What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

NZI6Gx8.jpg
The wedding pair...the Indian River Jack is phenomenal! Don't mind the fingerprints...šŸ˜’
Two awesome knives! Enjoy the wedding.

Today we moved our son into his new apartment - I realized Iā€™m getting older as Iā€™m pretty spent!

This evening I decided to try to ā€œdarkenā€ this Cherry Bone 85 with some Burgandy Fiebings Leather Dye. Itā€™s a step in the right direction - Iā€™ll carry it a couple days to see if Iā€™m happy with it. My other thought is to have one of our talented Porch craftsmen change the scales to smooth white bone. (No, Iā€™m not bitter about the Forum Knife :)).

At any rate, Happy Fatherā€™s Day to all my fellow non birthing parents.;) Peace and Love Everybody!

zA5Fw4w.jpg

Last edited:
Peanut-like (i.e., small) Knife of the Week is a Rough Ryder stag bone cotton sampler:
View attachment 1585838

Lambsfoot of the Week is Cracker Jack, my Ashley's Choice stag lambsfoot, a Jack Black SFO:
View attachment 1585827

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a big Joker stag lockback:
View attachment 1585841

- GT
Great selection Gary, especially your lambsfoot. I have one of those little cotton samplers too, fun to play with, but not sure what itā€™s best suited for, since I donā€™t sample much cotton! šŸ˜Š

Well, I got tired watching the niece and her husband, kids, and friends work so hard so we're back home and I've switched from the Buck 500 Duke to my new Case Sod Buster Jr..

View attachment 1585739

While riding in town we came across this Buck with his antlers in velvet.

View attachment 1585740

and a couple of houses down two of his women (does)

View attachment 1585748

It's laughingly said that there are more deer in town than in the forest as the deer know there's no hunting allowed in town.
This year the forest is probably so dry, they came into town for some irrigated pasture. šŸ˜„

Brown-Boneā€™s come home!
Pre ā€˜39 at 3ā€5/8s of all-iron and boneā€¦ two-pin shieldā€¦ Mawvelous!!
View attachment 1584033
A great eveninā€™ and nite to all :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Antique, unique, and fantastique, Gus!

This boy's knife just speaks to my soul ... sometimes without saying a word

w0nhF0J.jpg

Jim said bees wouldn't sting idiots; but I didn't believe that, because I had tried them lots of times myself, and they wouldn't sting me ~ Huckleberry Finn

buq0ap4.jpg
Sweet knife and squirt gun, and hilarious Twain quote!

All Aboard!
hI4fPlF.jpg
Striking acrylic on your Conductor!

Very handy. I've often wished for the reverse. small Sheepsfoot and big fat Spear.

Nice Gunstock, GT. šŸ¤ :thumbsup:
I've got one with their traditional shield and jigged bone... a very well put-together knife.
Thanks, John. Case has a humpback stockman with spear instead of clip main blade and a smaller sheepsfoot (and spey).
Glad your RR gunstock is OK, since you've had so many disappointing knives from RR. I wish I knew more about the origins of the gunstock pattern.

My Usual Lamb and an Imperial Barlow for Thrifty Thursday
Nice pair; an Imperial Barlow is a classic thrifty choice!

Nice Gary, that canittler and half hawk are sweet! Those are two I was never able to pick up! šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘
Thanks, Todd. Quite a size difference between half hawk and canittler, but I like them both.

Tasty trio Gary :) I picked up a Denim Micarta Half Hawk in carbon the other day :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack.
Congrats on the denim micarta Half Hawk; is that a single-blade model?

Premium stag pair!!

Camillus Cutco trapper and a Voos Jack

042ym1K.jpg
Outstanding vintage bone, Steve!!!

Changed my tote
Time to get this 'Big-Un' acclimated and through the bonding phase

Uicn4SO.jpg

OdhK4kT.jpg

RZVDkAt.jpg
That groovy stag lambsfoot is fancy!

