What's that you're eating?

The best bowl of Bun Bo Hue (a hearty and filling North Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup) served in my area.

It beats the heck out of South Vietnamese Pho for both substantance and flavor.

It always contains a crosscut section of a beef shank w/the meat falling off the bone, cubes of congealed beef or pig blood and lots of other cuts of meat w/a flour (not rice) based noodle in a slightly spicy beef broth. The condiments provided for Bun Bo Hue are a bit different than for Pho with cabbage offered in addition to bean sprouts and fresh mint (instead of Thai basil); a section of lime, pieces of jalapeno and some cilantro remain the same.

If you find it on the menu at a Vietnamese restaurant, give it a try. It's hard to find a bowl that is well made. You'll know the difference when you see/taste it.

ZOF72Mj.jpg

Last edited:
Any of you guys use a sous vide to cook with?

Last night was tri-tip tenderloin, sous vide then a quick sear on a scorching hot grill. I season the meat and let it sit for about 8 hours in the fridge before cooking. Sitting for 8 hours and sous vide = melt in your mouth.
That's the only way we cook meat nowadays, comes out perfect every time😎

Snack time...
Screenshot_20220111-101206_Gallery~2.jpg

The best bowl of Bun Bo Hue (a hearty and filling North Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup) served in my area.

It beats the heck out of South Vietnamese Pho for both substantance and flavor.

It always contains a crosscut section of a beef shank w/the meat falling off the bone, cubes of congealed beef or pig blood and lots of other cuts of meat w/a flour (not rice) based noodle in a slightly spicy beef broth. The condiments provided for Bun Bo Hue are a bit different than for Pho with cabbage offered in addition to bean sprouts and fresh mint (instead of Thai basil); a section of lime, pieces of jalapeno and some cilantro remain the same.

If you find it on the menu at a Vietnamese restaurant, give it a try. It's hard to find a bowl that is well made. You'll know the difference when you see/taste it.

ZOF72Mj.jpg

From your great post, anyone can see that it's not just food. There's a whole story here. I love it. Hence, the heart eyes. 😍

It's my most culinarily favorite time of the year. The time of the Sumo Citrus harvest. It's a giant mandarin, about the size of a softball. Ugly as hell. VERY thick peel which comes off ridiculously easily. The vast majority have no seeds. And words cannot describe how sweet and juicy they are. Only available (at least around here) in January and early February. They've only been on the market a few years. They are kind of spendy, but oh are they worth it! I grew up in Florida around citrus farms - one of my high school friend's family owned a huge one. I used to think that Honeybell Tangelos were the best citrus in the world. And they're mighty fine. But these just destroy them. Not just my favorite citrus, not just my favorite fruit, not just my favorite produce, but my favorite natural food period. If you haven't enjoyed one or a hundred of these, you are missing out.

Sumo Mandarin.jpgSumo Mandarin Peeled.jpgSumo Mandarin Slices.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I can imagine. Unprecedented success breeds many haters😁. But looks like those days are over, at least for a while. Will now be rooting for the Bucs to repeat...
Yes, don't hate me but I enjoyed the game. Although it wasn't as satisfying without #12 being on the losing end. I shouldn't have said anything, now TB will probably win...

Back