What's the consensus on Buck 113?

The BUCK Ranger Skinner #113 is my every single day carry knife in and out of town. I only carry fixed blade knives now.

I am starting to carry another BUCK FB knife on my leather belt for the woods/wilderness too.

My #113 is the standard version and it was bought from a well known sporting goods store here in Western Montana.

I love it and I may get a custom one made for Christmas. The people @ the Buck Knife company are very helpful in answering any of your questions. The man that you talk to in the custom shop is very helpful and nice too.

(My husband may get a Buck Frontiersman #124 knife for his birthday too.)

Cate

I have a 113 charcoal DW blem 1st year production with 420hc. I have used it the past 3 seasons, no complaints. It's dressed 7 whitetails and only sharpened once. As ohen says, little small for my hand, but works too well not to use.

I used the 113 in a warehouse setting for 6 months or so for cutting open boxes and tearing down cardboard. It's a fantastic knife for that purpose. The only reason I don't use it anymore is because a made a knife that I like better. If you find the handle is a tad short, just add a little lanyard. It definitely helps with the grip. You won't be disappointed, it's an awesome knife.

Not sure if this helps but I took a pic to give you a size comparison between a 113 and 110. My 110 is used on a frequent basis and I always felt Buck gave a generous amount of handle, which I would have liked more of on the 113.

Good comparison.

For my deer things, I prefer the 110. Have tried some others and always back to the 110.

But, That 113 is neat looking.

I love the looks and feel of my 113, I got it when I became an NRA life member. I do not hunt but it seems a shame, the knife needs to be used. I am a fairly serious cook (at home and camping) and I have cut meat with it, the hollow grind strikes me as superb. I do not like hollow grind blades for potatoes or apples or onions but I love them for meat of any kind. I think it would do a job on deer - unless you were doing serious processing, in which case you want a skinner, a boning knife, a cleaver and a saw. The 113 would be your skinner.

A pox on you Buck knives enablers on this forum! ;)

This thread caused me to research the 113 model a bit more, which led me to various iterations of said model, which led me to figure how to actually spend more money than required to obtain one, which led to a new Alaskan Guide series 113 arriving in today's mail. Which then led to me to liking the appearance of the Alaskan Guide model enough to where I promptly placed an order for the 110. Sigh. Have to figure out another knife in storage I can move out.

It does feel nice in the hand. I'm curious how the black coating will stand up, but it doesn't matter too much as it's going to get used anyway. Deer season in a month. :)

Thats a Ti coating, particles are bombarded into the steel, it won't come off.

I just got one to use this deer season. I'll be using it along side a Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter. I hope to kill a couple of deer so I'll let you guys know how it does.

Initial impressions, the made in Mexico sheath seems to be decent quality. I hope the chemical smell goes away soon or it will have to stay in the truck when I'm hunting. I wish it were ambidextrous. I'm left-handed. Retention is great and the belt loop is nice and big.

The knife fit and finish is good. It has a small gap between the blade and one bolster but not too bad. Since the blade is stainless this shouldn't be too much of a problem. I love the hollow grind. I wish more manufacturers still used it. It works really well on game. The 420 steel seems very hard so that's good. I hope it holds an edge through a deer. A lot of our deer have dirty hides (muddy hardwood bottom where they eat acorns dropping from white oaks) which are heck on steel. So far 3V properly heat treated is the only thing that's gone through more than one deer before needing to be sharpened. I did use D2 from Benchmade through two deer but had to strop it.

I like the design and size. I wear XL gloves and while the grip is a little small I can still 4-finger it. I may round the corners a little but the ergos are great.

I look forward to using it and for the money it's hard to beat!

That's right Joe, hunting gear - time to get it together if you haven't already. Nice Buck 113 - I think the black coating looks good - is that the same finish that is on the new Buck 119 Brahma? OH

Buck_and_Winchester_10-13-12.jpg

Sulaco - I've used the Cold Steel version of the Pendleton for some time now. Really a good knife I think. Wish I could afford the real thing. Small world.

This thread caused me to research the 113 model a bit more, which led me to various iterations of said model, which led me to figure how to actually spend more money than required to obtain one, which led to a new Alaskan Guide series 113 arriving in today's mail. Which then led to me to liking the appearance of the Alaskan Guide model enough to where I promptly placed an order for the 110. Sigh. Have to figure out another knife in storage I can move out.

Congrats!

Cate

I have a real good insight on this model after feild dressing and butchering a 145 lb whitetail buck yesterday,I can tell you it's an excellent design for hunting,skinning,general camp use,and de boning a whole animal without a need to stop and re sharpen or touch up the edge.I even went so far as to break the pelvic bone with it and not even a tiny chip,it just tackled the job and handled it with ease.MIne is the alaskan guide model,and it will still shave hair off my arm,which I could not believe.lol

I've been itching for a Buck 113 w/ S30V and either Buffalo or Rams Horn out of Bucks custom shop. The price is rather offputting though. It ends up being in a price point in which there are many more competitors, and I just don't know if I want to shell out that much for the 113. Anyone else have custom 113's?

Beautiful knife there. I've looked at those online since they came out but never bought one. My 16yo daughter bought a regular 113 this summer and has been using it quite a bit. When ever she has it out in the kitchen I take a few minutes to examine it. Imho they really are stunning knives. So many Buck's I like.:(Makes it hard sometimes to decide.

The pics in this thread forced me to order one with a oak handle.

Imafritz, love your old Bear bow. Betcha it could tell some stories

Back