What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

9TiXxJX.jpg

A fine knife and one of my favourites, looks like it's one of the most CARRIED of all Forum Knives too judging by the amount of posts.

My pleasure my friend :D It was a ploy and now we are lounging in the Sun waiting for Marko to return ;)

49751734832_15294be651_b.jpg

Did my Pipp just swim the Atlantic overnight? No wonder she's tired :eek::D Wait a minute, she has more stripes on the raccoon tail and a touch of Siamese blood making her STABBY :cool: Great picture and sentiments as usual Gev:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

I like it a lot, but I’m not sure I would call it “fine”. Elegant perhaps? It is a friction folder, but very stiff to open and close, so no real risk of it closing unexpectedly. The carbon steel blade thin and slicey, and it packs a lot of blade in a light, slim package. The handle is plastic, and just a little too skinny for my long slim fingers to hold comfortably when doing pull-cuts. I love that it is made by a family-owned company in Catalonia. I have a few other knives from the same company and I really like them all:
roWTsJp.jpg

That’s a good looking trio of knives. :thumbsup: I’ve got a little wood-handled knife the same shape as those bottom two, it’s nice and slim, and I find that leaf-shaped blade to be pretty useful.

Who is that Masked Man? :D We’ve got a package of three N95 masks, but we’re saving them just in case! ;) I had to go to the pharmacy drive through and the gas station this afternoon. I wore this homemade mask and a pair of 6mil nitrile gloves. It feels weird, but if it helps, I’m all for it! :thumbsup:

49750537723_64644f2b8e_o_d.jpg

Knife and coffee content! :thumbsup: :D

49750537743_a2468a8b01_o_d.jpg

Looking good, Ron! I don’t have any kind of face mask (we ordered a couple like that, but haven’t got ‘em yet), so when I went to get groceries the other day, I wore a bandana and looked like maybe I was planning on holding up a stagecoach after I left the store. :D (To be honest, I don’t know that a bandana’s gonna do much to keep someone from getting this virus, but I guess it can’t hurt, and thankfully the store wasn’t busy and keeping well away from other folks was easy.)

These two for me today.

AI2D8QV.jpg

Beautiful pair, Dylan! :thumbsup:

I’ve been carrying this #25 for a week or more now. This is an old picture, but all this stuff going on has got me feeling nostalgic anyways — both for the little, normal things we can’t do right now, like going out to a restaurant with the family, and the bigger things, like traveling to another country (this picture was taken on the beach at Durdle Door in England) — so I think reusing an old photo is fitting. :thumbsup:

gHGzNZG.jpg

HH8Zb67.jpg

Garden in! Wish me luck...:cool:

Nice pairing for in the garden Taylor :) :thumbsup:

I like it a lot, but I’m not sure I would call it “fine”. Elegant perhaps? It is a friction folder, but very stiff to open and close, so no real risk of it closing unexpectedly. The carbon steel blade thin and slicey, and it packs a lot of blade in a light, slim package. The handle is plastic, and just a little too skinny for my long slim fingers to hold comfortably when doing pull-cuts. I love that it is made by a family-owned company in Catalonia. I have a few other knives from the same company and I really like them all:
roWTsJp.jpg

According to this image from our friend @Jolipapa, this style appears to have a long heritage (1700’s?):
4sdBkTO.jpg

Interesting post :thumbsup: I have a couple, useful knives, but I agree, they're not fancy ;) :thumbsup:

Happy reunion :)
Bark River Little Creek and Jelly Bean slingshot .... from Alberta to Ontario
TY @Crazy Canuck
BFzGyi9.jpg

Cool pic Dan :thumbsup:

Pesach, 5780

8fZLa89.jpg

Have a Happy Passover Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Who is that Masked Man? :D We’ve got a package of three N95 masks, but we’re saving them just in case! ;) I had to go to the pharmacy drive through and the gas station this afternoon. I wore this homemade mask and a pair of 6mil nitrile gloves. It feels weird, but if it helps, I’m all for it! :thumbsup:

49750537723_64644f2b8e_o_d.jpg

Knife and coffee content! :thumbsup: :D

49750537743_a2468a8b01_o_d.jpg

Fo57MGP.jpg

Nice mask Ron ;) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1318392 Osage & ebony, around the shop today pursuing hobbies.

Sweet FB :cool: How do you find the S&M, I have the same model, nice enough, but the F&F is lacking? :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Mango soap sounds choice. Of course I love the Hartshead, but that BFs Buck is quite handsome.

