What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

U2R1YUq.jpg

yiGhIaO.jpg

Carrying this Case XX 92 Texas Jack today. Made when Case was at the top of their game, it's hard to find a finer knife. Got lucky for $15 at a flea market. Still with factory edge.:D
Hope everyone has a good one.:thumbsup:

They are very much appreciated Rachel :)

WouxqES.jpg

Nice pairing :thumbsup:

Morning folks, all stag for me today :) :thumbsup:

GzA2QZ5.jpg

oCdNnaD.jpg

Lovely Stag, Jack and cool fish knives!:cool:

I think the posts quoted here are mostly from Monday; I'm running behind again. :(
I don't think that you had ever told me that Gary . I have only actually seen them installed once on a pair of working Oxen . It makes a lot of sense to install them on any pair of long horns that you want to leave on . I learned at a young age that a large animal can put a hurt on you just by moving their head to chase a fly .
Take care my friend .
Harry
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are very kind, my friend! Yes, my first try at jigging.
I’m trying to decide if I should dye it some more, so the white parts get darkened a bit?
After re-assembly, the pull was so stout, I could barely open it with pliers. Thanks to the forum search function, I found an old @glennbad post in which he divulged the secret of how to reduce the pull.:thumbsup:
That's impressive DIY jigging, Jeff!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: What tool(s) did you use? Is some kind of "jig" actually involved? I don't think I know the origin of the word in the bone context. Was the re-assembly "secret" the one about a razor blade shim in the pivot?

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. The four you’re carrying are superb, especially the Cas.
I appreciate your remarks, Harvey. :)

Thanks Gary!!! I agree that this "mid sized" SAK is an optimal mix of tools and pocket usage! The Christopher Johnson (CJ) company probably reached its zenith in the early 20th century (they closed in '52 or so); I saw a cool old silent film showing off their production around WWI and that started my hunt!:rolleyes:

Thanks again Gary!!! Great to have a weekly peek at your Quartet; I have a Trio that is with me every day, (in my car.) Congratulations on your BB sowbelly acquisition; I'm sure you will be "over the moon!":thumbsup::thumbsup::eek:
Thanks for the CJ info, JJ; I learn something on BF almost every day! :cool::thumbsup: (Now if only I could remember it all ...:rolleyes:)
What's your traveling trio?
I'm definitely "over the moon" about the sowbelly that arrived Monday; have to get some photos.

Todays totes are a Bull Moose from GEC and a Daddy Barlow from the Robeson strawberry bone era. :D
Impressive cumulative blade length in that pair! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks much Gary!:thumbsup: Your 4 regulars are certainly capable of getting things done!:thumbsup::cool:
Thanks, Mark. :)

Thanks GT. For the white bone sowbelly I simmered it in an inch of heated water on the stove for 15 minutes and then submerged it in a weak Rit dye solution for less than 1 minute before removing and wiping down. The dye solution was roughly 1 oz. lemon yellow, 1/2 teaspoon dark brown and 14 oz. boiling water.
Thanks for the recipe; it sure turned out well! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Queen #10 today

xEqSWzPh.jpg
Bewitching bone, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Monday, Monday! Can't trust that day!
JF2nNha.jpg
Stellar stag canoe, Gary! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Is that the smaller size, or the normal 3 5/8"?

These 2 today to ward off the blues from that Monday guy, watch out for that one time...
Y:eek:WZA! That's a preeminent pair, Nick! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

It has been a favorite for a while but carried somewhat sparingly so as to preserve it but I like it so much I figured why not carry it much more often. It's dang near perfect as an edc and if the worst should happen I do have several more.
Sounds like irrefutable logic to me! ;):cool::cool:

Thanks Gary, yes, it was the forum knife :) Intelligent question about those sheep my friend. Farmers here mark them with dye (various colours) for a number of reasons, a lot of sheep here are just grazed on the moor, so it allows farmers to identify their stock, but dyes are also used for all sorts of other reasons, to denote which ones have been vaccinated for instance, or which ones need treatment of some kind. Dyes are even used to denote which ewes have been visited by the ram. In some cases I guess it also means they are off to market! :eek: :thumbsup:

Always a treat to see your Eternals :) :thumbsup:
I've been over in the City of York today, carrying my Damascus Lambsfoot and #44 Buffalo Jack :) Hope everyone's week is off to a good start :thumbsup:

TWiqTM3.jpg

S7dOXYn.jpg
Thanks for the info about the red-butt sheep, Jack! ;):thumbsup::cool:
Outstanding duo for your York trip! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Pretty pleasing peanut, GT.
Thanks, GT. I laying a trap for my buddy who has the Case stockman.

