What's a 'quality' knife these days, and are cheap 'gas station' knives starting to 'catch up'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap knives (of ANY origin...); can still be useful within their limits...
But when the clock stops: that's when true quality shines.
I'll grab a cheapie for opening boxes any day. Their sacrifice adds life to the good blades that I have.
Besides: you can often sharpen them lickety-split!

Last edited:
An analogy, if I may:

Little Billy asks for a G.I. Joe for Christmas. He has been dreaming of it for months and knows every little thing about it. Christmas morn, he rips into his presents under the tree and finds... an E.I. Oh Tactical Farmer from Santa. :eek:

After crying for hours, his parents convince Little Billy to give E.I. Oh a chance--after all, it's virtually the same thing, right? Right?? Barely consoled, Little Billy feels a glimmer of hope. But after a frustrating struggle to get E.I. Oh to hold the super-dumb pewp emoji accessory it came with, Little Billy snaps the arm off... and the tears begin anew. :poop:=šŸ˜­

Our inner knife-nut is Little Billy and we are all his parents... just say no to E.I. Oh. Unless Little Billy's just going to blow 'em up with firecrackers anyway. Or whatever.

Thank you. šŸ¤­

Which part? The scope; or the automatic deployment?
It must be the scope. Watching those steel teeth un-sheath in the blink of any eye: would have me soiling my skivvies!

Itā€™s ā€œcheap chinese crapā€ because that is what China exported for years and the world bought it. We are still buying it and will continue to do so.

Why? Because of the mindset of your average consumer. He/she makes purchases based upon price, first and foremost.

It hasnā€™t always been ā€œcheap Chinese šŸ’© ā€œ though. A few decades back it was ā€œJunk from Japanā€. Japan now has their act together pretty well. Given time China will also.

It is only a matter of time until we are complaining about inferior goods from South Africa or India.

Or, how about US dreck?
True enuff, although modern manufacturing and 'standardization' have come a long way, and didn't we 'used to' once say the same thang about 'Made in Japan'?

BTW, if I had a dollar for every collector complaining that their 'premium' blade is too expensive to actually use as an EDC, I could probably afford a new $500 Sebenza (though wouldn't wanna get it 'dirty', now would we...)? ;-)

Last edited:
I do agree with him: only buy Gas and beef jerky at gas stations...
(or bacon jerky: if available!)

General theme in this thread is rehashing the merits, or lack thereof, of very low cost "gas station knives". I get it.

What I came here to comment on is if anyone else has noticed, or is it just me, that some really expensive custom knives look a LOT like something available at a gas station? šŸ¤£

You get the really flash, artistic bling at both ends of the spectrum.

The folks building the cheap stuff can still see what else is out there on the market.
Can we fault them for liking what they see?

But you canā€™t send them all back like you can with Bucks forever warranty. Why didnā€™t you ? They would have fixed it and sent you a prepaid mailer to get it there.
Yeah but even then it felt cheap. The material were like a $5 gas store knife.

When you can buy really good Swiss (SAK) or French (Opinel) knives which will last for years, have good quality steel and are a known factor, heck in the case of Victorinox an industry quality and value benchmark, for just $20, I can't quite see buying this junk?

So if you were buying a first knife for a kid: what would you get for them?

I ve got both, and I agree 100% with your very smart choices.
Although my Stockman is from Schrade...

Funny you mention this, I was in a little gas station/convenience store the other day looking at that Chinese crap with the skulls and other ā€œblingā€ for $15-20 lol looks the same to me as it did 15 years ago. Didnā€™t see any any Civivis, WEs, or anything with quality

I do agree with him: only buy Gas and beef jerky at gas stations...
(or bacon jerky: if available!)
Two of the gas stations I've been to regularly sell firearms and nice knives. Also good jerky and homemade pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back