Whatcha reading?

I get too much reality from work and escape into fiction.

Assassin thriller: Just finished the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz and have the next book pre-ordered.

Assassin thriller: Currently reading the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney with the next book pre-ordered as well.

Sci Fi: The latest book in The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells is also in queue.

Fantasy: The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher is always good. Waiting for the next book to be announced.
Fantasy: The two books by James J. Butcher (son of Jim Butcher) are also in queue.

I've been going back re-reading the Jack Ryan Jr. series by Clancy in chronological order, and enjoying the hell out of it lately. "Threat Vector," the title I'm reading now, is surprisingly prescient about the current China situation, even though it was published 11 years ago.

When I'm done with those I'm hitting the "Gray Man" series.

Online, I've been reading some stuff on the "Integrated Skills Group" website:

I'm about 1/4 way through this one, should finish it in the next couple of days. I've read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy and found it to be very entertaining. This one is a bit different but it's been enjoyable.

3Mlhudg.jpg

I'm about 1/4 way through this one, should finish it in the next couple of days. I've read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy and found it to be very entertaining. This one is a bit different but it's been enjoyable.

3Mlhudg.jpg
It's been a while since I read about the adventures of Hiro Protagonist, but I do love that name.

I very, very rarely read any sci-fi...and when I do, usually the more theoretical stuff.

But, I've had a hard time finding stuff to read lately, and I'm bored, so I'm in the midst of Marko Kloos' "Frontlines Series". The writing is decent enough...the story line is somewhat predictable...but entertaining. (So far.)

Got iced in over the weekend and since I'm not over inclined to be out driving amongst the knuckleheads who really shouldn't be on the road even when it's not icy, I opted to get some reading done.

I finished up Snow Crash - I really enjoyed that book

I then picked up Larry Niven's Ringworld - I couldn't recall if I had read it or not so I figured, "Why not?". A chapter in and it seemed unfamiliar so I continued. Aside from a startling use of the nonword "irregardless" by the author, it was an enjoyable sci-fi escape. I might hunt down the subsequent novels.

After I finished that on Saturday, I selected Flowers for Algernon, by Daniel Keyes. The first few pages in and I was ready to put the book down but my curiosity kept me engaged and then before too long I was hooked. An intense read and a serious bummer of a novel.

I then picked up The Worm Ouroboros, by E. R. Eddison. I have been meaning to read this for quite some time. It was published in 1922 and is reminiscent of the literature I soaked up as a kid. I am about about a quarter way into it and it has been pretty satisfying so far.

fTbrkd5.jpg

I had never read Hemingway so I picked up a couple recently to try. I started with The Old Man and the Sea and enjoyed it, finishing it in one shot (it's pretty short). Then I started The Sun Also Rises and keep dropping it for weeks before reading another 10-20 pages. I should either finish it or return the damn thing.

I love to read !... But I need recommendations!
I like Tom Clancy, web griffin, I also like thrillers and assassin/Hitman books and also fantasy like knights and dragons,sci fi also and also detective novels so if any one has any recommendations...thanks for all your time and help!

NMFrank87 AKA Frank Cervantes from New Mexico

Last edited:
If you want serious, light-hearted nostalgia, and a sword driven plot, try Children of the Neon Bamboo. The majority of the plot is in 1990, but the plot revolves around hiding the Honjo Masamune which was stolen by a side character's grandfather in WW2 (an interesting aside in itself).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading a couple books by Thomas Sowell; "Basic Economics" and "Social Justice Fallacies".

If you don't know who he is, you should read some of his stuff.

31hT1R6UXJL._SL500_-4175915674.jpg

You probably know this already but book 13 The Chaos Agent was released on Monday, 02/19/24.

Yes - just saw that announcement. Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Back