What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Some traditional northern English steel for an Australian backyard
jwyWNec.jpg
I hate to topic drift too far, but I gotta ask, is that a birch tree? :)

Looks like it, but if it is I'm just really surprised, astounded really. I had no idea they grew that far south. If it js one of course. ;) For comparison, I'm in Alaska... about as far as you can possibly get from Australia and still have trees. We have millions of them here.

I believe that your Schmachtenberg is only the Second one that I have seen . It is nice to see that most of the Stamping on the Blade of the AXE is still visible . In fact , it is more visible than the one on mine is . Does it have wooden covers or ????

Harry

You have a Schmachtenberg? I'd love to see it! (maybe in the Old Knives thread)

Yes, the covers are wood. There is still a little paint down in the grain, but it seems to be lifting out with some oily rag rubbing.
The corner of the broken blade can hook on the edge of a table like a one arm blade. :D
e9B2OQJ.jpg
Just so people know that there is more than 1 Schmachtenberg @r8shell . Carrying my Schmachtenberg Bros and a Kronenkrebs

Harry

Oh cool! Mine isn't a lone survivor after all!

20200629_222836.jpg

Did they all have the axe etch/stamping?
There is a ghost of some mark on the blade of mine, that always seemed too deep to be from use, but I wasn't sure. I tried to leave as much of it there as I could when I rounded the tip to be safe to carry.

wp-1613718088610.jpg

AHA!
Now that I know what I'm looking at, I see the axe head there! Cool!

My Saturday totes are a couple of Schrades, the big fella was an early GEC SFO. :)
Two Saturday stunners there JJ, outstanding knives :) :thumbsup:
EkSK5Ar.jpg
Carried these two today. Helped brand some calves for my buddy today.
Excellent working pair Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and that you have a relaxing and peaceful Sunday :) :thumbsup:

Two old Sheffield folders today, from Alfred Blackwell, and Joseph Westby :thumbsup:

FFAlCGI.jpg

c8mYiv2.jpg

eyNYfXW.jpg
It is a silver birch - Betula Pendula. But it’s not a native to this area. It’s the ‘garden centre edition’. It’s in a little grove I planted in my backyard. I love those birch forests you guys have. Beautiful.

You can be unable to see the wood for the trees....Here, you can get sick of seeing Birch forest and little else ;) when they first come into bud (soon I hope...) it is an incredibly beautiful green haze in contrast o the brown khaki deadness of winter aftermath( the leaves are literally referred to as 'Mouse Ears'/ hiirenkorva) But, they lose their leaves first of all in August Sept..:( Still, Birch makes excellent firewood, the bark a superlative fire-starter, you make sauna whips out of bunches of leafy twigs, front doors are adorned with branches at Midsummer, and the sap is allegedly health giving. The exotic/unusual is always alluring so I understand the lure of Birch in Aus...I've planted a lot of Maples here, especially the red ones, wonderful autumn colour . They grow very well -as it's like Canada here in certain ways-but they are surprisingly not a commercial forest tree very much- the 'sap' tastes better than Birch too and the wood is strongstuff.

Both Maple & Birch make good knife handle slabs mind....I like that Schatt M as I like most green knives, the grass is always greener....:D fortunately!

Regards, Will

Last edited:
Got this one. Again. Can’t seem to leave the house without it. On vacation today. First time since covid hit. A week at the family beach house and I got a happy wife and kid...and two tired dogs, and me new trusty edc. At a restaurant last night my kid got a piece of steak stuck in his teeth - no toothpick in sight - and the blade cut a plastic straw into the perfect fix ;). They both looked at me like...well that’s useful to have handy.View attachment 1560676View attachment 1560677
Magnificent stag handles on a beautiful knife - I can see why it is staying in your pocket! OH

293 Schrade Walden and 804 Schrade

We’ll be spending the afternoon with Mrs Fleschwund’s parents for Mother’s Day. We spent an afternoon with mine earlier this week. We’re blessed to still have them with us.I hated to do it, but it was necessary to spook an oriole and a catbird off of the feeders to take these photos.

Last edited:
Back