What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

toda1072.jpg

Dorgalese by Davide Steri

This is why you can’t jump the gun and plant a bunch of potted flowers for Mother’s Day. Late spring frost.
The only stuff I’ve put out are frost hardy, like those peas and the onions that are in that crooked line on the left.

Kale doesn’t mind some frost. And it doesn’t seem to have bothered the young romaine.
It is Schradurday, of course, so this Schrade Walden 293 will be joined by a 136 Linesman’s Skinning Knife. I learned some Schrade trivia looking at an old catalog from 1954 online. This knife, the hawkbill with the shackle, is the136, and was intended for skinning wire and cable, etc. They made an identical knife, except no shackle, the 186, that they called the Large Pruner. Which I would prefer, because with a shackle, especially a big, free swinging shackle like this, I have to take care not to snap the knife closed on the shackle and ding the blade.
And when it closes, it’s a beautiful thing. The combination of the huge kick, and the big, strong spring makes the best sound.
One more bit of Schrade lore~ I did not see the name Trapper anywhere. This 293 was called a Serpentine Jack.To satiate my stag needs, I also am toting this little ho’made bird&trout. Notice that this cilantro plant is not overjoyed with the frost, but he’s tougher than he looks. This plant overwintered because I leave the roots/crown in the ground.

Sorry to be so wordy. Enjoy the day!

Last edited:
I have a few nice-looking slips, made by friends here, and admiring their handiwork, and the way the leather is ageing, adds to my enjoyment when I take out my knife. I usually take knives out of the slips at the end of the day, but far from always, and sometimes they've sat in them for weeks without any adverse effects - but these are quality slips, made from good leather, and they're not damp with sweat :) :thumbsup:
Rp3AYmQ.jpg

YC0OsBy.jpg
My thoughts on slips are almost exactly the same Jack, in fact I have the same slips!😄 They are in my pictures daily. I like them because if my knife is on my desk at work and it’s in a slip, my students don’t even now what it is.
This is an older picture, but there is yard work to do today, so I’ll have one (or both) of these with me today.
A4D7D3C6-88BD-4578-9F6F-5935F09EE3D5.jpeg

Happy Saturday Everybody
The weekend calls for a bigger knife
This super well-made Case should do the trick
That’s a nice looking copperhead John, I have an older one in ocean blue, it’s buried somewhere in the “never ending “ basement renovation.😂 I’m going to dig around and see if I can find it and post a picture later.
I'm carrying my Uncle Henry USA 897UH today (an old friend). It has 'Staglon' covers, which almost look like stag. ;)

View attachment 1560142
That is nice looking Staglon. I just got a Chinese made UH the other day (almost every time I place an online order I end up tacking some cheap knife to the order 😄) and the Staglon looks really bad.
7038F641-59A2-4207-B982-FB40CB189A2D.jpeg
Told ya! 😂😂😂

Wow! Memory lane. I still have the stone, but the yellow and black platic sleeve is lost in the mists if addled memory.
My stone has grooves worn in the edges from sharpening fish hooks.
The logo on the plastic sleeve for the stone brings to mind a shield on a Craftsman knife I've seen you post, a whittler, I believe? It's a nice knife. :thumbsup:
The stone and sleeve was an inheritance I received when my father in law passed about 14 yrs ago, rides in the center console of my truck at all times.

Starting the day with these two in my pockets. Around the house for most of the day so a change-up may be thrown later.
Saturday - 1.jpeg

I like them because if my knife is on my desk at work and it’s in a slip, my students don’t even now what it is.
That's a good reason I hadn't thought of. 🤠 :thumbsup:
Excellent pairing... many varied blade shapes and sizes. 🤠:thumbsup:
That’s a nice looking copperhead John
Thank you, Todd. :)
I’m going to dig around and see if I can find it and post a picture later.
Can't wait to see it...

Back