What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

kGKGIRY.jpg

Nice looking buck, and buck knife. Don’t lose that hat!!! Sometimes I believe in a little superstition, at least that’s what I tell myself:confused:

Good on ya Tom. I'm glad you got a nice buck!

It has been more than thirty years now since I've been out for deer.
Humph...

Micheal

P.S. Don't lose that hat

Thanks 315 and Michael, much appreciated. The hat will find a permanent place for sure. Maybe I'll hang it from 3 Strikes antlers :)

Congrats, Tom, I leave tomorrow for southern Illinois whitetail hunting. Hopefully I have success as well, but however, it's a great time!

Good luck Jeff! I'd be curious to see what knives you are bringing.

Beautiful buck Tom - congratulations on getting it all tied together again. Your family hunting lore continues....OH

Thanks Bruce! Greatly appreciated.

I was going to suggest that. I suspect my late mother of hiding my car keys on All Saints Sunday so I'd miss the most tear-jerking parts of the service.

Nice knife, Whetstone39 Whetstone39 .

Yikes :eek: Thanks Jer! :)

Nice buck!
I had to look up that word you used to describe your hat ~ I thought it might be a fancy word for ugly!
And if you ever saw my favorite hats, you’d know that is a good thing. I figure the uglier my hat is, the better I look in contrast.

Today I have the Eagle in ebony, and Camillus in cocobolo.View attachment 1235839

Thanks Jeff! My ugly hat collection is expanding, so I agree with you :).

Remember these posts from last week?? :rolleyes: (Remember the old phrase, "a day late and a dollar short"? For me, it's more like, "a week late and a C-note short".
Yep, that one.
- Stuart
Nice Colonial Gary :thumbsup:
Another nice group of knives! The Colonial Jack is particularly good looking. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the surprising kindness regarding the inexpensive little Colonial jack, Stuart & Jack & Dean. :) It's really quite an unremarkable small pocket knife (other than it's a representative of perhaps millions of similar knives made back then). But the photo I posted is one of my best efforts and perhaps makes the knife look better than it is. ;):rolleyes:

I have carried this Buck 2019 forum knife almost everyday since it arrived. Tonight I spent 5 minutes to touch up the blades for the first time. It has seen a lot of carry and use and is holding up great. Buck did a great job on these.

View attachment 1232383
Impressive testimonial! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

For Friday I've got a couple from the 1920-30s era; a black EE Pen and a bone covered Jack, both by Robeson.:)
For Saturday "Surf and Turf" is on the menu; A BB Win wearing Abalone and a Navy EO jack wearing bovine.:)
Ravishing vintage Robesons from Rochester, JJ, and equally enchanting "Surf & Turf"! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite from those duos; coin flips say the Robeson pen knife and the Imperial EO swell end jack! ;)

Today with M. May barlow cherry wood lambsfoot.;):thumbsup:
Very classy wood Barlow, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you kindly, Gary !! It was supposed to snow, but alas no snow photographs for you ;):) a euclidean deductive sproof ( joke ):D

My Wyoming friends hate shoveling snow
I appreciate that, Gev! :D I thought I'd lobby against snow photos this season in the hope that "Without pictures, it didn't happen" might actually be a natural law! ;)

Thanks Gary and nice muskrat !
Thank you Gary, in response to your question on whether it's still a gunstock, I'd say with uncertainty, yes?:) honestly, I don't knowo_O:);)

I like your Colt, they always have quality covers, the stag on yours is very nice:thumbsup:
Good to see you Colt stag muskrat; nothing like that Colt stag.
What a handsome muskrat, GT.
- Stuart
Thanks for the muskrat love, Steve & Paul & Dean & Stuart. :) (Haven't thought of the Captain and Tennille for a LONG time, perhaps understandably so. :rolleyes:)

5K Qs 5K Qs ~ As usual, I enjoy and appreciate your comments, and I have the same memory of that wretched smell. Grandma had the decency to get her “perms” at her “beauty operator”, but Mom fell for the advertising in McCalls and House and Garden for the do it yerself and stink up the house stuff. And then how about when everybody was packed into the Mercury station wagon, and Mom had to paint her nails?:eek:
Thanks for the memories!