Here are 3 Rough Riders I'm carrying this week.

Three beauties, Gary. The Gunstock that Barrett gave you is a really nice design and the rifle shield is the icing on the cake. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. I really need to give the gunstock an extended try-out so I can learn the capabilities of the pattern.

I carried these two on my hike today. We saw an explosion of green everywhere we looked as we walked. We've had a lot of rain here this year and it sure shows.

View attachment 1584509
Handsome pair you've piled up there!

My new whittler with a demon edge re guying the Lavuu for the kids night out. Cuts lovely:)
Congrats on the intriguing new whittler!

I stuck with the Barlow theme again today.
XgoS3RD.jpg
Enjoying your theme! That one is a classic!

I usually have this in my pocket and today was no exception. I also gave it a rest and put my new Northwoods Scagel to work this afternoon. Both knives have nice stag covers that I love.
View attachment 1584751

View attachment 1584752
Splendid stag pair, Bill!

Got my Hartshead Barlow in my pocket yet again, and an old IXL Penknife for Old Friends Friday :) Have a great day everyone :thumbsup:

oCKwl7S.jpg

r6pnOar.jpg
Lots of variety in your pairing, Jack!

Thanks.
I like it a lot. No fear of losing the knife, but it feels a little ostentatious. I'll get over that,though. Who's going to notice an ostentatious detail on my majestic gestalt?
Thanks for the feedback, especially that you have no fear of losing the knife; I've always worried about that when looking at horizontal, open "top" sheaths. I think I'd also find belt carry a little ostentatious, and I don't have the regal bearing to offset it. (I also don't wear a belt since I've switched to suspenders.)

View attachment 1584844
Schrade 194OT, and Robeson 12227 EO Jack, 1922-39
Ok, this is funny. I thought to do a search using ā€œRobeson 12227 eo jackā€.
The very first search result was my exact knife, with a highly detailed description. His description of itā€™s having been subjected to the drooling ministrations of a demented Fluffer ā€˜n Buffer, the photos, and naming of the identical marks leave no doubt itā€™s my knife. I did not buy it from this guy, so itā€™s been passed around a bit.
There was a time when I optimistically decided the scales were ebony, but it looks like I was overly optimistic.
Hereā€™s the link ~ itā€™s a long expired sales ad, but worth reading just to see an honest and THOROUGH knife description!

Admirable pair of knives (and sheath), Jeff, and intriguing story of your research on the Robeson!

Today for Black Friday, I have my Charlie Lamb and my Case Medium Jack.
Dazzling dark duo, John!

5K Qs 5K Qs
Thanks a lot Gary, that Remi UMC is my top copy, almost perfect!
Thanks also for the homework as those rarely seen English terms were enlighteningā€¦ now using them properly with rhythm and flow is another matter altogether!! Pearly is a sweet one indeed.

Todayā€™s simple carryā€¦
View attachment 1584868
A kool Friday, and weekend to all:cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
As you point out, Gus, when I learn new words, I have to use them in order to remember them. So I inflict the rest of you with my attempts at maintaining my vocabulary.
That Kabar Barlow is a dreamboat!

I managed to lose some of my quote Gary! :rolleyes: Thanks for the kind words anyway buddy :) You be careful fixing that roof ;) :) :thumbsup:
You're welcome, Jack. I'm getting to an age at which I'm reluctant to personally attempt any repairs that require a ladder.

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs
You bet Gary that Robie is a beaut and repetition is the mother of perfection, or something like thatā€¦
On the topic of parents and being Popā€™s day and all, a rarity out of its case today. My father bought this Pioneer for me along with a Mechanic almost three decades ago, shown here with one of his favourite rubiesā€¦. Never to be forgotten.
E7672762-44D5-4324-833B-1E42CC3C96F4.jpeg
Happy Fatherā€™s Day to ALL, and of course a peaceful Sunday as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back