Thanks buddy :) I remember when the Yorkshire Soap Company was just a market stall. Pretty fancy shops now. I just dash in every couple of months, grab two bars of soap, and get out again as fast as possible! :D :thumbsup:

Two great photos my friend :) :thumbsup:

Sorry to have been in abstensia. As I mentioned to Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop in a text a bit back, I'm not diseased, just distracted. Amid the COVID-19 miasma and my back therapy, Miss Norma and I were blessed with the birth of our first grandbaby. Our son and his wife were delivered of a little girl on March 31 and all are home and doing very well. I think she may be eating pork chops next week. Despite the dicey situation, after extra cleaning (including me shaving a bit), we got to see her today. A bright moment in a strange time.

I'm not doing any heavy lifting (16 oz max), so I'm totin' light. These two have sufficed for almost a week.

C3Zb2az.jpg

I guess a few of you feel the loss of John Prine. He spoke for the the diminished folks among us and he spoke clearly. God has him now.

- Stuart

Many congratulations Stuart :) :thumbsup:

Thank you so very much Jack!!!
You'd definitely win the hand with those three aces; love the outdoor perspective image of your fixed blade, also!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today a couple from GEC; a 35 and an 81. :)

Many thanks JJ, looks like a useful pair you have there with you today :) :thumbsup:

I’ve been carrying this #25 for a week or more now. This is an old picture, but all this stuff going on has got me feeling nostalgic anyways — both for the little, normal things we can’t do right now, like going out to a restaurant with the family, and the bigger things, like traveling to another country (this picture was taken on the beach at Durdle Door in England) — so I think reusing an old photo is fitting. :thumbsup:

gHGzNZG.jpg

Nice photo and sentiment Barrett, and a great-looking knife of course :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone is staying safe and well :) Carrying these 3 today :thumbsup:

mkjY2Dj.jpg

D3i9O9J.jpg

Vi1ESfs.jpg

Sweet FB :cool: How do you find the S&M, I have the same model, nice enough, but the F&F is lacking? :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, and yes I agree on the f&f issues with these Schatt from the Heritage series. I have 7 of these and some are better than others.
The wood scales on a few are a bit shy of the liners as if they have shrunken a bit and on a few there are slightly proud and sharp edged pins.
I love the look and feel of the designs just the same though, especially the steel pins and liners, iron bolsters and satin finish blades that came without one of those ugly S&M etches.:)

Terrific pairing! :thumbsup: I have a weakness for Osage and that fixed blade is a beautiful example! :D

Half/Stop Half/Stop - Thank you Ron. Wonderful pairing of the Churchill with the Big ‘un. Great Selfie. Good looking mask, too.
Thank you Harvey! :) I personally think I actually look better with a mask! :rolleyes: :D

These two for me today.

AI2D8QV.jpg
Ebony and Walnut! Those are two classy folders Dylan! :thumbsup: :D

Great pairing Harvey! Your TEW Stag Barlow is a beauty my friend! :thumbsup: :D

Sorry to have been in abstensia. As I mentioned to Ron Half/Stop Half/Stop in a text a bit back, I'm not diseased, just distracted. Amid the COVID-19 miasma and my back therapy, Miss Norma and I were blessed with the birth of our first grandbaby. Our son and his wife were delivered of a little girl on March 31 and all are home and doing very well. I think she may be eating pork chops next week. Despite the dicey situation, after extra cleaning (including me shaving a bit), we got to see her today. A bright moment in a strange time.

I'm not doing any heavy lifting (16 oz max), so I'm totin' light. These two have sufficed for almost a week.

C3Zb2az.jpg

I guess a few of you feel the loss of John Prine. He spoke for the the diminished folks among us and he spoke clearly. God has him now.

- Stuart
It’s great to hear from you buddy! :thumbsup: Stuart, I was going to inform everyone of the news, but I thought you should have the honor! I’m glad everyone is still well. I know y’all live in a pretty hot zone for this crap so please stay safe my friend! :D

Today a couple from GEC; a 35 and an 81. :)
Nice pairing JJ! :thumbsup: :D

Looking good, Ron! I don’t have any kind of face mask (we ordered a couple like that, but haven’t got ‘em yet), so when I went to get groceries the other day, I wore a bandana and looked like maybe I was planning on holding up a stagecoach after I left the store. :D (To be honest, I don’t know that a bandana’s gonna do much to keep someone from getting this virus, but I guess it can’t hurt, and thankfully the store wasn’t busy and keeping well away from other folks was easy.)

