What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Here's one that definitely toes the line between modern and traditional: Fox Knives Elite 271 in N690 and tulip wood covers--made in Italy. The vendor I bought it from had it in the 'traditional' category (liner-lock with stand-offs, btw)... what say you?

View attachment 1316836
Looks close enough to me.
This is what I used today doing outside chores. Western L88 in a Marbles sheath [fits perfectly],a 501 and the constant Tinker.
F1zvLaF.jpg
Western was never a glamour brand, but I still love them. Maybe the reverse snob in me loves them more.
Today with a sailor Victorinox.;):thumbsup:

I'll betray my ignorance: what all does that nautical blade do?
Danke schön, Harvey! :)
- GT
It would be quite a coincidence if that accordion-playing Yankovic were unrelated to Weird Al, I've always thought. Never thought to google it.

Tungsten Kutmaster again:
a5HgOQ7.jpg

Speaking of reverse snobbery, do us plain folks spell glamor with a u?

Last edited:
Some quotes from Saturday, I think. The days are all blending together. :rolleyes:
It’s Schradurday!
The lil 12OT jack is replacing the Case Peanut in my guitar pick pocket, and the 33OT, 194OT, and 2048 SW will be competing for favor. Gimme something to cut!View attachment 1315208View attachment 1315209
Impressive Schrade Parade, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Are you doing any kind of church music these days of social distancing?

A pile of Ebony for me today...
Elegant ebony, John! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’m doing some things around the house today! :rolleyes: These two will be helping out! :) :thumbsup:
You must have had big plans if you chose those big knives, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1315246 View attachment 1315247 View attachment 1315245

I usually avoid modifying my knives with a couple of exceptions. But the smooth bone 78 seemed to be the perfect pallet for scrimshaw. I sent this knife to a very talented artist named Linda Layden, and I love what she did to to this knife. It really captures my imagination and seems to adhere to the time honored tradition of seafaring knives.
That she blows! ;) First-rate scrimshaw on your 78, LT!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Two 861s, one recovered in amber stag by Glenn and the other an original in peachseed jigged bone.
The 861 is a great pattern, and that is a really nice 61ot. I have a few bone 861's with coined liners. Today I'm carrying the light brown one.

View attachment 1315464
I pulled out a 61OT, bought at Paul’s recommendation, to carry today.

C880-F599-B939-4195-B395-4868-E4-CCB50-F.jpg
Those Schrade 61 models are certainly sexy big stockmans!! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I have only a Chinese Schrade 61OT, and even that knife moves me! ;)

Smaller, but another sexy stockman, that makes me say "Uncle"! ;):cool::cool:

Grading their sharpness with my sharpness:
View attachment 1315401
Joshua, we discuss the "6 Ws" on the first day of my Intro Stats class when we define data as "information in context" and use the Ws to help explore the context of the data.

Lucky. I'm having a heck of a time getting my students to turn stuff in. They all think they're on vacation. :mad:
So far, my students seem to be doing OK with the online approach. I've done our current unit via a "flipped classroom" approach, and most students seem to be doing the before-class prep I'm requiring, as well as turning in their homework. But they're prospective elementary school teachers, so they'll do almost anything you ask them to do if you can justify that it will help them be more effective in their own future classrooms. Test on Thursday, so we'll see if they're actually learning much with this new-to-me approach I'm forced to use!

That's a fantastic line-up GT, great pics too :thumbsup:
Thanks for the encouraging words, Jack. :)

y57bo3o.jpg

GEC Tidioute 48 & Bark River Little Creek
Mike, the acrylic on your trapper is a real attention-grabber!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Wonderful knives, Gary.;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, José. :)

Your Colt stag muskrat is splendid, Gary. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :) I've probably posted this before, but I sure wish I'd have bought every Colt stag model I could get my hands on back when they were selling them for $20 apiece.

Fantastic photos of your Case Barlow and Vic Soldier, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Have this in my pocket today and in a slip because I do not like greenish colored Stag . One of my 73 Northfields .
Harry
Those stag 73s sure are classic knives, Harry!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~ I like how you captured the sunlight hitting the horn on your LF!

As I was about done working outside, I noticed the light from the setting sun hitting this beautiful little patch of moss.
Pic doesn’t really do it justice.
View attachment 1315828
Thanks, Jeff, and same to you! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Most of my well-lit photos are unintentional; I don't really have much of an eye for that sort of thing. Here's another "accident" with the same knife. I was just trying to get a pic on the top floor of the college library before the sun went down one January afternoon, but when I downloaded the shot from camera to laptop, I found that I'd captured a reflected sunset!
gl.pile.sunset.reflect.jpg

Brookes and Crookes Sheffield Lamb Foot.
Sheffield Shadow Pen.
Couple of delicious photos, Harvey! That shadow pen is a real delight!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

