What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

So the AEB-L knives are next?
I better start saving my money.
When you're ready to start carving up the heavy 8670: I've got another BEAST of a project for you...

So I got all the LC200N neckers out except the ones I have yet to hear back from their prospective owners. And look at that, cardboard has so many uses, boxes, cat toys, and now, redacting sensitive information lol.

IMG_4333.JPG

The next job is a big chopper in 1/4" 8670. I bought one of the car cupholder phone mounts so I can start filming my work to share with you all. My shop doesn't have a cup holder though, so I made one out of Styrofoam, using my LC200N necker to cut the circular hole, of course.

IMG_4334.JPG

I filmed the entire grinding process, but since my free Vimeo account only lets me upload a small amount per month, I'm afraid the video is too hyooge.

1641417690531.png

But I can share the pictures I took during the next few steps.

IMG_4341.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4346.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG

And that's where we are now. Waiting for the glue to cure, then off to handle shaping, marking, clean up, bluing, sheathing, and sharpening. I am hoping I can get this all done before the end of the night.

I still have to deburr it, but you know it's going to cut and chop with the authority of a BOSS. A few other things left to do as well, but I thought you might like to see how it's coming along.

IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4357.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4362.JPG

Oh my, thank you!

After that pass-around I HAVE to have a Prevail!

I know the feeling. Every time I have sold my own Prevail, I end up missing it and make myself another to carry at the nearest opportunity. When you messaged me short while ago to ask about this, I was tempted to offer you my LC200N Prevail, but I just couldn't bring myself to be without one again. I don't own a lot of fancy stuff, but I HAVE to have a Prevail. ;)

Anyway, I have you down for one of the 1/4" AEB-L ones with the hollow tangs. And if all goes well, I will keep one of those for myself as well. 😁

Thank you Bill. I should mentioned that one is not really my design, but just my take on a customer's request.

It's getting cold out there, -12° C (4° F), and probably will only get colder. So I feel it makes sense for me to work on smaller blades for now. So these ten 8670 blanks are in progress, and this afternoon have gone from being squared off blades to getting their final blade shapes. I wanted to make a little bit of something for everyone here, so while I am partial to wharncliffes and spear points with gradual belly and pointy tips, you can see a couple clip points and drop points with varying degrees of belly and point fineness.

IMG_4456.JPG

I also had a little scare, as while I was grinding one of them I accidentally pressed the tip of my left middle finger pretty hard against the cross section of the 36 grit ceramic belt at full speed, and it had no problem going right through my glove, and skin.

IMG_4454.JPG

Thankfully human reaction time based on touch is extremely fast (155 msec), so I pulled back in time to prevent going to the bone, or even drawing blood. But I didn't know that right away, so I came inside, sprayed into the cut with alcohol, wiped it dry, stuffed in some polysporin, wrapped a bandaid and went back to work. I didn't even know if it would bleed or not. Well I am back inside now, and no, it didn't bleed. And I am fortunate as well that the cut is perpendicular(ish) to how my finger would press the guitar strings, should I decide to play (which happened once every six to twelve months or so haha).

Making progress on the 8670 EDC knives and Finally pulled the trigger on starting the handle for the 8670 Super Seax. Handle material and liners curing, as well as the ten blades I ground today. I love how sharp 8670 gets so easily.

IMG_4468.JPG

Back