gHGzNZG.jpg
Hey Barrett! :thumbsup: We’ve found masks to be non existent locally. We do have a three pack of the N95 certified masks but we holding on to them. Pam decided she could sew up a few and they turned out quite well I think! :) I really don’t know how much added protection a mask can give to the average person. I think the really critical thing is to stay apart! Love That Ebony #25, such a classy small folder! Be safe my friend! :thumbsup: :D

Fo57MGP.jpg

Nice mask Ron ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy :) I remember when the Yorkshire Soap Company was just a market stall. Pretty fancy shops now. I just dash in every couple of months, grab two bars of soap, and get out again as fast as possible! :D :thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone is staying safe and well :) Carrying these 3 today :thumbsup:

mkjY2Dj.jpg

D3i9O9J.jpg

Vi1ESfs.jpg
Thanks Jack! :) I knew Jack Black would know the identity of The Masked Man! ;) Nice trio for a Thursday Jack! :thumbsup: Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1318307 View attachment 1318306 View attachment 1318305 View attachment 1318304

Case all day! With a little bit of Bose thrown in for good measure.

I’ll join you @Spaten and @hornetguy . And I know SVTFreak SVTFreak always loves seeing a square end stockman! That reminds me @hornetguy , please don’t round the ends of that great looking Texas Jack! I can send you a 47 pattern if you want round.

All of the knives you post are nice to see, but you’re right! I like those square end stockman (and cattle’s!). I actually have one just like yours!

Carried this one today and all it cut was some daffodils for my bride .

Harry
Love that Dixon, Harry. Lovely old cocobolo (I think)!

If that’s a bois ‘d arc stave there, I might guess what hobby you’re thinking of.:thumbsup:
I have a couple of mulberry staves I cut 2, maybe 3 yrs ago out in the shed. One of these days, when more time-pressed matters are handled...

C3Zb2az.jpg

- Stuart
Sorry your back is limiting your lifting to either two little knives, or one beer, but not both!
Great news about the new addition! I’ll bet Miss Norma is pleased as punch.

RIP JP:(

An amazing find, GT. :cool::thumbsup:
It would be fun to start one of those to see what kid of flies showed up. :)
Super cool free library and Flybrary. :thumbsup: It could be a danger to small children, but fish hooks do come out from little fingers. And the experience would be a great learning opportunity. ;)
That is pretty darn cool Gary :) :thumbsup:
That is a cool idea!!
I'm glad you gents enjoyed the Flybrary I found. I walk past it most days, and so far have seen no evidence of any additions or subtractions of tied flies. :(

Quite the quartet Gary; I am still enthralled with your white Imperial BSA, very cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. :) Some of my favorite knives, often because they cut so well and sharpen so easily, are my inexpensive old Imperials and Colonials.
Your Imperial toothpick with the "stained glass" celluloid covers is remarkable! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Another nice weekly knife selection, Gary.;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, José.:)
Your nautical Victorinox model is interesting and one with which I'm not familiar! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It would be quite a coincidence if that accordion-playing Yankovic were unrelated to Weird Al, I've always thought. Never thought to google it.

Tungsten Kutmaster again:
Speaking of reverse snobbery, do us plain folks spell glamor with a u?
You persuaded me to google the Yankovics. Al and Frankie are not related, but I found a video of the 2 of them together playing 1987 Grammy-nominated rock songs on their accordions. :cool::D
Kool Kutmaster! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I don't spell glamor with a u, but, like Superman, I'm battling for truth, justice, and the American way! :thumbsup:;)

Gary, I guess I was thinking “Go big or go home”! ;) Oh! I forgot! I’m already HOME! :rolleyes: That’s a great photo of your Lambsfoot my friend! :thumbsup: Stay safe buddy! :)
:D:thumbsup:
Thanks, Ron. :)

5K Qs 5K Qs ~
Morning, Gary! I hope you’re well. Yes, those crocus come early, but fade fast.
I thought you’d retired?? You’ve mentioned “the office”, and teaching online... maybe I misunderstood.
Jeff, I officially retired in August 2018, but I've taught one course per semester since then (with no committee or research responsibilities/worries), and I get to choose the course. So a pretty easy gig, since I have courses I've taught dozens of times that don't require huge amounts of prep time. Then a pandemic struck, all classes went online, and I'm a babe in the woods working my tail off!
Here's a shot from Palm Sunday of a stag lambsfoot with a couple of late crocuses:
CJ.mark.onside.crocus&shadows.jpg

