What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

GEC-15.jpg

I like the way the blade and back spring are getting darker, the shield and bolsters are getting scuffed up, and the Ebony is losing it's luster. To me it just looks way better, which was the goal for this challenge. I wanted my most precious knife to look like I've used it.This 1-1/2 month challenge will bring back some great memories as I admire it in the future. But I sure do miss having my Lambsfoot in my pocket!!!
Great Stuff. They are after all tools and implements, made to be used. There is just something about a user, to me they look like they are supposed to. Some of the photos on the forum of users just look fantastic.:thumbsup:

Peanut-ish Knife of the Week is a Chinese Schrade 18OT Mighty Mite linerlock:
18OT.mark.Vflat.log.jpg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is, coincidentally, a Peanut, a Case stag model:
stag.nut.pile.Vmain.pond.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is another Chinese Schrade, the 19OT LandShark, but I call mine LambShark:
19OT.mark.Vopen.stonewall.jpg

- GT

Showing this old flea market find some love today...

QGFj9AC.jpg

It came to me all gunked up with a black tar like substance, my best guess is that it was used in the tobacco fields cutting off the flowers so the plants would put more energy into the leaves.

ruhtlLi.jpg

UaVxoMW.jpg

I sometimes wonder what it must have looked like when it was new, but admire it for what it became through being used hard. All four blades are heavily worn, yet still take a razor sharp edge.
That is a wonderful find, with honest-to-goodness pocket worn bone. :thumbsup:
You (and/or they) may be feeling old, but they (and/or you) are looking VERY functional! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Hey!! I resemble that remark! :eek:
:p
That's an excellent photo of an excellent knife (as one who knows).
Thanks!

Bog Oak has always intrigued me, never seen it in person. How does it feel in the hand, and is there a more common wood you can compare it to?:thumbsup:

I'm sure how high the polish is taken makes a difference, but it seems very similar to ebony in the two I have. The biggest difference is that variations are in color as well as texture, but the wood is still pretty dense and hard (unlike old barn chestnut, where you can feel the grains and even mark up the wood with your nail). I don't notice the texture differences without pressing my thumb or fingers over the grains. In hand it feels about like other woods.

Showing this old flea market find some love today...

QGFj9AC.jpg

It came to me all gunked up with a black tar like substance, my best guess is that it was used in the tobacco fields cutting off the flowers so the plants would put more energy into the leaves.

ruhtlLi.jpg

UaVxoMW.jpg

I sometimes wonder what it must have looked like when it was new, but admire it for what it became through being used hard. All four blades are heavily worn, yet still take a razor sharp edge.
I love everything about your old Boker. The acquisition, the history, the cleanup, and that old congress itself.

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. Today I have my 1971 year model Case in CV.
What a beautiful 49 year old Case!

Love the Utica, Steve!
What a nice old Camillus. And to echo Paul, great bone!
Toting a couple of Swiss slicers for Sunday, both from Wenger. :)
Nice Wengers! If I’m not mistaken, the Eddie Bauer is the Backpacker II. Correct?

Been a great fall day. Took time out ftom tending the smoker and hitting the like button in some great knife pics, to go snag some arugula, spinach, green onions, and beets for our salad. I decided to bring in all of the onions, because I’m expecting the dreaded “F” word soon. We had a frost last week that ended our long run of fresh yellow wax beans every night.
Have a great evening!
View attachment 1435676

Last edited:
I'm sure how high the polish is taken makes a difference, but it seems very similar to ebony in the two I have. The biggest difference is that variations are in color as well as texture, but the wood is still pretty dense and hard (unlike old barn chestnut, where you can feel the grains and even mark up the wood with your nail). I don't notice the texture differences without pressing my thumb or fingers over the grains. In hand it feels about like other woods.
:thumbsup::)

That is a wonderful find, with honest-to-goodness pocket worn bone. :thumbsup:
r8shell, thanks, and I feel lucky to have found it! I was not much of a looker at that time, but the shield spoke to me...
I love everything about your old Boker. The acquisition, the history, the cleanup, and that old congress itself.

Thanks, it was a couple years back when I got it, It was gently cleaned with mineral oil and WD40, nothing agressive at all. If you click on the photo's they will expand to full size and you can clearly see where at some point a file had been used on the blades, perhaps to sharpen them?

I love to just fondle and admire this one, the color of the bone, the deep patina of the blades and springs, and sometimes imagine it can be heard telling stories of a not too distant time past...

Back