What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Schmachtenberg and Germania:

ztzylFv.jpg

I typically only use a pocket slip when I want to carry two knives in the same pocket, or sometimes when a knife is particularly delicate, i.e. cracked bone or mother of pearl.
I believe that your Schmachtenberg is only the Second one that I have seen . It is nice to see that most of the Stamping on the Blade of the AXE is still visible . In fact , it is more visible than the one on mine is . Does it have wooden covers or ????

Harry

I believe that your Schmachtenberg is only the Second one that I have seen . It is nice to see that most of the Stamping on the Blade of the AXE is still visible . In fact , it is more visible than the one on mine is . Does it have wooden covers or ????

Harry
You have a Schmachtenberg? I'd love to see it! (maybe in the Old Knives thread)

Yes, the covers are wood. There is still a little paint down in the grain, but it seems to be lifting out with some oily rag rubbing.
The corner of the broken blade can hook on the edge of a table like a one arm blade. :D
e9B2OQJ.jpg

You got a nice example!

Rented a beach condo for three days to celebrate Mother’s Day with my wife.

I brought this Case CV Trapper along. I really enjoy this random jigging, and Case does it well.
View attachment 1560103

Thank you, I agree, there‘s nothing I don’t like about the knife and that years forum knife experience.

I also really enjoy and appreciate your knives and experiences in the thread:

Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play​

It’s in the General sub and has non-traditional modern folders as well, an exceptional thread here - auto-fills into the search bar now. Thanks again and enjoy the beach condo and the weekend!

Staying close to home today. I've got some things to do in the shop and I've got to take the faucet bib off the faucet and put the faucet adapter on the faucet to hook up the swamp cooler so we'll have a nice cool house this summer. Nothing heavy duty so this Sheepfoot ought to be enough knife for all these chores but not to worry - I've got plenty of heavy duty knives on hand should one be needed.

1620491073552.png

Oh. A faucet bib is a styrafoam cover we put over an outside faucet to keep it from freezing during the winter and a swamp cooler sucks air into a box through wet pads thus cooling the air and blows the cooled air into the house to keep it cool. Works very well in a dryish climate whereas an air conditioner works well in a humid climate.

Swamp Cooler .jpg

Quick question(s):

I see a lot of beautiful knife slips on here... It has got me thinking - does it make a difference carry-wise? (I mean, sure, I guess it would protect the knife from the keys in the pocket). I imagine that it is a much slower process to get a knife out and ready to use. My biggest reservation, however, is that with any leather belt sheath I have had, I have noticed that humidity and moisture can get trapped and tend to invite rust spots - does this happen in the slip too?

Just thinking about getting one and wanted to see the pros/cons from you guys who use/don't use them. So in short: why get a slip for my knife?

Please and thanks!
81A4AE30-56DE-44CE-9E4D-F0999E9A4F3B.jpeg
I pretty much only use the bottom row of slips. I use them not so much for protection, but so that the knife rides comfortably in the pocket. What I really like about the ones I use is they add a bit of personality to my carry as well

Last edited:
Some traditional northern English steel for an Australian backyard
jwyWNec.jpg
I'd love to see more of that one mate :) :thumbsup:
The Mighty Thor approves... :thumbsup:
:D :thumbsup:
Happy Saturday Everybody
The weekend calls for a bigger knife
This super well-made Case should do the trick
Chunkilicious John! :D ;) :thumbsup:
My thoughts on slips are almost exactly the same Jack, in fact I have the same slips!😄 They are in my pictures daily. I like them because if my knife is on my desk at work and it’s in a slip, my students don’t even now what it is.
This is an older picture, but there is yard work to do today, so I’ll have one (or both) of these with me today.
View attachment 1560146
LOL! :D That's a good point my friend :) :thumbsup:
Just got these 2 case sowbelly back from J jsdistin had him recover them and delete the sheepsfoot blade. Steel is CV. Somewhat like a sowbelly moose View attachment 1560241View attachment 1560242View attachment 1560243View attachment 1560244
Very handsome Al, and great work by J jsdistin :cool: :thumbsup:
Thank you very much, Jack!!!

You certainly have a pair of beauties today, Jack; very cool slips to slide them in to, as well! :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot JJ :) :thumbsup:

The logo on the plastic sleeve for the stone brings to mind a shield on a Craftsman knife I've seen you post, a whittler, I believe? It's a nice knife. :thumbsup:
The stone and sleeve was an inheritance I received when my father in law passed about 14 yrs ago, rides in the center console of my truck at all times.

Starting the day with these two in my pockets. Around the house for most of the day so a change-up may be thrown later.
View attachment 1560181
Nice to have a memento of passed loved ones!
I got mine when I worked at Sears in the paint and hardware dept through high school and college. That is also when I bought my Craftsman med stockman. I sure wish I’d had the foresight to buy more of their knives! Mostly made by Schrade and Camillus.
Thankfully, I did use my employee discount to start my tool collection.

Thank you, I agree, there‘s nothing I don’t like about the knife and that years forum knife experience.

I also really enjoy and appreciate your knives and experiences in the thread:

Hawaii Knife Life - daily use for work and play​

It’s in the General sub and has non-traditional modern folders as well, an exceptional thread here - auto-fills into the search bar now. Thanks again and enjoy the beach condo and the weekend!
Thank you for the kind words. I will admit, that particular thread is somewhat self-serving. It has, in a way, chronicled my knife journey and life events to a degree. A digital journal of sorts.

Quick question(s):

I see a lot of beautiful knife slips on here... It has got me thinking - does it make a difference carry-wise? (I mean, sure, I guess it would protect the knife from the keys in the pocket). I imagine that it is a much slower process to get a knife out and ready to use. My biggest reservation, however, is that with any leather belt sheath I have had, I have noticed that humidity and moisture can get trapped and tend to invite rust spots - does this happen in the slip too?

Just thinking about getting one and wanted to see the pros/cons from you guys who use/don't use them. So in short: why get a slip for my knife?

Please and thanks!

I use a sheath for most of my pocket knives. I don't have any problems. However, I don't leave the knives in the sheaths all the time. When I put the knife(s) in my drawer I always take it out of the sheath.

You have a Schmachtenberg? I'd love to see it! (maybe in the Old Knives thread)

Yes, the covers are wood. There is still a little paint down in the grain, but it seems to be lifting out with some oily rag rubbing.
The corner of the broken blade can hook on the edge of a table like a one arm blade. :D
e9B2OQJ.jpg
Just so people know that there is more than 1 Schmachtenberg r8shell r8shell . Carrying my Schmachtenberg Bros and a Kronenkrebs

Harry

Camillus #70 and a Mustang

OFzb0jt.jpg
Really effective matching of the Old and the New, despite the big difference of materials, there is a strong similarity. Extremely beautiful bone on the old Camillus- colour & jigging- but I'm really struck by how the shield is inlet - it's as though the jigging 'flows' round it, as water in a stream ripples round solid objects.:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Back