Those W questions are indispensable for so many analyses!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Is that a new one Gary? Nice :thumbsup:
That worked out great Gary :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Hi folks, I've had a surprisingly busy day today :rolleyes: Had these 3 with me :thumbsup:

6XeAnmm.jpg

N5LLtUw.jpg

4m6LKh8.jpg
That white BSA scout came from Rachel last summer. :cool::cool::thumbsup:
The winter sunset reflected in my Lam Jack was a total surprise! ;):thumbsup:
3 fine knives, Jack, from different countries, with different handle materials and main blade shapes, different numbers of bolsters, different backgrounds in the photos ... Spice of Life Trio! :):cool::cool:

That explains it. ;)
All my students want to be hair dressers and tattoo artists.
Yeah, motivation is always much higher in my classes for wannabe teachers than in my intro stats classes where students come from all kinds of different programs.

Thank you very much, Gary. Yes, SAK with stag covers is excellent, I’m already following another one on Ebay (Germany), but it’s very expensive.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:
I hope you can find another someday for a fair price, José! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

A fine foursome, Gary; and your Secretary is a fantastic!
Thanks, Dean. :) Have you seen the Victorinox Excelsior? I've only seen it online, but it certainly reminds me of the Secretary.

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you GT. Your white Imperial Scout has such a nice vintage look. Your Rough Rider Canoe oozes Cool.
Kids say the darnedest things, and @cigarrodog says the nicest things! ;) Thanks, Harvey.

Always wonderful to see the lovely sampling of canoes and sowbellies from your vast collection; the variety is amazing!:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the support, JJ. :) When it comes to canoes, I'm surprised by how little variety there tends to be in that pattern, except for cover materials.

5K Qs 5K Qs Gary, I’m with you on Black & Silver, that COLT looks real nice. Somehow in my mind that is a pocketknife’s proper look (yes, I do like some other colors). Must be why I’ve always been drawn to Buck Knives - for years their only option was B&S. OH
Thanks, Bruce. :) I tend to think of a black knife with silver "accents" as very dignified, distinguished, and elegant (all the things that I'm NOT :rolleyes:). :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Case half congress (thanks for the GAW, Bill):
halfcongress.pile.closed.jpg

Big Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider big work knife:
bigwork.mark.open.jpg

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is an Imperial serpentine jack that came from my father-in-law and got me re-interested in pocket knives about 6.5 years ago:
imp.serp.mark.Vmain.wallet.sun.jpg

- GT

A pair of Camillus Jacks...

Being unable to decide, and having found a new plan with our ISP which has unlimited data for $20 less/mo, I threw caution to the winds and uploaded both pictures. Sorry for overloading the servers, hogging the bandwidth, and killing innocent electrons!:rolleyes:
It’s fortuitous that this particular 23 called out to me today. I’m usually more careful not to put a knife away dirty! I carried it last week, and while taking a coffee break at the farm, I sliced an orange with it, and didn’t clean it well. The blade was sticky, and the joints were gummy. A scrubbing with hot soapy water, and a dose of Norton’s Honing Oil, and she’s ready for the day.
View attachment 1318503 View attachment 1318504 Have a virus free day, my friends!

Gevonovich Gevonovich - Thank you kindly, Gev. Your “Recollections” image is Primo. Always a pleasure studying your images. So much to see.

And I yours kind Sir ! Always outstanding photographs. Great monkey ball tie and I too have a few of those ties and that one is fab !

Not only an outstanding knife but a fabulous photograph, Gev; the entire visual has such amazing depth!:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Much appreciated Sir !!! I always enjoy your compositions !

Getting the winter tyres changed on the car today to summer ones, yippee! But dragging the wheels out of the garage is a chore...had 20cm 8" snow this week but it's gone, crocus have appeared. Time to carry some gents type-Conductor to usher in spring.

97dDBbN.jpg

Did my Pipp just swim the Atlantic overnight? No wonder she's tired :eek::D Wait a minute, she has more stripes on the raccoon tail and a touch of Siamese blood making her STABBY :cool: Great picture and sentiments as usual Gev:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Love that knife and photo, Will and...Pipp is welcome with open arms and heart :):):D:thumbsup: but I hope she stays close and safe with papa

Good Morning and Happy Thursday everybody

Fine photo and skill :cool::thumbsup:

Back