I’m going utilitarian today.
View attachment 1232516
Thanks GT, reading your post brought back the awful smell of the 'permanent solution' (which I encountered just like you) instantly! :eek: :thumbsdown:
Thanks for sharing the olfactory horror with me, Jeff & Jack! :D I grew up on a dairy farm, and found the smell of fresh cow manure much less offensive to me than was the smell of hair "perms" and nail polish! :thumbsdown:
Really like your "orange stag" sodbuster, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Cold and wet here again, and I've only been out to go to the dentist o_O Carrying this Old Friend today, my Unity Lambsfoot :) Have a good Friday folks, and a great weekend :thumbsup:

2wywyQ6.jpg
What kind of nuts are those with your unparalleled Unity lambsfoot, Jack? :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Did you get your crown replaced?

Thank you, Gary. You are correct, I was in the US Army. No particular reason why we all chose different services, just decisions of the moment when we were all 18.

Thank you, Gary! My Zytel stockman is indeed a 318. I have two minds about it. It is by far the best made of my five '318s, but the handles are way two thick. I'll probably start carrying it a little during the winter though.
Thanks for the info, Dean. The Zytel covers are quite thick, but my pockets are usually roomy, so I don't mind. ;)
Impressive Orchard Gem that you posted! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Keen Kutter Cattle knife and a #74

z96EADd.jpg
Old Friends Friday with a couple of old friends.
IOLpRiE.jpg

"Lean on me, big buddy."
- Stuart
Phenomenal pairs of knives, Steve & Stuart, especially the jigged bone Keen Kutter and Primble jacks that strike me as a winning 3 of a kind! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you. So far, so good. Life is good regardless of the issues we all have to deal with. Watching the knives and discussions here and getting the occasional traditional knife are one of my small joys in life.
I moved the #44 on, but when I get better I will likely have another.
:thumbsup: Yes, life is good. That realization, as well as taking pleasure in small things often comes after having been knocked down and kicked around a bit. Thanks for the reminder, my friend!
Voos & Buck
Cow bone & elk antler
View attachment 1233139
Mayonardo Mayonardo & Jeff, thanks for being such inspiring role models when it comes to keeping life's events in perspective! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Two satisfying knives, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Pour samedi:
ln3Zdt2.jpg

X5Alz75.jpg
Vince, très beaux couteaux!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Google translator and I made French poetry!! :thumbsup::D:rolleyes:)

Thank you kindly Gary!!! Quite the handsome pair you have today; always enthralled by the Hartshead Barlow!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I appreciate the appreciation, JJ. :)

Two signs you're getting older... Barlows and hard candies!!! :D
Tasty pair, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ha! :D I think my grandma always had some kind of hard candy in her purse. If we were lucky, they were the raspberry ones. I wonder if she had a Barlow in there, too. ;)

Toting my newest centenarian today:
KbAZceK.jpg

RW7n8ZS.jpg
Congrats on another charmer from a century ago, Rachel; the wear and fade on the pile side is especially enchanting! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
One of my grandmas always had peppermints (white, pink, and brown/chocolate) in her purse, which were good once you got past the initial perfume taste. :rolleyes: She also had these little tiny licorice cough drop things called Helps. Those were so nasty that the sight of them could suppress a cough to avoid Grandma making you put one in your mouth! :eek:

Speaking of Belknap Hardware Co,. I feel compelled to tote this one around today.
cOGScIk.jpg

- Stuart
That's a beauty, Stuart! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I have a Belknap Blue Grass Barlow, but mine has synthetic covers and the clip blade has textbook recurve. :rolleyes: Still like it a lot, though:
belknap.pile.Vstand.deck.jpg

Lovely "water shot" of your fancy AC, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Would you believe a gartner snake would be out in November?
6ITxWaN.jpg

Makes for an excellent photo of your orange GEC sodbuster! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Oh boy! The Haywood is great.

Today I have the Eagle in ebony, and Camillus in cocobolo.View attachment 1235839

Thanks a lot Jeff, that's some fab-looking wood :) :thumbsup:

Pile side shot of my Sword Brand Jack

4AMjHei.jpg

Very nice Steve :thumbsup:

Cool pic Vince :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing the olfactory horror with me, Jeff & Jack! :D I grew up on a dairy farm, and found the smell of fresh cow manure much less offensive to me than was the smell of hair "perms" and nail polish! :thumbsdown:

What kind of nuts are those with your unparalleled Unity lambsfoot, Jack? :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Did you get your crown replaced?

