Recommendation? What's the best 2-grit field sharpener

I would go with 8” sic stone. Or diafold coarse/fine.
I would like to try AF stone but unfortunately in reason of high tax and fee of customs and ship cost they don’t send to Brasil.

Last edited:
I would go with 8” sic stone. Or diafold coarse/fine.
I would like to try AF stone but unfortunately in reason of high tax and fee of customs and ship cost they don’t send to Brasil.

Who told you that? I've shipped to Brasil before. :)

The website only accepts orders from the US and Canada, but that's because we bill all other international orders by digital invoice. In fact, we do that with most Canadian orders, as well. USPS First Class International is typically the most economical international shipping rate, but it's subject to weight and dimensional restrictions that the website can't parse on its own, so we have to manually check. If it's too big and/or heavy then USPS Priority is usually the next best option.

Who told you that? I've shipped to Brasil before. :)

The website only accepts orders from the US and Canada, but that's because we bill all other international orders by digital invoice. In fact, we do that with most Canadian orders, as well. USPS First Class International is typically the most economical international shipping rate, but it's subject to weight and dimensional restrictions that the website can't parse on its own, so we have to manually check. If it's too big and/or heavy then USPS Priority is usually the next best option.

Nice. :) Can you send by p.m. how may I procedure to buy internationally?
Thank you.:thumbsup:

So, I wanted to do some side-by-side testing of field sharpeners anyway, and needed some extra field sharpeners for backpack, emergency kit, work, shed, and car. Got the DMT variant of the 2 sharpener options I listed above (the folding XC/C, and F/EF). This is also handy because I have a small number of knives with "super steels" (all folders or small fixed blades), and the diamonds can handle these steels better than the AF. I think this 2-sharpener little combo would make a welcome addition to a field sharpening kit, especially the backpacking setup where I'm likely to have 1 or 2 "super steel" blades along with me. I'll post back later when I get to try out the DMT XC in more detail as the primary grit field sharpener, that's the new part of the mix here that I've never had available to me before (I already have a C/F folding sharpener used for years, but the C has never been quite "C" enough especially for cleaning up dings and moderate blade damage in choppers and axes). I think the most interesting comparison is yet to be done, and that's between the DMT XC/C and the AF's 2 available grits. In that comparison, I expect the AF to be more versatile but we'll see.

Just a spec comparison of the AF field stone and these 2 DMT sharpeners as a set:
  • Weight
    • AF stone only (no carry case): 7.2oz
    • DMT X/C and F/EF folding sharpeners combined: 5 oz
  • Dimensions
    • AF: 5.875" x 1.625" x 0.625"
      • Sharpening surface area: 5.875" x 1.625" = 9.55 sq. in.
    • DMT X/C and F/EF sharpeners
      • Folded closed, and rubber-banded together the way I'd carry them: 5" x 1.12" x 0.871"
      • Sharpening surface area (single sharpener): 4.375" x 0.894" = 3.91 sq. in.

Considerations based on what I know today:
  • The AF is subjectively nicer to use. It gives better tactile feedback for feeling your edge than the DMT small interrupted folding sharpeners. This is user opinion but it's a very substantial difference to me.
  • The AF gives more than double the sharpening surface area. This makes it easier to get a full sharpening stroke and maintain a consistent angle, and gives you more surface area contact with each stroke.
  • The DMT 2-sharpener combo is more compact and portable than the AF stone. Compared to the AF, the 2 DMT stones rubber banded together are shorter, narrower, slightly taller, and 2.2 oz lighter. If portability is a concern--as for me with backpacking--this is worth considering.
  • The DMT 2-sharpener combo gives 4 grits. The AF gives 2. The 2 grits on the AF are more than adequate for most field usage, as are the 2 grits on the DMT XC/C. But given how compact the DMT sharpeners are, it's a nice extra to be able to bring both in a super-light package and be able to refine a coarse edge with the EF stone to finish.
  • The DMT combo will handle my folders/fixed blades in S30/S35/M390 a bit better than the AF. The AF can still sharpen at least some of these steels for sure, I've tested on S30v. But the AF is an AlOx stone, and the DMT diamonds will naturally handle super hard steels better.
  • Overall: both of these field sharpening options are really excellent and IMHO, offer far more field sharpening versatility than any other freehand field sharpeners I've tried or seen reviews/specs for. Given a choice of the 2 and for actual significant sharpening work, I'd choose the AF. It's easier to hold and use, sharpens faster due to the greater surface area, gives better feedback for feeling your edge, and is just more of a pleasure to use. However, when portability is a key consideration, when finer grit options would be useful, and when I'm carrying modern super hard steels, the DMT would get the nod. Expect to find good use in my sharpening kit for both of these.

