What's the difference?

• I suppose the moral of the discussion is that the vast majority of CPK buyers are highly satisfied customers who repeat purchase. There are always folks who require more out of a given product than it was meant to produce, based on design, manufacture and anticipated performance. Typically just a matter of individual expectations rather product characteristics, at least IMO.

I agree with that as well.

But some knives suck...

CPK and Busse and many of the brands that have been mentioned in this thread would definitely not fall into that category.

We see this in all fields, really, the tendency to compare. But I find it more appropriate to gauge each product independently based on what it is made for and what properties are embedded in the design.

I also acknowledge this is a digression from the original post. I have nothing to add to that one. Sorry :)

I agree with that as well.

But some knives suck...

CPK and Busse and many of the brands that have been mentioned in this thread would definitely not fall into that category.

We see this in all fields, really, the tendency to compare. But I find it more appropriate to gauge each product independently based on what it is made for and what properties are embedded in the design.

I also acknowledge this is a digression from the original post. I have nothing to add to that one. Sorry :)

Your fourth paragraph is right on.

Lol!

Man, that 4V stuff seems pretty intense though.. am I right? I'll bet it's like 3V but probably somewhat different as well. We should definitely discuss what differences we experience in use as we have the opportunity. (Dry humor disclaimer)

So far all I know about 4V or V4E is what I have read. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot next to the D3V. I've had great experiences with the D3V in terms of rolling/chipping when making accidental contact with an unintended target. Stain resistance isn't a huge concern for me, so I'm very interested in the toughness/edge stability aspect.

I'm planning to resharpen my D3V and 4V CPK EDC's to the same edge geometry to do a side by side. I'm sure Nathan and crew have done this extensively, but seeing the differences first hand is always valuable.

I'll be sure to share my experiences with this crew.

So glad that i stumbled across this thread the begining was actually very informative and i found the rest very entertaining. I see this in every forum ive ever been involved in. Mostly car Forums from vwvortex to b20vtec to nasioc and now focusst there's a lot of good info out there but most threads eventually turn into my blank is better than your blank and here's why and if you don't believe it you're just a fanboy for whatever company you're talking about. My intake is the best because it's 4 inches, no your intake sucks cuz it's too big for the motor you're trying to put it on and it's not rated to flow the correct amount of air.

While there may be some Merit to Guy b's argument Guy a will always insist that he is right because it's what he owns.. and these "discussions" can get pretty nasty. same thing with auto manufacturers everyone in the forms swears that their manufacturer is the best "how can these guys drive Hondas when Volkswagen makes the best cars ever" meanwhile most of the people making this argument have never even driven a honda.

Its the same thing with knives my steel is better then your steel, how can you buy a mora or a condor when you could buy "x" how could you baton with a knife when you should just use an axe. I own a few busse knifes, several survive knives, battle horse knives, a bunch of moras and a bunch of other brands. They're all great, i dont think ive ever gotten a knife that i flat out hated. Granted some came sharper then others and some hold an edge better, some process wood better and some slice better.

Sorry for the rant i just get sick of seeing the same thing over and over. I look forward to getting my hands on one of these 4v knives and putting it to work

Did I read that right? Did someone say my knives aren't particularly sharp? I mean, I get it, there is always going to be something out there sharper (until you get to eye surgeon scalpel or whatever) but come on...

I lose sleep at night worrying about stuff. Everybody who cares about their work feels moments of insecurities about it, but I'm relatively sure my knives are pretty goddamn sharp. Is it possible to get sharper? Of course. But come on man, I'll bet we're sharper than 99% of the stuff out there, that's not a critique I feel is deserved. :mad:

Last edited:
Did I read that right? Did someone say my knives aren't particularly sharp? I mean, I get it, there is always going to be something out there sharper (until you get to eye surgeon scalpel or whatever) but come on...

I loose sleep at night worrying about stuff. Everybody who cares about their work feels moments of insecurities about it, but I'm relatively sure my knives are pretty goddamn sharp. Is it possible to get sharper? Of course. But come on man, I'll bet we're sharper than 99% of the stuff out there, that's not a critique I feel is deserved. :mad:

Your knives are sharp Nathan but sometimes people are not.:D

I loose sleep at night worrying about stuff. Everybody who cares about their work feels moments of insecurities about it, but I'm relatively sure my knives are pretty goddamn sharp. Is it possible to get sharper? Of course. But come on man, I'll bet we're sharper than 99% of the stuff out there, that's not a critique I feel is deserved. :mad:
WOW, Just saw this, interesting stuff:thumbsup: I like both Busse and Nathan's work very much! Can a knife be made sharper-Of course! Ban does indeed do incredible work (But at a cost if it is not his knife) I find Nathan's work (Knives) very sharp as delivered! Keep up the Good Work Nathan:thumbsup::cool:

Last edited:

I have been extremely impressed by the edge on every one of the 7 knives I have bought from CPK. The D2 version of the EDC is the sharpest knife I have ever received from anyone and the LC was hair popping sharp for the entire length of the edge. I couldn't be happier. I use my knives and have not had to touch a single CPK edge before immediately putting the knife to use. :)

Just keep doing what you are doing. :thumbsup:

that I agree might mean nothing to people here, as I'm obviously biased, but I had the same reaction when I read that post

everyone is entitled to their inherently subjective opinion, so I don't have much to say on this particular issue, other than that I mostly disagree with much of what I read in that post. And I have as much experience as anyone out there when it comes to the topic of edges on CPKs

Nate, you're going to lose sleep all the time and that's the reality of running your own business as I know you well know. But honestly, you don't need to lose sleep over your decisions regarding the general 'sharpness' of your knives. You're doing it more consistently well than most of the options available out there that you're competing against

I don't think PT said that Nathan.

