What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Strange about the cartoons. Rocky and Bullwinkle may have been my favorite (including Mr. Peabody, Fractured Fairy Tales, etc.). Like you, I didn't care much for Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck, although I did like some of the "dramas" on Mickey Mouse Club (Corky and White Shadow, Spin & Marty are a couple I remember), but watched Mighty Mouse and Underdog most Saturdays. Speedy G and Road Runner were both great, as were Bugs B and Tweety Bird. I liked Quick Draw McGraw and Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Flintstones, a lot of those Hanna Barbera evening shows. Remember Tom Terrific from Captain Kangaroo? Tell me what knife you think each character would carry! :D
Speedy González: spanish navaja; Inspector Clouseau: laguiole; Popeye: sheepsfoot; Sam Sheepdog: lambsfoot; Wily Coyote: trapper; Pepé le Pew: Douk-Douk; Tweety Bird: peanut; Foghorn Leghorn: sod buster.

Congrats on the slimline trapper (delrin?), and absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: What size and maker for your adjustable wrench? I recently picked up a 4" Tekton that I think I'll be very happy to carry.
Thanks, I'm certainly liking it so far.

The adjustable Is a MAC 4".

Cool trio of knives, Dave, but I have to confess the wood in which they're placed has most of my attention! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Did you custom make that? How many knives will a "tray" like that hold?
Thanks, GT this is a small display case with clear plexiglass cover it holds three. I purchased it through a GEC dealer whom I should not name as I'm not sure if he is a paid member?

Also carried is my new obsession, the "SwissTank".

6AW0ok1h.jpg

Strange about the cartoons. Rocky and Bullwinkle may have been my favorite (including Mr. Peabody, Fractured Fairy Tales, etc.). Like you, I didn't care much for Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck, although I did like some of the "dramas" on Mickey Mouse Club (Corky and White Shadow, Spin & Marty are a couple I remember), but watched Mighty Mouse and Underdog most Saturdays. Speedy G and Road Runner were both great, as were Bugs B and Tweety Bird. I liked Quick Draw McGraw and Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Flintstones, a lot of those Hanna Barbera evening shows. Remember Tom Terrific from Captain Kangaroo? Tell me what knife you think each character would carry! :D

- GT
I immediately pictured the Tasmanian Devil carrying Buzz's swiss tank! :D

Carried 2 Schatt & Morgans today. The large bone pen knife is a nice knife, even with some blade rub spots, just wish the keystone shield was a bit smaller or not there at all. Detracts from the nice bone jigging IMO. The rosewood jack from the heritage series is near perfect for my taste. I love the blade shape, long pull nail nick, steel pins and liner and the scales.View attachment 1159685View attachment 1159686

@5K Qs
Thanks GT, they get the work done in splendid fashion. I do occasionally take a pearl to work, I carried a pearl Bulldog copperhead earlier this week. The copperhead was more on lunch duty though ;). The big Camillus is a good tough knife,a well dressed worker :cool: Though the more utilitarian knives see most of the use:thumbsup:

Love the Doctor Who quote. :cool: :thumbsup:
Also, I assume by your username that you are a Jeep Guy.
We must be kindred spirits... :D

Thank you! The 10th and 11th Doctors were my favorite, although I'm quite a bit behind and need to catch up.

I like Jeeps, but I've never owned and can't consider myself a Jeep guy. My username came about from when I first found the forum. My first quality knife was an Emerson. I joined the forum and thought I'd only be buying Emersons. I discovered other brands immediately and the addiction took off. I thought I'd always have something with a Wave in my pocket. Hence the username.

I was entirely wrong.

Last edited:
Thank you! The 10th and 11th Doctors were my favorite, although I'm quite a bit behind and need to catch up.

I like Jeeps, but I've never owned and can't consider myself a Jeep guy. My username came about from when I first found the forum. My first quality knife was an Emerson. I joined the forum and thought I'd be only be buying Emersons. I discovered other brands immediately and the addiction took off. I thought I'd always have something with a Wave in my pocket. Hence the username.

I was entirely wrong.
Great story. I thought for sure it was a Jeep Wave from a guy with a JK Jeep. :D
Definitely catch up on Doctors, there has been some excellent episodes. :cool: :thumbsup:

I appreciate your comments, Harvey and Jeff and José. :) One of the features of the Opinel I really like is the oak handle; I think all my other Opinels are the standard beech. Jeff, I have to confess that my Sabre is not sharp at all! I took it with us on vacation one summer and worked it on a carborundum stone (and some DMT diamond "credit cards") a LOT and got nowhere with it. My technique has improved since then and I should give it another shot one of these days.

Seems like you can't go wrong with that pair, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Are you replacing the roof from the rafters out, or just reshingling (or re-tin-roofing)?

- GT

Putting up corrugated sheet metal. (Thank goodness). Right over the old shingles.
My job today was standing up on the lift right at the eave, measuring and marking 2x4s, and passing them up. They are being nailed over the old roof horizontally, through the old roofing, right down into the rafters, and the sheet metal will be nailed to them. Expedient, strong, and watertight. The owner, a good friend of mine, is a highly skilled carpenter and worker of wood, his wife is my bandmate, and the barn is where our monthly worship events are held.
Truthfully, I was not doing anything that a 13 year old kid couldn't do, but it saves him from having to climb up and down, makes it go much faster, and we had good conversation.

When you're working out how to get a razor edge, don't forget to start with a low angle back edge. Then raise the blade for a higher angle, and the edge will only take a few strokes. Usually! :D

Back