As fast as they were flying, I was the one left weeping and wondering, GT.
- Stuart
Thanks for the personal attention you give to so many of us in your multi quotes, Stuart! :):thumbsup:

" Blue on blue. Sky's in your eyes." (Apologies to Joni Mitchell.) I'm totin' a Case of the blues today.
wBTSgUz.jpg

- Stuart
Your trio of Case blues blew me away, Stuart! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary. I carried the Uncle Henry 885 because I'm on a stockman kick lately and I kinda forgot I had this one. :confused::D:eek:

Thank you, Gary! I could have said I've had it a little over half my life.:)

It's always good to see your Fantastic Four. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :) Re-discovering a knife you've had so long must be a treat! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Schrade Barlow circa 1904 - 1946.

Such a distinctive knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: You have a lot of splendid Barlows, Dean, but that's probably the one I like best. :)

I took a whole bunch of knives out there to test on the strapping. All were paper cutting sharp. Nothing scientific, just thought you all might be interested. These three did the best...
Thanks for the research report, John. :):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: First-rate trio of knives!

- GT

U2R1YUq.jpg

yiGhIaO.jpg

Carrying this Case XX 92 Texas Jack today. Made when Case was at the top of their game, it's hard to find a finer knife. Got lucky for $15 at a flea market. Still with factory edge.:D

Thanks very much Mark, you got a great bargain there, fine pattern :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info about the red-butt sheep, Jack! ;):thumbsup::cool:
Outstanding duo for your York trip! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks a lot Gary :) :thumbsup:

U2R1YUq.jpg

yiGhIaO.jpg

Ain't estate sales wonderful? Beautiful old Case. I might carry a "new" estate sale find myself today :)

My Stag Stockyard Whittler:thumbsup:
MgbF0r.jpg

te7y9v.jpg
Wow Paul! You got a beautiful example my friend! :thumbsup: :D

U2R1YUq.jpg

yiGhIaO.jpg

Mark, it doesn’t get much better than that XX 6292! :thumbsup: :cool:

U2R1YUq.jpg

yiGhIaO.jpg

Nice! You have a beautiful one with great bone color.

Thanks for the research report, John. :):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: First-rate trio of knives!
I guess it was no surprise that the bigger knives fared the best.

Nice reverse dogleg, Dave. :cool: :thumbsup:

That’s a stunner to me!
U2R1YUq.jpg

yiGhIaO.jpg

Wow. This is why I like to poke around a flea market once in a while.
That’s nice at any price.
That's impressive DIY jigging, Jeff!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: What tool(s) did you use? Is some kind of "jig" actually involved? I don't think I know the origin of the word in the bone context. Was the re-assembly "secret" the one about a razor blade shim in the pivot?

- GT
I appreciate your compliments and interest, my friend! Very kind.
E65C352D-7B57-48FF-BC11-19D2E664C624.jpeg
I used this bit in a Dremel.
Put on the cheaters/magnifying readers, and picked out one of my Voos knives to set in front of me for inspiration.

No, not the razor blade thing. Sometimes, after I get the last pin in, and test out the pull, and how well the spring and blade work together, the pull is too hard. This one was darn near impossible to open, I couldn’t imagine using it like that after sharpening the blade.
I found a thread from a few years ago in which @glennbad mentioned carefully working the blade tang to ease the pull. It works. And also helped my understanding of how the tang and spring work together in opening, half stops, and closing.

Schrade Walden 163 rope knife in walnut, and a modded Camillus TL-29 in bocote for Woodnesday.
BBD57DB8-7156-4ECE-B1E4-50E26F764DC2.jpeg B84E099D-4EF4-4FF3-9F43-3B8ED58A1EA3.jpeg And a couple of leaves.
I grew this sugar maple from seed, and it’s now about 14 or 15 inches at the base. Every year, one particular branch starts to turn color while the entire rest of the tree is solidly green still.

Back