Whatcha listnin to oo oo?

Just started listening to the Mosaic Records "Chick Webb & Ella Fitzgerald: The Complete Decca Sessions (1934-1941)" 8 CD set, which chronicles Ella's start and early years as a singer and Chick Webb's contribution to her career and to the development of Swing music.

MC5qcGc

This 85+ year old compilation still "rocks" and contributes to a fuller understanding of the progression of jazz from Ragtime to Swing to Bop.

Last edited:
Listening - not watching - the Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool - DVD which recently aired on PBS.

Didn't even know there was a DVD of it until I looked and bought it when I found it.

POSTER-WEB.jpg

The sound of Miles in the 60's is the "reason" got into jazz music. I like other styles of music but there's nothing like the sound of Miles in that era. :)

Last edited:
Listening - not watching - the Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool - DVD which recently aired on PBS.

Didn't even know there was a DVD of it until I looked and bought it when I found it.

POSTER-WEB.jpg

The sound of Miles in the 60's is the "reason" got into jazz music. I like other styles of music but there's nothing like the sound of Miles in that era. :)
Amen brother.

I don't have any DVDs of Miles...but I have about 30 CDs of his...early 50's to mid 60's. The hard bop era reigns supreme. Miles, Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, and so many other greats. I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs with music from that period. My favorite by far.

Two of the albums that got me into jazz early on were Coltrane's "Lush Life" and Monk's "Brilliant Corners". I heard them and was captivated.

sgt1372 sgt1372

You probably know of Phil Schaap...he was a dear friend of mine for several years. We used to play sports together, and I'd hang out with him at the "West End" when he was running the jazz program there and at Columbia U.'s radio station.

Won a few Grammy's as I recall for his archival work.

Unfortunately, he passed last fall. He will be missed.

I used to listen to Phil, he was great. I learned a lot.
I learned to never drink gin after spending a night at his family home in Hollis listening to old jazz albums and drinking his parents' liquor when we were in our late teens or early 20's. It still pains me to think of it.

I hadn't spoken to him for years when one day I told my wife I was going to call him at the station and say one word and he'd know who it was immediately.

I got someone to transfer the call over to him and when he picked up I said "Applesauce!" and he yelled out "Elliott!". It was like we'd seen each other minutes earlier.

(It was something from a line in a book we had picked up at a mutual friend's home that cracked us up at the time. Don't ask what we might have been up to. 🤣)

I passed up front row seats at Madison square garden for the Good bye to Yellow Brick Road concert way back then. I wasn't into Elton John and it was a work night.
I regret my decision now.

That album is so good!
I was lucky enough to see them in 94 right after the Undertow album was released at this shitty old skating arena in San Bernardino.
Was at the show last night in Columbus. Set list was a good mix of older and newer stuff. They played “Opiate” the song.

Back