What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Thanks (and as Ron hinted, that's not all of them, so no scaring - this time). Invented in England in 1914 and patented in America in 1915, stainless steel was first produced in the U.S.A. at the Cyclops Steel Company (Titusville, PA) in 1917. Queen City Cutlery, also located in Titusville, was one of the first American Cutlery firms to use stainless steel, which they proudly called "Queen Steel". I understand that this started in the early 1920s. All of those pictured are Queen Steel. I have some early Queen City knives that may have carbon steel, but I need to look more closely to tell (they are 1922 or later, so I tend to believe they are Queen Steel). All of my Schatt & Morgans pre-date the firm's bankruptcy (1929?) and are carbon steel constructed (I think - need to look sometime).
- Stuart

Thank you for your answer Stuart, a very interesting story!

T%20Ablett%2003.jpg

Thanks, Ron. I like your two totes today, too. Woodn't mind seeing them more often.

Thanks (and as Ron hinted, that's not all of them, so no scaring - this time). Invented in England in 1914 and patented in America in 1915, stainless steel was first produced in the U.S.A. at the Cyclops Steel Company (Titusville, PA) in 1917. Queen City Cutlery, also located in Titusville, was one of the first American Cutlery firms to use stainless steel, which they proudly called "Queen Steel". I understand that this started in the early 1920s. All of those pictured are Queen Steel. I have some early Queen City knives that may have carbon steel, but I need to look more closely to tell (they are 1922 or later, so I tend to believe they are Queen Steel). All of my Schatt & Morgans pre-date the firm's bankruptcy (1929?) and are carbon steel constructed (I think - need to look sometime).
- Stuart
Thanks for the compliment Stuart! That’s a great bit of info about Queen and their use of various steels. Just a bit of information that some here may not know. The building that houses Great Eastern Cutlery was once the lab of Cyclops Steel Company. GEC uses the Cyclops Steel Works stamp on their 440C stainless steel models. Here’s a couple of photos for reference.

48055403457_19190ed9ea_b_d.jpg

48055537258_81b657af23_b_d.jpg

Going with a couple in Ironwood for today.

z9gSUo3.jpg
Beautiful Dylan! :thumbsup: A pair that is not only stunning to look at, but extremely versatile with the blade choices you have! :)

Harvey, that’s a great photo of your AC! :thumbsup: Yours has some beautiful Stag! :thumbsup: Come to think of it, they are all beauties! :cool:

I’m carrying two today. I have a favorite Case Copperhead in Tru Sharp that kept me company while I enjoyed my last cup of coffee for the morning and my Ebony ‘18 Guardians Lambsfoot. :D

48014699206_d2af5fd394_b_d.jpg

47957911946_03330f81a6_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
- Stuart
Listened to this at breakfast yesterday. Made me teary-eyed from laughing. :p:thumbsup::cool:

... Had this boy’s knife with me at the beach today.
This boy likes that knife, Nick! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I see why it inspired Stuart!
Inspired by Nick's @kai76 Miller Brothers posting today, I popped this one in my pocket for Wooden Wednesday totin'.

bwOVMxY.jpg

- Stuart
Wondrous wood on your Miller Bros., Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I've seen some marvelous old Miller Bros knives here, so I thought I'd try a Frost version that uses that name. It arrived last week and I'm sad (but not very surprised) that it turned out to be less than mediocre. :(

My trusty old Remington BSA and a hard working Bullnose should make a good pair for today :)

Couple of classics, @JJ Cahill! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I didn’t store them away GT, they’re laying on my desk, so they’ll be back in my pocket soon. Number one carry since 1973 for me is a Stockman, I don’t see that ever changing, but the ALOX has earned a place in my carry rotation. OH
Good to hear! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I think of the Vic Electrician as the SAK punch stockman, with spear (instead of clip), sheep, and punch, plus bottle opener.

Thanks, I think, Jeff. ;):thumbsup: Were you wowed by the three anchor-shield folders, or by the blank-eyed hedgehog? :rolleyes:

That's a nice big/small pair! :cool::thumbsup::cool: What are the model numbers? (Is the small one an 18OT?)

I will try, GT. The sad part is that I always start missing work about two weeks in to my vacation.

It's on my list to try.
I don't think it's sad that you start missing work. I think it's fantastic that you have a job you enjoy that much! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

What a beautiful group of Otters GT :thumbsup::)
That's a fine looking canoe, when I first started collecting slip joints the Canoe was my pattern.
Thanks, Dave. :) Although they have anchors on them, they're made by Cannon, not Otter; good solid knives, though, and no regrets about getting them. :cool:
I didn't even know what a canoe pattern was 6 years ago, and now I have dozens of them! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

I've heard of beach totes, but I'm sure I like your beach Totem better, Dave! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Gary. I bought it last year, and carry it frequently. It's in my pocket now, and a matching trapper on my belt. I can see why they are Case's biggest sellers.