2 stacked DMT folding sharpeners next to AF stone for L x W comparison:
y4mdKDNcN-kg8ojr1i8Y6nHNiow12dVnhiftM6-C3jGLJtzpOmrKyH0LKa9osbhw1kTX-a3pG0fmcrHEE05kw2yX5xP5U52WEBOC-WbIdJtYM_zmMCIYa-zkuKAEe1FP5VAZjUXZ405toHWDX0w8PzfhJsuWDBdfTEGopHzBAktyFhJfYc37RnFTNOWS_5uVMQLglGrr0rgKOhtdqtcCfUQww

Stacked DMT sharpeners are about 0.25" taller than the AF:
y4mAwW6DuMg16aq_QmqIpurGFmdVGVZ8oytIFPQuWwYPL_UbnvKt_MRpuiHG93q09DilYxQDrD5z1rOEExnjwfEaC3wlkyqS_khuJzN6b9peNO1KxZfuB4UDDUYc2BjdNoplPIk00M4gjJjb6sOQkcSExgC4rVF6YCcqbv5or4XbIV_UCKS53kZ3D7hit7dRDMeLCwBUduTIgCaqJdB_gisFA

AF weight:
y4mG7C52c4nHESd5alYlBi6z-YGskAKNWkC37CIFceaK5BnyTBRkTyTWvLWZXpHvQnDoN9m2NlQm8VgUv9zpdovZxCRiKMnab9KmjgdBNwPYKnAYpxpK5hTJpN4oPl95tPxS4PxApBf1j0imEnJvapoYM34Epo1QimmxscnyufhdKL5PjCa0EU6r7-wiIk6utm-f107JraBvG6f7uMVXNzHqg

DMT 2 sharpeners combined weight:
y4mBGlQ79YWpmduIoIzh6cjSqq5Z26P5laVWKmll1QrATqeTJ1K8mrfHIW-6-GYCTvYxf4mW9KGjcMqbCfaHT0s3h6yalsqjZcss-rS7Auso0tfAsaCL69iThGD8Z9iLq8r0TTSJPDrHIufqw8sxc2sb90r1SdjVTao5DoFVDTSSiHWLOb9POh97xm1IAt4bWSmhq4LdIqMUSjD2kncyZM5NA

Last edited:
There is also the Tyrolit 645 in AlOx 150/400 (FEPA) and SiC 150/400 to consider.

While not a dual-sided solution, the Suehiro Dual Stone with the #1000 AlOx swapped out in favor of the #1000 diamond plate is a portable system that I have been wanting to try out...

Got to try out the new DMT 2 folding sharpeners last evening on an S30v blade, they worked awesome. The first few times you use the XC sharpener, it is SO coarse it is literally hard to get a smooth stroke going over the surface. But as always with DMT, these need to be broken in and they will be fine. I'll use the XC to sharpen an axe or two, then they'll be broken in. The sharpening results going thru the progression XC > C > EF, or just C > EF with another blade, were outstanding and I'd say just as good as I got on the equivalent DMT bench stones. This is a really, really good 4-grit, lightweight solution for field sharpening including super steels.

Another diamond option would be the iWood 89007 150/800 (JIS) which would roughly correlate to a XXC/F DMT. Or the 89008 300/1000 as a C/F DMT alternative.

Another diamond option would be the iWood 89007 150/800 (JIS) which would roughly correlate to a XXC/F DMT. Or the 89008 300/1000 as a C/F DMT alternative.

Link to where you could purchase one? All I get when I search on that is japanese sites, and my japanese is worse than my Klingon.

I have a Spyderco Double stuff 2. It has the fine ceramic on one side , and CBN abrasive on the other which is bonded to a metal plate. I can't load pics, but if you Google it, you'll see the 2 "stones" are off-set and have tapered edges for recurves and serrations.
(plus a groove in the white ceramic for points)

I have DC-4's ,multiple Eze-Laps 3-4" , Diafolds and diamond plates of all types , etc. A toolbox full of them. They are all good , but this new sharpener is the most efficient compact do-all sharpener I have ever used. It eats high-carbide steels no problem , and the fine ceramic does a great final job on the edge. CBN is about 400 I think , and whatever Spyderco white ceramics is ( 2000?) It's a bit of a jump , but for a field sharpener it's outstanding.