A couple of Imperial's first BSA scouts for today. :)
Pair of scintillating scouts, JJ! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I carry this more than any other knife I own. Try to keep it new looking. :):thumbsup:
View attachment 1315950
Your stag HHB rocks, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Little b&m DE jack this morning.
That butter and molasses is a gem, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sunday Voosday!
Like a rainbow after a flood, Crocus tells me better weather is ahead. And trust me, better days are ahead.
View attachment 1315948 Schrade 194 and a Voos barehead jack.
Voos arrow USA ~ likely WWII production as indicated by the steel liners...
View attachment 1315963 View attachment 1315949
And a little home made belt knife.
Va-Va-Voos!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
Love the crocus pics, Jeff; you inspired me to go out and get a couple of crocus shots of my own that I still have to "process". (Unfortunately, the clump of gorgeous crocuses I'd been planning to use for several weeks was suddenly worn out on Sunday. :()

- GT

Last edited:
Been using this quarantine time to get things done around the house. I was reorganizing the tools in my shed when I spotted a shelf of oil cans. I remembered the oil can photos in this thread so I grabbed the old MILSPEC Camillus pocketknife that hangs on a hook in the shed, and composed a quick pic. Not all contain oil, but all are “oil cans”. OH
Camillus-MILSPEC-1966.jpg
I recognize all of your oil can collection. I think that many of the same are currently in my shop. Now I'll have to get in there and organize the stuff...root hog or die!:D

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

These are in my pockets today .

Harry
It really doesn’t get much better than those two Harry! :thumbsup: :D

Great to see your carry choices for today Paul! :thumbsup: There’s not much those two won’t be able to handle! I hope y’all are safe and doing well my friend! Pam sends her regards too! :)

You must have had big plans if you chose those big knives, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, Jeff, and same to you! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Most of my well-lit photos are unintentional; I don't really have much of an eye for that sort of thing. Here's another "accident" with the same knife. I was just trying to get a pic on the top floor of the college library before the sun went down one January afternoon, but when I downloaded the shot from camera to laptop, I found that I'd captured a reflected sunset!
gl-pile-sunset-reflect-jpg.1317277
Gary, I guess I was thinking “Go big or go home”! ;) Oh! I forgot! I’m already HOME! :rolleyes: That’s a great photo of your Lambsfoot my friend! :thumbsup: Stay safe buddy! :)

Good morning everyone! :thumbsup: Hope y’all are staying safe wherever you are! :) Today I’m carrying these two! I’ve got one of my Wright’s small Sambar Lambsfoot knives. I’ve also got a 2001 Case 62109W (Wharncliffe) small Copperhead in White Jigged Bone. This one was a surprise addition in the box with another knife that I bought from Randy @r redden on the exchange several years ago. I haven’t heard anything from Randy lately. I hope he’s doing okay with all that’s going on lately! :)

49745740201_d4316cecce_o_d.jpg

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
Morning, Gary! I hope you’re well. Yes, those crocus come early, but fade fast. Went for a pre-supper walk with my girls
(wife and daughter) and my dog, and saw the crocus were done. But the daffodils are popping.
Sadly, no worship music other than practice on my own. Church is on hiatus, and my other band cancelled our worship for 3/21.
I thought you’d retired?? You’ve mentioned “the office”, and teaching online... maybe I misunderstood.

Some quotes from Saturday, I think. The days are all blending together. :rolleyes:

Impressive Schrade Parade, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Are you doing any kind of church music these days of social distancing?

That she blows! ;) First-rate scrimshaw on your 78, LT!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Those Schrade 61 models are certainly sexy big stockmans!! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I have only a Chinese Schrade 61OT, and even that knife moves me! ;)

Smaller, but another sexy stockman, that makes me say "Uncle"! ;):cool::cool:

Joshua, we discuss the "6 Ws" on the first day of my Intro Stats class when we define data as "information in context" and use the Ws to help explore the context of the data.

So far, my students seem to be doing OK with the online approach. I've done our current unit via a "flipped classroom" approach, and most students seem to be doing the before-class prep I'm requiring, as well as turning in their homework. But they're prospective elementary school teachers, so they'll do almost anything you ask them to do if you can justify that it will help them be more effective in their own future classrooms. Test on Thursday, so we'll see if they're actually learning much with this new-to-me approach I'm forced to use!

Thanks for the encouraging words, Jack. :)

Mike, the acrylic on your trapper is a real attention-grabber!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, José. :)

Thanks, Dean. :) I've probably posted this before, but I sure wish I'd have bought every Colt stag model I could get my hands on back when they were selling them for $20 apiece.