I think what he was saying is that for his preferences they weren't sharp as he would like.

Of course his preferences are his and I'm sure someone like him whom is capable of putting a scary sharp edge on a knife might find anything less disappointing.

As I pointed out above I think the edges function very well. I wouldn't AT ALL suggest it's something you need to lose ANY sleep over.

I don't think PT said that Nathan.

I think what he was saying is that for his preferences they weren't sharp as he would like.

Of course his preferences are his and I'm sure someone like him whom is capable of putting a scary sharp edge on a knife might find anything less disappointing.

As I pointed out above I think the edges function very well. I wouldn't AT ALL suggest it's something you need to lose ANY sleep over.

EXACTLY.

I can only speak from my experience. I do come here to communicate honestly. I think the edge is suitable based on the cost and the philosophy of use and design. I think my post was rather well-stated and I stand by it.

Please note these statements favorable to your brand:

*I have never received a knife from either company that would fail to perform a given task that I required of it.

*So the CPK edge is certainly in line with the design and philosophy of use that the product was made for. This could be described as objectively optimized.

*These are performance knives, and performance implies the accomplishment of work.

*CPK knives are demonstrably optimized for performance at a given task and not necessarily designed to meet an ideal of sharpness.

*I commend Nathan and Jo's commitment to developing the product and keeping things tight.

I will also add that I think the edges you are producing, combined with the cost of the knives, represents an excellent value.

Last edited:
Here I go again unable to keep my thoughts to myself, again!

OCD fondness for sharpening or extraordinary sharpening is a hobby, art form, etc. Some folks like PT have managed to become so proficient and passionate at this craft that they offer their services as an ancillary to the main business of knife making. I consider this a very good thing because as consumers we crave for options and choices when it comes to "customization". If a mainstream larger manufacturer or even a specialty niche market manufacturer like CPK went that route by charging an extra $40 or however much $ by the inch per hour to achieve a spectacularly sharp custom age, they would price themselves out of the market and would also put some of these the ancillary services out of business.

For what CPK offers at the prices that they do, we are getting fantastically performing knives with edges more durable and heck of a lot sharper than most and many others. Nathan knows scary and wicked sharp!

I can only speak from my experience. I do come here to communicate honestly. I think the edge is suitable based on the cost and the philosophy of use and design. I think my post was rather well-stated and I stand by it.

Please note these statements favorable to your brand:

I will also add that I think the edges you are producing, combined with the cost of the knives, represents an excellent value.

Generally speaking it isn't going to hurt my feelings getting lumped into the same sentence as Busse, they're a good company and have their act together, but they're not exactly known for sharpness and high levels of cutting performance, that's not their area of focus, but it is ours. We put a lot of time and effort in our edge geometry and initial sharpness so folks can get a knife out-of-the-box that consistently cuts very well. I'm sure you didn't mean to be disparaging, but this was one area I felt I needed to set the record straight. Our knives are sharp.

I'll get off my soap box now. We're cool. :thumbsup:

I lose sleep at night worrying about stuff.......Is it possible to get sharper? Of course. But come on man, I'll bet we're sharper than 99% of the stuff out there.......

Yes, absolutely sharper than most stuff out there, and your blades have great geometry. No sleep loss necessary.

I'm quite happy with the edge on my new chopper, I can shave hair and slice phone book paper, I took it out and cut up some 4" diameter trees, thinned out some bushes, chopped some 6" diameter branches off a dead tree for a fire, then a few passes on the strop and I was back to slicing phone book paper.
This is all the sharpness I need for cutting, slicing and chopping in the woods and so far my CPK chopper is the sharpest knife I have received new with factory edge, I don't know if it will whittle hair (not something I'm concerned with) but for my purposes, it is outstanding.

I'm quite happy with the edge on my new chopper, I can shave hair and slice phone book paper, I took it out and cut up some 4" diameter trees, thinned out some bushes, chopped some 6" diameter branches off a dead tree for a fire, then a few passes on the strop and I was back to slicing phone book paper.
This is all the sharpness I need for cutting, slicing and chopping in the woods and so far my CPK chopper is the sharpest knife I have received new with factory edge, I don't know if it will whittle hair (not something I'm concerned with) but for my purposes, it is outstanding.

Now sip some bourbon and enjoy your knife and fire :thumbsup:

Back