What's the consensus on Buck 113?

19-3ben

Gold Member
I recently discovered this knife. Just from the pictures, I love the lines and the shape of the blade. Of course it had Buck's good quality 420HC.
Like every knife I newly discover, I try to look up as many reviews as possible. In doing so, I see that all the reviews are from around 2012 when the knife first came out. Well it's been about 3 years, so what do people think now that we've had them for a while.

I'm looking for a general purpose woods knife, and EDC. Here in CT, we can carry a fixed blade knife of up to 4", so this blade and 3 and some change fits nicely into the legal restrictions.
This would not likely be used for batonning, but would spend 99% of its life opening boxes, cutting cordage, perhaps a few fuzz sticks here and there, typical knife stuff. Right now I have an Izula 2 that i've been using for such things for the last month or so, but you know how this disease works. There's always the next one on the horizon.

The other contender for this role is the Becker BK14.

So what say you all?

I bought the Buck 113 Ranger Skinner almost 2 years ago and have enjoyed having it in my collection. Although it's not a knife I carry often, it's just too nice for me to want to let go of and I expect I'll be keeping it a long time. Here's what I think so far:

It has a classic and attractive design that follows some of the other greats like the Buck 110, & 112 (wood scales, brass bolster). Feels good and solid in my hand. It's small (3.1" blade) but has a little bit of weight which I like. The black leather sheath is well put together and fits it like a glove. The 113 is excellent when used for what it was intended for, which is skinning small/medium size game. I've never used it for deer but have heard someone say it does the job. I've never used it for any batonning either, so can't give any opinion on that (blade may be too short for that sort of thing anyway). I have whittled wood and cut rope with it and it performs well. Overall for the price you get a really nice knife with a lifetime warranty.

On the negative side it did not come from the factory as sharp as I wanted, so I had to spend some time re-sharpening to my liking. I also sometimes wish the handle were a bit longer. It's a little on the short side. If you have big hands this may really bother you. And I wish they had added some jimping on the blade, but this really is just a personal thing for me. Besides those three things I can't think of anything else I don't like about it.

Why oh why do people insist on banging on the spine of their knife blades? They aren't made for that. They make camp axes for splitting wood. Use your knife for what it was made for and forget batonning. Get a camp axe if you need to chop wood!

Why oh why do people insist on banging on the spine of their knife blades? They aren't made for that. They make camp axes for splitting wood. Use your knife for what it was made for and forget batonning. Get a camp axe if you need to chop wood!

Thank you.... :thumbup:

Guys, I don't think the OP had intentions for doing so. He stated in his post, "This would not likely be used for batonning ..." Let's not get carried away. He's just asking for opinions on the 113.

Thank you revolver guy. Let me state again:

This would not likely be used for batonning, but would spend 99% of its life opening boxes, cutting cordage, perhaps a few fuzz sticks here and there, typical knife stuff.

The only reason I even mentioned batoning is that some people hear "woods" and immediately go whether a knife can be used for batoning. As stated I don't plan on doing such things. It will be used as a cutting tool. Because it's a knife. And that's what knives do. They cut stuff...

So again, my question relates to the usefulness of the knife for every day tasks. I'm not a hunter, so if this is really a skinning knife only, it's a one trick pony that does a trick that's not helpful to me. If, however it has transferrable skills to other regular every day slicey sorts of things, and a handle that is comfortable to use for extended periods, then we're cooking with fire.

I was never really interested in a 113, I'm not sure why. I guess for the same reason, not much skinning going on here. But then BUCK ran a web special and I had to get something (of course). So, I got one and I'm really happy I did. This knife is really nice. It's made well, it looks great and the heavier weight feels great too. I have average hands I guess. It fits my hand nice. Four fingers on the handle or three on the handle with my thumb on the side and pointer on the spine. I plan to use this for all sorts of stuff. Also, It kind of reminds me of a 192 Vanguard. It's like a baby Vanguard. I like that.

The 113 will do all you ask, plus, it is also good for food prep.
To me, the over-all shape of the blade is rather Nessmukian, which is a good thing, at least in my opinion.

EDIT: Sorry, the 103 is Nessmukian, not the 113.
The 113 will still do all you ate asking and then some.

Last edited:
I have a 113 in S30V that I carried for well over a year. mine came razor sharp and has always held an edge very well. it has been through everything from feathering and chopping, to cutting cardboard and tape, and transitions from the warehouse to the woods very well. I've even used it at dinner from time to time. I carry other knives now (personal preference, I like to rotate like most of us do), but I always end up throwing this one in my bag or backpack for a little "insurance" so to speak. it's a good all around knife in my opinion. just thoughts from a novice.

The utility and usefulness of any given knife design and it's suitability for certain tasks is really in the mind of the user. People like all types of knives for skinning game - some folks use a knife that others wouldn't use for the same task. It is impossible for anyone to tell someone else that a given design will be just right for you to use for a given purpose. I like the Buck 113, but have only used it to skin and butcher deer. I bet it would cut anything suitable - for me the main feature of any knife is that it must be comfortable in my hand (and of course be sharp - but that I can accomplish myself). OH

I really like the knife but it is a bit small for my hand (point of reference, I find the 110 a good fit but a 112 too small for me).

