What's the ideal urban edc multi tool?

This will be carried in my backpack. I thought about the Leatherman KF4, Blast or a Swisstool. Not sure if I need a saw or file, but screwdrivers are essential and it'll compliment a Micra

The best multi is the one that works best for you. There is no point spending $80.-100.00 or more on a high end tool if you find it bulky and awkward to use. Also, I think you'll find that you want a beater and something you won't mind replacing if lost or "overused". Like a lot of others here, I have a number of multi's and I have my own opinion on which tool is best to go where with me.
I've found the new Wave has what I need, but if you're needing screwdrivers I wouldn't suggest it as it's not strong in that department-IMO. For a few years I carried a Gerber Legend 800 which I found quite sufficient and you can replace the saw blade as needed. You may also find that a SAK is more in line with what you need to accomplish. Either way, get something you're happy with. :)

My current EDC multi-tool is a SOG powerlock. It works great and if one of the tools on it breaks they are easily replaced via removable hex bolts. It's a little on the heavy side, but if you are going to put it in a backpack that may not be a real big deal. It's really all a matter of personal preference.

Another vote for the Swisstool-X or Sog Powerlock. Hefty...yes. But extremely strong designs. I loved the original Wave, but kept bending the screwdrivers. Just my .02 worth. :)

As Matches points out, the best one is the one you have with you. Personally, I've chosen the Leatherma Wave (original) on my belt and a Victorinox Manager in my watch pocket backed up with a Cybertool 29 and Wave Tool Adapter+extra bits in my bag. I find that I have practically all situations covered with this combination. If you're going to keep it in your backpack, then bulk probably doesn't matter that much so your options are very open. Here are my suggestions, all are from companies who have a reputation for quality. I haven't owned the recent batch of LM (new Wave, Charge, Blast or Fuse) or the Spirit, but I've owned/used all of the others at one point or the other.

Heavy duty: SOG Powerlock, LM SuperTool 200 or Blast, Swisstool-X. All four are top notch quality (with the nod going to the Swisstool for final fit and polish). These are all heavy duty tools, capable of very hard use. Of course, you pay for this strength with added weight and bulk. Since you're looking for

Medium duty: Leatherman Wave, Charge, or Fuse; or Swisstool Spirit, Cybertool series. All of these will cover most of the needs you will encounter. With the new beefed up pivot and locking mechanism, the Wave and the Charge might even be considered heavy duty but fall slightly short of the sheer robustness of the onces in the heavy duty selection. The Cybertool 34/41's pliers fall short of medium duty, but the included bits with its emphasis on technical work make it a better fit for "urban" work.

Since you're looking for the "ideal urban tool", I don't think you should bother with any in the Juice line, as I consider their pliers and tools too light for any but the lightest of tasks..

Among the ones you mentioned, I'd suggest the Swisstool with the optional bits and tools. The Blast hits a sweet spot for price/performance, but isn't what I'd call ideal. If you are partial to Leathermans, the Charge/Wave are excellent options but lack an awl. If you are going to be doing alot of electronic/technical work, the Cybertools are very good compact choices.

Of course, you could follow the Bladeforums motto and "buy them all". :).

Swisstool Spirit. very solid, compact. Get it by itself, or if you need to carry many different drivers, get the "plus", the mini ratchet is very handy, and takes standard hex bits.

The juices are nice, but I tend to miss full size needlenose pliers and locking tools.

I think the SOG PL or old ST would be overkill in most cases (I like my SOG, but it's not exactly compact).

LM Charge/Wave are fine, but I do not like the proprietary drivers (too short).

But those are my opinions. Take some time and read the reviews here. You have a good list in this thread, now check them out on your own. Definitely try them in a store if you can, sometimes the obvious is there as soon as you try it.

Klattman said:
I think the SOG PL or old ST would be overkill in most cases (I like my SOG, but it's not exactly compact).

Overkill is good, especially if you have space and don't mind the weight.;)

Also if you don't need one of the tools on the powerlock you can buy new tools for it that you do have a use for.

If your going to carry it in your backpack then weight isnt as much a problem then if you were to carry in in your pocket or belt so go for a larger one of the tools , the swisstool is my first choice and the X model has scissors , you could also get the wrench bit kit to go with it like enkidu said , as for saying your not sure if you need the file or saw you are so going to regret saying that the day you do need them :D far better to have them and not need them than to not have them and need them .

Dunc

Here's the tightwads' way out:

Do you already own a good SAK? If so, toss it and a pair of pliers in your backpack ......... there you go! Instant "multi" at a cost of less than $10 (IF you have to buy the pair of pliers, that is)!

GarageBoy said:
Hmm..too many decisions.. I'm really unsure if I need a file/saw

You'll find uses for both of them. It's better to have than have not ;)

Like others have said, go with what works for you. I carried a Supertool 200 for a couple of years before the new wave caught my fancy. I didn't "need" the strength and weight of the ST200 and the wave had a bit driver. After awhile i found that 75% of the time the bits were too short to get at what i needed them to turn and the pliers kept jamming between the bit and the other tools so that they wouldn't close. I have gone back to the ST200 and plan to upgrade to the Core in the next month or so. Heavy? yes, but not buggy like my wave. It goes with me everywhere and never lets me down.
If i HAD to scale back my tools to something i would only need every so often for lighter tasks and as compact as i could get by with, then i'd go with the the Leatherman CS4 juice if i needed pliers or a Vic Spartan Lite. YMMV:) good luck.

Jake

I was thinking KF4 and Micra combo, since having a CS4 and Micra would be redundant on certain things.
I think I'll go full size now and get a few smaller ones later

I just moved from my Leatherman PST to the new Wave (Wave II?). I've had my PST for a lot of years and have literally worn out the wire cutters. I work in software testing in a research lab full of PC, so my PST has been on my belt all time and gets used a bunch. I got my Wave mostly for pliers portion to get those jumpers on back of disk drives. They have that fine tip like the PST. I'm not getting rid of my PST, by any stretch - it's still got some good life in it :D Just going into my daypack. I've only had my Wave for a few days, so we'll see if I miss those screwdrivers :)

- gord

Get a SAK for pocket or belt carry (a Cybertool if you need lots of screwdrivers) and a Swisstool with the ratchet to carry in your backpack. The SwissTool migh be heavy, but it is great.

GarageBoy said:
This will be carried in my backpack. I thought about the Leatherman KF4, Blast or a Swisstool. Not sure if I need a saw or file, but screwdrivers are essential and it'll compliment a Micra

I'm not recommending you carry all of these, but here are a few suggestions for you to chew on:
  • Swiss-Tech ScrewzAll
  • Swiss-Tech MicroPlus
  • Swiss-Tech Micro Pro XL
  • Sog CrossCut
  • Sog CrossGrip
  • Leatherman Micra
  • Leatherman Wave
  • Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp II
  • Victorinox SwissChamp
  • Victorinox CyberTool 41
  • Victorinox SwissToo R/S
The combination that works for me is: Vic Midnite MiniChamp II in pocket. SwissChamp or CyberTool 41 on belt. Wave or SwissTool R/S in shoulderbag.

Before you buy anything, you should brainstorm what you really need in a multi tool. If you are not going to need pliers, than I reccommend basically all medium sized SAK.

Ok, looking at the SOG and the Swiss tool, leatherman's aren't exactly that nicely finished, but the blast is relatively inexpensive. Would the swisstool's scissors be nicer than the micras?

For urban use, I like the Swisstool Spirit. Great build quality, nice tool selection.

I keep a regular Swisstool in my glovebox. . .

Back