What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Just finished this fillet knife for my brother. 10” blade, CPM 154
G10 handle and spacers. My first time doing a G10 guard on a full tang.

Attachments

• FB3FD653-1347-4E22-825E-C8B3B1BAF24F.jpeg
    FB3FD653-1347-4E22-825E-C8B3B1BAF24F.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 30
  • B4EAF7DF-635E-4967-BB35-6D92EFCDEA15.jpeg
    B4EAF7DF-635E-4967-BB35-6D92EFCDEA15.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 29
I have many shoe boxes full of knives but no sheaths for them ...So I make several simple one .For hand sewing I used Kevlar thread , i like that gold color :)
eKezJ23.jpg

el38u6P.jpg

L4sBnPu.jpg

I've been super inactive posting, struggling behind close doors & dying in the AZ heat. Need to work out an HVAC system or shop update to make year round progress easier.

Knife #5

N40Ch60.jpg

iuKX4UT.jpg

mVgH8TI.jpg

AEB-L stainless, hand rubbed satin finish, fat carbon bolsters, unidirectional carbon main handle, with g10 liners & nickel silver corbys/pins. Slip is black dyed leather with an alligator scout carry strap (not made by me).

I learned so much during this build, namely that fiberglass is incredibly itchy (should have covered my arms, i'm an idiot) :) I blew through the corby's on the show side (the heads are long, but the bolts start literally halfway through the head i think.....). Trying to figure out if i should melt them out with a soldering iron, or try drilling them out and plugging them with pin material. Either fix isn't very professional....Any advice would be rad (if you want to see, i can post pictures...)

Unless you have a good plan to fix it, I'd say just leave it & do another. Keep this one for posterity & chalk it up to experience. It's a nice knife so use it & work on another to refine your skills. In a few years, you'll appreciate it for the amount of time & effort it took to make those mistakes!

I can sympathize with you on the heat. We moved up to Raton, NM to escape the Tucson heat. They said you can adjust to the heat, but after 45 years, I never did. Seems like it just got worse instead of better for me. Our "new" shop up here is a 4 car garage, had to put up a carport for parking as the 4 car was a bit small for the vehicles. Don't need air conditioning up here, but heat might be a good idea in the winter sometime...

Unless you have a good plan to fix it, I'd say just leave it & do another. Keep this one for posterity & chalk it up to experience. It's a nice knife so use it & work on another to refine your skills. In a few years, you'll appreciate it for the amount of time & effort it took to make those mistakes!

I can sympathize with you on the heat. We moved up to Raton, NM to escape the Tucson heat. They said you can adjust to the heat, but after 45 years, I never did. Seems like it just got worse instead of better for me. Our "new" shop up here is a 4 car garage, had to put up a carport for parking as the 4 car was a bit small for the vehicles. Don't need air conditioning up here, but heat might be a good idea in the winter sometime...

I like the sentiments here, i just struggle because i don't get to work on stuff during the week. My knife progress seems to be slow because i only work during the weekend, and these past three months have been unbearable to work in the conex with no fans, no insulation, nothing. It takes me like 4 weekends to get a knife finished, but i guess thats the nature of the beast at the moment. Trying to research all possible solutions to get it to where i can work on projects during the week and have a tad bit more space.

Yeah, i don't plan on being here much longer if i can help it. The heat and I don't mix, i did my schooling up in Flagstaff, and want to get back to the mountains. I appreciate the snow, and if i can have a heater in the shop, that's preferable all around. CO looks like a good place to land.

OK, you can laugh at me as much as you want , I'm an idiot :D I make call ....... I asked friend /who give me this TC knives https://bladeforums.com/threads/san-mai-with-tungsten-carbide.1746640/page-3#post-20006066 / if he was left-handed or right-handed to make sheath for knife I want to give to him......Right handed....OK my friend now i need to be careful to not make it left-handed because it is last piece of leather I have .I MAKE THAT MISTAKE SEVERAL TIMES ALREADY !!!Guess what ? I cut it for left hand :D
MbsCsAQ.jpg

Well, i hope this will help in future :)
cpqSWMF.jpg

Last edited:
First kitchen knife from my bench. Lots of learns on this one and a tonne of stuff ups and fixups, but happy with the result.
1/8 inch 1084 full distal mostly flat grind slight convex on edge. Hidden pinned, shredded carbon and black g10 handle. First crack at a faceted handle, harder than they look!
Feedback and CC welcome.
7D3G8JG.jpg

spp3rSO.jpg

First kitchen knife from my bench. Lots of learns on this one and a tonne of stuff ups and fixups, but happy with the result.
1/8 inch 1084 full distal mostly flat grind slight convex on edge. Hidden pinned, shredded carbon and black g10 handle. First crack at a faceted handle, harder than they look!
Feedback and CC welcome.
7D3G8JG.jpg

spp3rSO.jpg

I'm seeing a lot of influence from a specific maker here, lovely shape man. Sweet work!

A wedding present for a nephew - Petty and Santoku, CPM154, 62 HRC, handles of African Blackwood and dyed spalted maple (from WEO!) with copper spacers. My first time trying a vertical grind for the finish on the blades (hence the dinged tip on the Petty - but I will clean that up with a little judicious profiling during final sharpening). There is still a fair amount about the final blade finish I am not satisfied with, but will keep trying! They will still be laser engraved with names and wedding date, but wanted to share these at this point....
upload_2020-9-9_13-7-33.png

Back