1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What wood is it really?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by GPyro, May 31, 2019.

1. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    All this talk of handle materials made me take a closer look at the Crelicam ebony 112 I just received from C&C. The Ebony looks good. Same dark grain as my Crelicam 110. The box is labeled 4/01/2019 and has the 2019 “real ebony” sticker. But the blade is stamped 2018. I figured it was a transitional deal. But with all this talk, I'm not confident anymore.

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  2. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    it is Solid ebony

jbmonkey and Dfunk1210 like this.
  3. JOE NOWICKI

JOE NOWICKI

Dec 19, 2018
    I said my scale on a custom shop Ironwood cracked! Top to bottom in the middle straight down from the rocker rivot. Oh and "My father before me" is from a song. Why can't I say that? It is sung by "THE BAND"

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  4. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    My 110Fg is the same way...It's real Ebony with last years blade, transitional piece....

Dfunk1210 and jbmonkey like this.
  5. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    You're quoting something that someone else, since banned, always said...Especially when you collect stone handle knives...The only time you hear from them is when there is some Buck bashing going on.... Maybe just a huge coincidence??

"The Band" wrote a song about collecting Buck 186, 111, and 110's??

My point is Dymondwood wouldn't have cracked....

6. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I imagine but dont know...... buck stamps blades out that might sit awhile. if it had real ebony sticker on box than it is.

Dfunk1210 and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  7. JOE NOWICKI

JOE NOWICKI

Dec 19, 2018
    I did not quote anyone when making that comment, no quote marks and if that person said it maybe he liked "The Band" too. I collect fixed blade knives too but I don't have to explain to you. I wouldn't have found Dymondwood in the custom shop either and paid a premium for Ironwood.

8. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    I was just going off of what you said...

If it's a huge coincidence, then I apologize... We had alot of trouble from that other person and he haunts alot of us. So if you're not him then Welcome to the Buck forum, but if you are, go play somewhere else....Please....

9. JOE NOWICKI

JOE NOWICKI

Dec 19, 2018
    What are the misleading info points you might mean ,Sir. Please explain!

10. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    I think this has been brewing for awhile. I don't think people view it as bad perse just want it stated clearly or clearer which one they are getting. If it's dymondwood throw a little "Dymondwood ™" in the ad and be done.

I can see both sides of the coin this one. But is also not a life changing problem.:D

TAH, Lesknife, Tecate and 2 others like this.
  11. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Here is an ad for a Buck 110

not misleading.

Description

Buck 110 Ultimate Hunter
    The Buck 110 S35VN Charcoal Dymondwood Ultimate Hunter is the 2018 version of the highly popular, highly collected series that started in 2018. DLT in collaboration with Buck Custom Shop Guru Billy Bates, upgraded the steel from S30V to S35VN and added classy charcoal Dymondwood scales to this instant classic.

Fully dressed out with polished nickel silver bolsters a pewter medallion inlay and a custom distressed leather sheath, this Buck dymondwood knife will exceed your expectations at a price that won’t break the bank. Finding a sub $100 S35VN knife made in the USA is a real challenge. Finding this quality from a legendary brand like Buck Knives and getting it delivered with DLT’s world class service and industry leading super speedy shipping is icing on the cake!

Whether you’re an avid hunter, a collector or just a lover of great knives made of the best products available, this Buck 110 Ultimate Hunter should be on your list!

jbmonkey likes this.
  12. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I like diamond wood. But agree we should know what we are buying. Same thing for the recent half brass half nickel knives.

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  13. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Not every listing or every vendor is as descriptive of this. I know for a fact (because I'm the one who asked for the change) that Copper & Clad just changed all their listings on their website and Ebay from "oak" to "oak Dymondwood" in their listings. There was no mention of Dymondwood before and you can find several posts from people on this site who purchased that particular "oak" knife thinking they're were getting solid oak and not dyed, laminated birch or beech scales.

There's nothing wrong with Dymondwood in my opinion, and in some cases I even prefer it. But having accurate, detailed listings can only be a good thing for consumers.

TAH, GPyro and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  14. sassafrassdogs3

Jul 21, 2016
    When you go to the actual order form the description does tell you if it's Dymondwood or not, so maybe they should read the complete description...

Brhowser87 likes this.
  15. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    The ad shows Dyamondwood. I dont see that as misleading. A marketing mistake isnt midleading either on the 111 brass nickel knife.

God forbid someone makes a mistake.

jbmonkey likes this.
  16. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Here is a screen shot from the 2011 Buck Catalog.

File too large to download.

Anyway. if you look at BCCI and the Buck 110 ads they show Dymondwood.

jbmonkey likes this.
  17. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    we

18. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    Where on the Limited Edition Buck 111 ad or order form does it say that the knife comes with Walnut Dymondwood rather than Walnut? I can't seem to find it.

sd.JPG asd.JPG afdf.jpg

19. Fixall

Mar 26, 2018
    They updated it right after I suggested they do so (great customer service)... But it was listed incorrectly for well over a year.

Please don't think I am bashing Buck. I am a huge fan and supporter of them. I own several BotM's, Limited Editions, and their regular production offerings. I'm a member of the Buck Collector's Club. I purchased the very first giant Buck banner that Buck has ever sold so I could show it off in my office/mancave. I drove six hours to tour their facility in Post Falls.

I love Buck.

I just want accurate descriptions, that's all.

TAH, bucksway and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  20. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Cool, I love em as well.

jbmonkey, sassafrassdogs3 and Fixall like this.