Me too Gary, though I just thought that's just how the countryside smelled! :D :thumbsup:

Those are Turkish Hazelnuts my friend, I gathered them just down the road, actually just opposite my dentists. I did thankyou, just needing sticking back in (though I am finding it a little proud) :thumbsup:

Lovely "water shot" of your fancy AC, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks again Gary :D :thumbsup:

My carries of the day are not 100 yrs old, but are older than me, so that makes them antiques.
Finding knives older than we are gets harder every year, doesn't it? ;)
Congrats on another charmer from a century ago, Rachel; the wear and fade on the pile side is especially enchanting! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
One of my grandmas always had peppermints (white, pink, and brown/chocolate) in her purse, which were good once you got past the initial perfume taste. :rolleyes: She also had these little tiny licorice cough drop things called Helps. Those were so nasty that the sight of them could suppress a cough to avoid Grandma making you put one in your mouth! :eek:
Thanks, Gary. I also find the pile side jigging at least, if not more, interesting. In the right lighting, I almost see a zig-zag pattern.
I'm not sure thanks are in order for posting that video. I only vaguely remember the song, and had to google the lyrics to make sure I was hearing them correctly. :confused::eek:

Nibbling on bacon, chewing on cheese
Sam says to Suzie, Honey, would you please be my Mrs.
Suzie says yes with her kisses
Now he's tickling her fancy, rubbing her toes
Muzzle to muzzle, now, anything goes as they wriggle,
Sue starts to giggle...o_O

Speaking of interesting old fashioned candy, here's some from our friend in Yorkshire, along with an ebony Lambsfoot for Wooden Wednesday.
JVPMUy7.jpg

It was with me all day in the shop. But never came out. Recurve, thin edge and all, it’s just not gonna be effective at cutting 1/2”x1/2” steel tubing. Lol. But now I’m outside grilling burgers for my mom and it’s still in my pocket. Yes I did copy and paste from the 86 thread hah.

E54113DE-407D-48FD-9921-299DCC069F28.jpeg

Thanks for the info Dylan, sounds fantastic :cool: Nice Red 'n' Black pairing my friend :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. That Joseph Haywood is rather interesting with its robust tang and substantial kick, quite a nice looking knife and the Lambsfoot, of course, goes without saying :cool:.

A couple dressed all in black for me today.

xaexMsg.jpg

Nice, buddy! I believe you are the custodian of some old Russel barlows as well.
My carries of the day are not 100 yrs old, but are older than me, so that makes them antiques.
]
You are correct . I do have a couple of old Russells and a few of the Russell Commemoratives . I also have a few other ones that are very probably over 100 .

Harry

Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Robt. Klaas mini canoe:
canoe.red.mark.closed.jpg

Big Knife of the Week is an Imperial USA 4" clip/pen toothpick (thanks, Dave):
toothpick.Vpen.dogs.jpg

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is a Camillus 21, along with the tie I wore, among other garments, for our wedding (thanks, Mike):
wedding.tie.camillus.21.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Sarge BSA Barlow:
sarge.pile.open.cap.jpg

- GT

Thanks Jack!!! Your two for today make an excellent pair; really like the stag on your Ashley's Choice lamb!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you kindly Paul!!! Apparently the majority of these "Whit-L-Crafts" were made in the 1930's for the Boy Scouts based on a survey Catt did with the BSA in the late '20s.:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You certainly have a constant flow of beauties, both here and on the "Old Knives" post; love the stag on these two today!:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you very much Harvey!!!

Thanks JJ:):thumbsup:

Nice, buddy! I believe you are the custodian of some old Russel barlows as well.

I don’t know if he dyed the stag before shaping it, but the color is superb!

Nice buck!
I had to look up that word you used to describe your hat ~ I thought it might be a fancy word for ugly!
And if you ever saw my favorite hats, you’d know that is a good thing. I figure the uglier my hat is, the better I look in contrast.

Oh boy! The Haywood is great.

Thanks Jeff, I can't speak to Mark's process in regards to the stag, but it's certainly one of my most comfortable and favorite fixed blades:thumbsup:

Back