1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What was the first pocket knife you bought?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MRego, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    A souvenir China made SAK-like knife with pretty wood scales that said Banff. For that is where I got it. I was 14.

BenchCo Spydermade, MRego and stabman like this.
  2. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    My first knife I ever carried was an old Barlow my grandpa gave me :D

I think I bought a Gerber Paraframe before a Buck 110.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    A Case Barlow was the first "good" knife that I purchased. Imperials preceded it. Believe it was about $20 at the local hardware store back then. Wore that knife completely out. I liked how you stated that "money was no object".... classic!

4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I've posted these pics before but the first knife that I bought for myself was this contraption that I bought in 1971 from an ad in the back of a Boy's Life magazine.

IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG

5. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    That's the one I bought! I think they also advertised in comic books, but I also read Boys Life in the early 1970s. :thumbsup:

MolokaiRider and Railsplitter like this.
  6. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    My first knife was a scout knife , with a blade and 3 tools, which I got at about age 12.

7. Jordan@DLT

[email protected] Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jul 22, 2014
    My very first was a knock off SAK from some gift shop in Vermont. My first real knife was a Kershaw knockout/Spyderco cat, I bought them at the same time.

8. Cogam87

Cogam87 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2019
    First knife I remember owning was a folding buck knife when I was a wee lad. First one I bought was some cheepo liner lock from a flea market in Florida when I was about 10. Green, drop point, maybe inch and a half blade

9. USMCPOP

USMCPOP

Jan 6, 2016
    I don't recall if I bought it or my Dad did. Boy Scout pocket knife. 50+ years ago. Still in decent shape.

10. Markisbear

Markisbear Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Spydaco ambitious

11. salty141

salty141 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Imperial jack knife of some sort. First I bought my self was a Kissing Crane Lockback. First knife that got me into collecting was a Delica.

12. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    SOG Trident Tanto. Last SOG I will even buy, folded in half cutting styrofoam

13. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Mine was a standard, black Gerber LST. It was after Fiskars bought the brand I believe, but before they ruined it. My dad still has the knife.

14. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I bought a gerber gator at Wally World with birthday money when I was about 10 or so. I was only allowed to carry and/or use it when I was camping, hunting, or fishing; and in the presence of my father or grandfather. The first decent knife I bought was a cold steel ak-47 at 14. the clerk at the knife store dgaf, he also introduced me to benchmade and I eventually saved for a Stryker in 1998.

15. vic2367

vic2367

Sep 15, 2006
    buck 112
    long gone sadly 1979

16. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    My very first was a Buck 501.

17. 017

Mar 31, 2016
    Victorinox Camper with the Camping branding. I still have it, but it's long since been retired.

18. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The op asked about the first knife we purchased, not owned. That would have been a completely diffevent thing.

19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Exactly.
    And the first I payed for I had to have an adult purchase for me, but it was my money.
    If I look hard enough I may actually have the crappy little lockback around somewhere but it's not worth seeing.

20. A CRKT M-16 in 2002.