What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

First 52100 blade. Can't wait to finish the handle. Love the profile.

ntsSrJX.jpg

Homemade heat treat oven heating up.
wMiWS6R.jpg

I love it. I remember it from a previous thread of yours. How long does it take you to get to a clean 800 grit?

Thanks

I usually stop at 400 for most blades, so can't tell you exactly. My routine is to leave the grinder at 240(*) and start with the mechanical sander at 220, I always see some rather deep scratches at this point, so its this step that's more time consuming, once they are all removed its a walk in the park, much less effort to go to higher grits. Its a very nice addition to the tool arsenal.

(*) Here in Argentina we are very limited with the sanding belt options, cork, structured and others either are nowhere to be found or are way too expensive...

Pablo

I usually stop at 400 for most blades, so can't tell you exactly. My routine is to leave the grinder at 240(*) and start with the mechanical sander at 220, I always see some rather deep scratches at this point, so its this step that's more time consuming, once they are all removed its a walk in the park, much less effort to go to higher grits. Its a very nice addition to the tool arsenal.

(*) Here in Argentina we are very limited with the sanding belt options, cork, structured and others either are nowhere to be found or are way too expensive...

Pablo

Thank you sir!

Not the greatest picture (cellphone lighting just isn't quite right haha) but I'm just about finished with this 'mushrooming' knife I've been working on for a friend. Worked out a design with him and made it. He didn't want a brush on the butt (thank the lord... haha)

44268134_753499201666857_6837761834162847744_n.jpg

.095" x 15n20 was the choice of steel with walnut and brass pins.

The hawkbill blade proved quite the challenge for me and my HF 4x36" sander - had to get pretty creative to grind the bevels evenly without grinding off the tip! It's a flat grind and probably my best to date.

Kind of in a pickle at the moment though as I made the ill-advised decision to polish out a couple small scratches that were really bothering me (after I should have been done) and the buffing wheel caught the edge, threw it, and did some weird things to it. Feels 'bumpy' and lost all of its shaving sharpness. Pretty bummed and I hope I can save it by doing some passes on the sander without losing too much material...

I ordered this a year ago so I'm not sure if Christmas came early or late today. ;) Nonetheless Fedex showed up with this on my doorstep today:thumbsup: Looking forward to see how this thing cruises compared to my KMG.

IMG_9166 by Robert Erickson, on Flickr

Awesome!

I too ordered mine about a year ago

And mine will be being shipped out in a week or 2 :)

Waiting on an available accessory list now.

Awesome!

I too ordered mine about a year ago

And mine will be being shipped out in a week or 2 :)

Waiting on an available accessory list now.

I've got mine up and running now and I have to say it was worth the wait. There is no vibration and less noise and it tracks perfectly.
I was ready to pull the plug on my order a number of times out of frustration with the wait time but I'm glad I waited. It's so much better than my KMG. I'm still using the KMG but only for handle shaping.

Yea that's a long time for sure. If I didn't already have a grinder that was getting the job done I wouldn't have waited.
From what I understand they have worked out the problems and the wait shouldn't be that long any more.

bike4fun919, very nice. Any tips on how to do that, the blade I'm working on right now is also 1095.
This is my first attempt, so take that with a grain of salt :).
I used my Evenheat oven and soaked the blade (I had the grinding about 80% complete) at 1475 degrees for about a minute. I used refractory cement (thinned) to coat the spine. I quenched in Parks 50. After tempering I did the finish grinding. I hand sanded to 800 grit (took almost three hours). I used WD40 up to 400 grit and then used windex up to the 800 grit. Then I used the widex and a grey scotch brite pad until the finish looked smooth and even. Washed the blade in hot water and dawn several times and used a paper towel to dry it off. Then straight to the etching solution for about 20 seconds. Took it out and rubbed it down with a rough cloth towel. I repeated these steps about three times in the solution, 15 sec, 10 sec and 5 sec. (all approximate) rubbing the blade with the towel each time. After that I sprayed it with windex, washed in off in clean water and used a really fine honing paste to polish it up. Hope this helps.

Back