It isn't cheap ( around $45 usd) but I think it's the best portable stone I have. Had I known this was coming out a few years ago , I wouldn't have bought a lot of the other portable stones I have. Check it out.

I have a Spyderco Double stuff 2. It has the fine ceramic on one side , and CBN abrasive on the other which is bonded to a metal plate. I can't load pics, but if you Google it, you'll see the 2 "stones" are off-set and have tapered edges for recurves and serrations.
(plus a groove in the white ceramic for points)

I have DC-4's ,multiple Eze-Laps 3-4" , Diafolds and diamond plates of all types , etc. A toolbox full of them. They are all good , but this new sharpener is the most efficient compact do-all sharpener I have ever used. It eats high-carbide steels no problem , and the fine ceramic does a great final job on the edge. CBN is about 400 I think , and whatever Spyderco white ceramics is ( 2000?) It's a bit of a jump , but for a field sharpener it's outstanding.

It isn't cheap ( around $45 usd) but I think it's the best portable stone I have. Had I known this was coming out a few years ago , I wouldn't have bought a lot of the other portable stones I have. Check it out.

Ah--so that confirms that it's a coated abrasive, then. It would have been so much more interesting (and justifying of the fact that the CBN component is made in China) had it been a bonded abrasive. Drat.

DeadboxHero --it looks like you were right.

Ah--so that confirms that it's a coated abrasive, then. It would have been so much more interesting (and justifying of the fact that the CBN component is made in China) had it been a bonded abrasive. Drat.

Agreed. But, I had already lost interest once I realized one of the 2 grits was still going to be a ceramic.

I read DBH's post and I see some of your fellas' points . I actually expected a full thickness bonded CBN also.
But , I do like it and will put it to good use over the next while. I used a DC4 in the bush for years , but found the diamond plate wore out quick , and the ceramic wasn't fine enough for me. ( 2nd Gen) This DS-2 seems like a much better portable stone than my DC4 was.

I read DBH's post and I see some of your fellas' points . I actually expected a full thickness bonded CBN also.
But , I do like it and will put it to good use over the next while. I used a DC4 in the bush for years , but found the diamond plate wore out quick , and the ceramic wasn't fine enough for me. ( 2nd Gen) This DS-2 seems like a much better portable stone than my DC4 was.

Oh I hear you hiwa, to be clear, I'm not trying to talk you out of liking your new Doublestuff2. :) I was just looking for some specific things in a field sharpener. Give us a write-up and review when you get a chance, with pics, eager to see it! :)

So, I wanted to do some side-by-side testing of field sharpeners anyway, and needed some extra field sharpeners for backpack, emergency kit, work, shed, and car. Got the DMT variant of the 2 sharpener options I listed above (the folding XC/C, and F/EF). This is also handy because I have a small number of knives with "super steels" (all folders or small fixed blades), and the diamonds can handle these steels better than the AF. I think this 2-sharpener little combo would make a welcome addition to a field sharpening kit, especially the backpacking setup where I'm likely to have 1 or 2 "super steel" blades along with me. I'll post back later when I get to try out the DMT XC in more detail as the primary grit field sharpener, that's the new part of the mix here that I've never had available to me before (I already have a C/F folding sharpener used for years, but the C has never been quite "C" enough especially for cleaning up dings and moderate blade damage in choppers and axes). I think the most interesting comparison is yet to be done, and that's between the DMT XC/C and the AF's 2 available grits. In that comparison, I expect the AF to be more versatile but we'll see.

Just a spec comparison of the AF field stone and these 2 DMT sharpeners as a set:
  • Weight
    • AF stone only (no carry case): 7.2oz
    • DMT X/C and F/EF folding sharpeners combined: 5 oz
  • Dimensions
    • AF: 5.875" x 1.625" x 0.625"
      • Sharpening surface area: 5.875" x 1.625" = 9.55 sq. in.
    • DMT X/C and F/EF sharpeners
      • Folded closed, and rubber-banded together the way I'd carry them: 5" x 1.12" x 0.871"
      • Sharpening surface area (single sharpener): 4.375" x 0.894" = 3.91 sq. in.