Finished the book last night. I recommend it. I think you'd like it: lot of analytics.
Look what I picked up last week:
NhXlbgk.jpg

The "best baseball book of all time", according to Red Barber; and:
G47f8Et.jpg

A 1988 first edition in good condition with dust cover.

Love those canoes. Did you buy the blue one because you're a Mason, or because it looks so cool?
Thanks for the info on your amber bone stockman, Vince; I guess I never noticed it before. :thumbsup::cool:
It's been quite a while since I read Ritter's book, but I enjoyed it, and it shows up on lots of "Top 10 Baseball Books" lists, not just Barber's. Ryan was a Unicorn! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm not a Mason, but I like the square and dividers/compass (and letter "G" :rolleyes:) in the Masonic logo, and I've lately developed a huge empathy for the "In Search of More Light" motto.

Thanks for the nice words Gary and OH. Gary, it’s a forged USA made for Sears by Camillus, pretty much a Camillus 69. I like that Okapi of yours, I’ve never handled one before but it looks like one solid knife! You really have a wide variety of knives in your collection.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the ID, Nick. :) And thanks for your interest in the Okapi; I really like the "external spring".

Welcome to Wee Wednesday! :D:p:D

FJaWroG.jpg
Dynamite red/black pairing, Del! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today though, I've carrying a Hartshead Barlow, and one of the knives Duncan very generously gifted me, a fabulous little #66 Stockman :) :thumbsup:

Zmz4If6.jpg

vepooFT.jpg
Very handsome covers on both knives, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

I never get tired of seeing your Colt Canoe. :cool: :thumbsup:
Here's another vote for the Classy Colt Canoe in stag, Gary. :thumbsup:
5K Qs 5K Qs - GT my vote goes to the Colt Stag Canoe as well!
Thanks for the Colt Canoe support, John & Dean & Dwight. :) I have several Colt stag patterns, and they're all top-notch IMHO.

Certainly one of my favorites of your Barlows, Dean, and the bucolic background makes for an idyllic photo! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I've seen enough of Steve's knives to know he can pull out a winning hand, GT. My stepfather told me: if you are playing cards and can't tell who the pigeon is, you're the pigeon. I do have these up my sleeve though:

uPSqBRd.jpg

You have a nice fleet of canoes there, GT. The RR and Colt look so similar - match strike pulls, slanted lined bolsters (though the Colt's are pinched) - they could be from the same maker. For some reason, though, the mini canoe caught my eye. What a beauty!
-Stuart
Holy Mound of Her Majesties, Stuart!!! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the canoe comments. :) The green pick bone H&R is certainly a gem; thanks!

Good Morning and Happy Wooden Wednesday.
eYIALhp.jpg

Switched out the fixed blade on my belt for a LB7, just wanted to change it up a bit. So for Wooden Wednesday a trifecta of wood and brass
Great minds think alike Dylan!
g1cFmG6.jpg
Woo Hoo! World-class Wednesday wood, John & David & Dylan & Dave & Taylor

Well I just weighed the 110 and it clocked 7oz and the 55 1oz :eek:
W:eek:W!! That IS an unexpected weight difference! Thanks for checking. :cool::thumbsup:

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. My Blues are facing a tough Boston Bruins team. I haven’t shaved in weeks (the playoff beard is a tradition in the National Hockey League), and I am carrying my Blues inspired trio of knives. I have had great fun this post season, regardless of the final score tonight.
JMHgpoj.jpg
Congrats (and Gloria), Tom; I hope the Blues reserve a seat for you and your team-colored knife trios in the victory parade!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D:cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs Thank you GT. Those Sailors are beautiful.
My AC Lamb
View attachment 1143744
Thanks, Harvey. :) Speaking of beautiful, that photo of your AC is achingly, indescribably, sensational! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

At the beach again today and have this little Robeson No-Rustain with me.
Got any beach knife "tips" for the rest of us, Nick? ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cranberry Acrylic:thumbsup:
ojyQTb.jpg

Congrats St Louis, been a spell:thumbsup:
Paul, that half-congress is really a looker! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

For Thursday:
9Qw4I3p.jpg

From @ArtesaniaHerreros, Albacete, España.

And:
yWTSkAk.jpg

From A. Wright & Son, Sheffield, England.
Lovely euro-pair, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today it looks like I'll pair up a tough, old Camillus soldier with a new GEC recruit :)

You build some dynamic duos, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Back