Personal preference but if it fits your hand and needs I think it's a great option. Even though its a bit small for me I do like it.

I think the 113 would be a good knife for your tasks. It has a nice look to it while being a good size for an EDC knife. The weight is a little heavy compared to other blades this size but it also gives you the feeling you're holding onto something stout. It does come with a good sheath for belt carry too.

I took a picture to compare against the BK14 you mentioned and also put in some competing options for neck knives and one other buck knife that is a similar size to the 113.

The top being the BK14 which has just enough handle for me to get a 4 finger grip. I like the looks but think the blade height is more than it needs to be. The sheath is nice but is set up for neck carry. I didn't see if it would match up against a tek lok but I imagine it could be made to fit so you could carry it on your belt.

The next picture is a BJ necker. It has a similar handle size to the bk14, less of a built in guard, less blade. The factory kydex is OK, again set up to neck carry, but adding a tek lok should be easily done.

Middle knife is the new Ambush neck knife. It's a 3 finger knife, very light weight, made from Elmax, and will have the option for leather belt carry or kydex neck carry. (not pictured)

The bottom is a Buck 673. The overall length and blade length are nearly identical to the 113. It has less blade height and a rubber handle which is very comfy in hand. It's downfall against the 113 is the looks (I like the wood better) and the sheath. While the nylon sheath it comes with is good, the 113 leather sheath is better. On the plus side it's less than half the price.

I hope this helps some

img-0246.jpg

img-0247.jpg

I don't own one, but the 113 has long been on my "get it someday" list purely on the grounds of esthetics. That is one handsome piece of cutlery.

Not sure if this helps but I took a pic to give you a size comparison between a 113 and 110. My 110 is used on a frequent basis and I always felt Buck gave a generous amount of handle, which I would have liked more of on the 113.

Wow guys. This has really been tremendously helpful to me, and perhaps unknowingly, very helpful to folks in the future who are in the same situation as me and happen to find this thread.
I especially appreciate the personal experiences and the comparative photos. You guys are the best!

The top spine (hump) is more exaggerated on the George Sears knife than on the 113 or the 103. DM

I recently picked up a 113 alaskan guide skinner,so far I'm super happy with it,$118 was a heckuva deal I couldn't pass up.the s30v makes it worth the price for my needs ,I'll just have to get used to my big mitts and the small handle,but it'll work it's quite nice in the hand.

I recently discovered this knife. Just from the pictures, I love the lines and the shape of the blade. Of course it had Buck's good quality 420HC.
Like every knife I newly discover, I try to look up as many reviews as possible. In doing so, I see that all the reviews are from around 2012 when the knife first came out. Well it's been about 3 years, so what do people think now that we've had them for a while.

I'm looking for a general purpose woods knife, and EDC. Here in CT, we can carry a fixed blade knife of up to 4", so this blade and 3 and some change fits nicely into the legal restrictions.
This would not likely be used for batonning, but would spend 99% of its life opening boxes, cutting cordage, perhaps a few fuzz sticks here and there, typical knife stuff. Right now I have an Izula 2 that i've been using for such things for the last month or so, but you know how this disease works. There's always the next one on the horizon.

The other contender for this role is the Becker BK14.

So what say you all?

I live in Mass and most of my woods time in VT and NH. I do many of the same things you describe although I probably do a lot more food prep with my woods knife and a lot more wood working.

I think the 113 is a visually stunning knife and I would consider it for dedicated deer hunting, as I think that blade shape and grind are both well suited for that.

But for the uses you describe, the Buck I would be looking at is the new Selkirk (despite being over the 4" limit). I find flat/convex ground blades to be infinitely better at food prep and wood working such as fuzz sticks. I also find when working with wood that I strongly prefer to have fuller handle in my hand, as that gives me more control of the blade angle.

I was gifted a (non-Buck) Loveless style drop point hunter a little over a year ago. I have it with me right now, in fact. For me (and this is as personal as shoe styles), I don't care for fixed blades in the 3" range. I definitely prefer my fixed blades in the 4" to 5" range. Sub-4" and I personally prefer the knife to be folder, which puts us back to the perennial favorites of the 110 and 112. Since you've taken batonning off of the table, for me, I don't see any advantage to a fixed blade in that size range. I get a lot more use in a lot more situations out of my 110s and 112s than I get out of my Loveless style fixed blade or that I would personally get from 113 - as pretty as it is.

I'm glad Buck brought out the 113 in a drop point and I'm super glad they brought out the full flat, drop point Selkirk. My wish would be that they would offer full flat drop point blade options in the 110 and 112. The recent special run of drop point 110s was a nice step in the right direction but in the end, the hollow grind was a deal breaker for me, as that immediately relegates knives to hunting/fishing/meat processing duty.

If you already have an Izula and if you like that general size and are smitten with the stunning looks of the 113, just get it and use the Izula and 113 side by each for a while. Develop your own preferences on blade grinds.

Back