Considerations based on what I know today:
  • The AF is subjectively nicer to use. It gives better tactile feedback for feeling your edge than the DMT small interrupted folding sharpeners. This is user opinion but it's a very substantial difference to me.
  • The AF gives more than double the sharpening surface area. This makes it easier to get a full sharpening stroke and maintain a consistent angle, and gives you more surface area contact with each stroke.
  • The DMT 2-sharpener combo is more compact and portable than the AF stone. Compared to the AF, the 2 DMT stones rubber banded together are shorter, narrower, slightly taller, and 2.2 oz lighter. If portability is a concern--as for me with backpacking--this is worth considering.
  • The DMT 2-sharpener combo gives 4 grits. The AF gives 2. The 2 grits on the AF are more than adequate for most field usage, as are the 2 grits on the DMT XC/C. But given how compact the DMT sharpeners are, it's a nice extra to be able to bring both in a super-light package and be able to refine a coarse edge with the EF stone to finish.
  • The DMT combo will handle my folders/fixed blades in S30/S35/M390 a bit better than the AF. The AF can still sharpen at least some of these steels for sure, I've tested on S30v. But the AF is an AlOx stone, and the DMT diamonds will naturally handle super hard steels better.
  • Overall: both of these field sharpening options are really excellent and IMHO, offer far more field sharpening versatility than any other freehand field sharpeners I've tried or seen reviews/specs for. Given a choice of the 2 and for actual significant sharpening work, I'd choose the AF. It's easier to hold and use, sharpens faster due to the greater surface area, gives better feedback for feeling your edge, and is just more of a pleasure to use. However, when portability is a key consideration, when finer grit options would be useful, and when I'm carrying modern super hard steels, the DMT would get the nod. Expect to find good use in my sharpening kit for both of these.

2 stacked DMT folding sharpeners next to AF stone for L x W comparison:
y4mdKDNcN-kg8ojr1i8Y6nHNiow12dVnhiftM6-C3jGLJtzpOmrKyH0LKa9osbhw1kTX-a3pG0fmcrHEE05kw2yX5xP5U52WEBOC-WbIdJtYM_zmMCIYa-zkuKAEe1FP5VAZjUXZ405toHWDX0w8PzfhJsuWDBdfTEGopHzBAktyFhJfYc37RnFTNOWS_5uVMQLglGrr0rgKOhtdqtcCfUQww

Stacked DMT sharpeners are about 0.25" taller than the AF:
y4mAwW6DuMg16aq_QmqIpurGFmdVGVZ8oytIFPQuWwYPL_UbnvKt_MRpuiHG93q09DilYxQDrD5z1rOEExnjwfEaC3wlkyqS_khuJzN6b9peNO1KxZfuB4UDDUYc2BjdNoplPIk00M4gjJjb6sOQkcSExgC4rVF6YCcqbv5or4XbIV_UCKS53kZ3D7hit7dRDMeLCwBUduTIgCaqJdB_gisFA

AF weight:
y4mG7C52c4nHESd5alYlBi6z-YGskAKNWkC37CIFceaK5BnyTBRkTyTWvLWZXpHvQnDoN9m2NlQm8VgUv9zpdovZxCRiKMnab9KmjgdBNwPYKnAYpxpK5hTJpN4oPl95tPxS4PxApBf1j0imEnJvapoYM34Epo1QimmxscnyufhdKL5PjCa0EU6r7-wiIk6utm-f107JraBvG6f7uMVXNzHqg

DMT 2 sharpeners combined weight:
y4mBGlQ79YWpmduIoIzh6cjSqq5Z26P5laVWKmll1QrATqeTJ1K8mrfHIW-6-GYCTvYxf4mW9KGjcMqbCfaHT0s3h6yalsqjZcss-rS7Auso0tfAsaCL69iThGD8Z9iLq8r0TTSJPDrHIufqw8sxc2sb90r1SdjVTao5DoFVDTSSiHWLOb9POh97xm1IAt4bWSmhq4LdIqMUSjD2kncyZM5NA

Thanks for that overview!
I'd like to add that the AF field stone is also easier to use as a "bench stone" than the DMT folders if you feel like using them this way.

Thanks for that overview!
I'd like to add that the AF field stone is also easier to use as a "bench stone" than the DMT folders if you feel like using them this way.

That's right. In fact I've set my little AF field stone up in my stone holder and used it as a bench stone with folders. If I only had one sharpening stone, this would be the one.

Maximus,
Do you use oil or water with the AF stone and/or the dmt diafolds? Would the required use of lubrication disadvantage one stone against the other? E.g. If the AF stone required water then it would be harder to just grab out of your pack and use compared to the dmt diafolds.
Cheers
Tim

Back