Fantastic photos of your Case Barlow and Vic Soldier, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Those stag 73s sure are classic knives, Harry!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1317277

Couple of delicious photos, Harvey! That shadow pen is a real delight!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Pair of scintillating scouts, JJ! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Your stag HHB rocks, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

That butter and molasses is a gem, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Va-Va-Voos!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
Love the crocus pics, Jeff; you inspired me to go out and get a couple of crocus shots of my own that I still have to "process". (Unfortunately, the clump of gorgeous crocuses I'd been planning to use for several weeks was suddenly worn out on Sunday. :()

- GT

Those W questions are indispensable for so many analyses!

Golden oldie and super practicality.

View attachment 1316829

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to break or wear out a 34ot, but to do that with a bone 861; fuhgeddaboudit.

Great-looking pair :thumbsup:

Just got this knife back from Joshua after he modified the blade shape and thinned the handles.
Dropping it in my pocket for a good long trial period. A stout user with an improved blade shape and scary sharp.

Good job! :cool: That looks nice John :thumbsup:

Wow, do you still have the scar? It sounds like you went to an interesting school. Nowadays, the students aren't concerned with much, I'd say. It's the teachers who have to mind their manners ;) Oh well, some of them were too heavy handed back in the day, I'm sure.

I just had to go and have a look in the bathroom mirror! :D Little more than a blemish after 50 years, you'd have to know where to look. Even some of my other knife scars have faded over the years. Those craft knives only had a blade about an inch long, but they were always encrusted in glue! :eek: I went to an interesting secondary school too, the pupils were a bit more violent, but the teachers weren't as brutal o_O :thumbsup:

A lambfoot and a sheepfoot in the pocket!
View attachment 1316953

Looking good Taylor :thumbsup:

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a white Imperial BSA (thanks, Rachel):
View attachment 1317110

Is that a new one Gary? Nice :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! You were sporting a tremendous trio today.

A couple in black for me today.

ACBXhRT.jpg

Thanks a lot pal, another pair of black beauties today :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Jack!!!
You continue to put together a terrific threesome; I liked the Tereva Jaakaripuukko so much I ended up with three of them, 2 regular and 1 long (10 & 12 CM)!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Quite the quartet Gary; I am still enthralled with your white Imperial BSA, very cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They're great aren't they JJ? :) I was going to order another the other day, but the model I wanted had sold out :( :thumbsup:

I'll be toting a sowbelly and a toothpick today. :)

Beautiful pair there my friend :thumbsup:

Fine triple play, Jack; I especially favor that Italian sodbuster! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

Been using this quarantine time to get things done around the house. I was reorganizing the tools in my shed when I spotted a shelf of oil cans. I remembered the oil can photos in this thread so I grabbed the old MILSPEC Camillus pocketknife that hangs on a hook in the shed, and composed a quick pic. Not all contain oil, but all are “oil cans”. OH

Cool can collection Bruce :cool: :thumbsup:

That worked out great Gary :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Good morning everyone! :thumbsup: Hope y’all are staying safe wherever you are! :) Today I’m carrying these two! I’ve got one of my Wright’s small Sambar Lambsfoot knives. I’ve also got a 2001 Case 62109W (Wharncliffe) small Copperhead in White Jigged Bone. This one was a surprise addition in the box with another knife that I bought from Randy @r redden on the exchange several years ago. I haven’t heard anything from Randy lately. I hope he’s doing okay with all that’s going on lately! :)

49745740201_d4316cecce_o_d.jpg

Nice pair Ron :thumbsup: Plus one on your thoughts about Randy :thumbsup:

Hi folks, I've had a surprisingly busy day today :rolleyes: Had these 3 with me :thumbsup:

6XeAnmm.jpg

N5LLtUw.jpg

4m6LKh8.jpg

It really doesn’t get much better than those two Harry! :thumbsup: :D
:)

Thank you very much my friend . You know that I have a couple of others that I could use but when I am going to be doing some work ( which is not often ) these 2 old guys are the ones that I just grab and slip into my pockets .

Harry

Thank you, Jack! You were sporting a tremendous trio today.

A couple in black for me today.

ACBXhRT.jpg

Outstanding pairing !

I'll be toting a sowbelly and a toothpick today. :)
Sweet beauties !

Great photo :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, GT. :)

they're prospective elementary school teachers
That explains it. ;)
All my students want to be hair dressers and tattoo artists.

That looks nice John
Thank you, Jack. :)
You noted, same as me, that the sodbuster blade was lacking for piercing tasks.
Maybe because we are so used to the Lambsfoot blade shape, who knows?
But I'm happy to report that simply dropping the tip on this blade has made it many times more useful.

Hi folks, I've had a surprisingly busy day today :rolleyes: Had these 3 with me :thumbsup:

6XeAnmm.jpg

N5LLtUw.jpg

4m6LKh8.jpg
Love the 50's era rocket ship. :cool::thumbsup:
Glad to hear you have a "busy" day. Hope that keeps Sonny and Cher away. ;)
That looks like a perfect trio of knives, with all the major blade shapes and tools accounted for. :cool::thumbsup:

Back