What's the ideal urban edc multi tool?

Binford said:
I EDC either a Spirit or Wave, but will be getting a Surge as soon as they're available. I like the compactness and locking tools of the Spirit.

What's the difference between the Spirit and the Surge? I have yet to look them over. These 10-hour days are getting to me.

Binford said:
In a lot of Multi-Tool threads, people say they never use the blades on a multi because they are always EDCing something better.

Been thinking along those lines, myself.

Binford said:
Anyway, no matter which Multi Tool I have with meet, I always have my CyberTool 29 as well. The 29 has the perfect balance for the screwdriver bit holder and a nice long narrow reach.

I have the CyberTool 34 & 41, but not the 29. I like the SAK with a saw concept, so I generally carry the 41 on my belt.

Hi Cardimon,

The first difference is that the Surge weighs about 50% more than the Swiasstool Spirit. I view the Surge as being the biggest multitool pliers out there and, at 12 1/2 ounces, more a daypack or truck cab tool than one for on my belt.

I have a Spirit and really like it. Rugged enough for 95% of what I need to do and a nice size to carry.

I will have a Surge when they come out as I think the inter-changeable file/saw feature looks neat.

Take a look at both and you'll probably decide the only answer is that you need both :)

Best - Joe

The multi-tool I EDC on my belt is the Leatherman Blast. Before, it was my old original PST, which I've somewhat retired. For me, the Blast is perfect for a large multi. But, I also carry a Micra and even a couple of Victorinox SAK's (SAK Classic, and either a Tinker or Soldier model). Oddly enough, I often find myself just pulling out my SAK more often, as the (similar) tool is quicker to access than on the multi-plier. Though the Blast certainly far more heavy-duty.
Jim

James Y said:
...I also carry a Micra and even a couple of Victorinox SAK's (SAK Classic, and either a Tinker or Soldier model)...

Do you carry them all at the same time?

I've gotten so that I'm uncomfortable leaving the house without both a large SAK (either my SwissChamp or CyberTool 41) on my belt and a small SAK (either my Midnite MiniChamp II or my plain old MiniChamp) in my front pocket.

Being a knife addict, I also carry my Spyderco Jester alongside whichever small SAK I'm carrying. That's in addition to carrying my A.G.Russell Ultimate PenKnife and Gerber Micro L.S.T. both in the watch/change pocket of my jeans.

Cardimon:
Yes, I usually carry all at the same time. The Blast on my belt in the nylon(?) version belt sheath in horizontal position; the SAK Classic down in my R front pocket; SAK Tinker or Soldier either in L front pocket or in fanny pack; and the Micra in fanny pack or L front pocket. It sounds like a lot, but when you're used to it, it's hardly noticeable.

That in addition to whatever knife or knives I carry :D . I don't use every one of them every single day, but I guess I just like 'em! I feel Victorinox SAKs are a perfect complement to a good Leatherman or other multi-tool.
Jim

Back