What's the ideal urban edc multi tool?

Makes sense , good choice .should have my spirit within 10 days and may well do the same as you with my swisstool .

Dunc

My vote is the Charge Ti. If you get the extended bit kit too, you'll have more screwdrivers than you can shake a stick at. It is definitely my favorite multitool and I EDC mine clipped in my pocket. I think it's 8.4 ounces or something like that, so it shouldn't be any problem in a backpack.

Also, I think the charge is fine for heavy duty use, and it comes with the best blade by far (154cm) of any multitool.

Isn't the Sprit Swiss and the Swiss the same, minus the handle? I'm leaning towards one

The swisstool Spirit is a smaller lighter version of the original swisstool.The top one is the original.
03_3_0327_x.jpg

3_0227_Image2_klein.jpg

Duncan

Actually the top one is a swisstool X , the one with scissors

FitzSimmons said:
My vote is the Charge Ti. If you get the extended bit kit too, you'll have more screwdrivers than you can shake a stick at. It is definitely my favorite multitool and I EDC mine clipped in my pocket. I think it's 8.4 ounces or something like that, so it shouldn't be any problem in a backpack.

Also, I think the charge is fine for heavy duty use, and it comes with the best blade by far (154cm) of any multitool.

I have to say the Charge is a very good choice and i have one aswell , the one handed opening blades are great ,used it yesterday while doing some work on our boat .I had the swisstool and charge with me and the charge was more usefull for cutting rope when i didnt have a free hand to open the blades, also imo the pliers and wire cutters are superior on the charge but be warned you will come unstuck with the short screwdrivers if you want to use them on any deep recessed screws :grumpy: also it is more expensive .
Have you handled a charge , swisstool or any of the others ? i think when you have them in your hands it will be alot easier to decide.

Duncan

I've handled the Charge, Wave, Blast and Swiss Tool. The Swiss Tool Spirit is speced the same as the regular on V'Nox's site. I think that's gonna be the one

GarageBoy said:
I've handled the Charge, Wave, Blast and Swiss Tool. The Swiss Tool Spirit is speced the same as the regular on V'Nox's site. I think that's gonna be the one

The spirit has more rounded edges.
Very comfy to use. The spirit feels more 'dense', meaning most of the same tools, but a bit more compact. I think for size (not weight):

SOG Plock~=ST original~=LM Super

LMWave~=ST Spirit

If you get the spirit by itself, it should be competitively priced with most others (Blast/Wave/SOG). If you get the plus with the ratchet, you'll probably pay as much as a Charge Ti or so.

As I said above, I favor the Spirit over the Charge simply because the charge's drivers are proprietary (and short), while the ST Sprits are simply 1/4" hex (so you can get whatever you commonly use and keep in in the bit holder).

One thing about the spirit is that the scissors are very stubby. Most MT scissors are bad anyway, so it's a good thing you have a micra.

mnblade said:
Here's the tightwads' way out:

Do you already own a good SAK? If so, toss it and a pair of pliers in your backpack ......... there you go! Instant "multi" ...

More than simply an inexpensive route, I think of your suggestion also as a good way to lighten one's load. I wore my shoulder bag for quite some time this weekend, The weight damn near crippled my shoulder. OUCH!

Upon my return home, I removed the Stanley Wonderbar II prybar, Inova XO3, and Victorinox SwissTool R/S. I may have to remove even more, but that will do for now.

My bag is now bereft of pliers -- and that won't do at all. So I'm throwing my reliable needlenosers into my bag. Between those needlenose pliers and the SwissChamp or CyberTool 41 I usually wear on my belt, that should help cover most emergencies I could run across.

I want to buy a Wave 2004, but this thread got me doubting. Is the only issue with the screwdriver bit the shortness of them ? Because if I need to reach a deep screw, or loosen a rusted one, I'll make sure to have some real screwdrivers by hand. But if the bits aren't up to normal use, I rather not spend my money on them.
I'd really like the many bits (especially the hex and torx), as the Blast doesn't have them.
Maybe I should opt for a Blast and a set of hex keys...

Edit: darn, the Blast doesn't have a diamondcoated file...

Ideally, you would want to take a look at one before you buy it so you can judge for yourself. I have only put a fair amount of torque on the screwdriver once and the bit held up ok. I would feel better with the drivers on the original Wave...but then you lose the stronger pliers and the mini-screw driver bits. Tough call...I'm still trying to decide myself :confused:

Well, I've looked at one in a shopwindow, but I haven't had the chance to handle one. And for an answer to my question I won't be allowed to test the shop piece I'm afraid :( .

This would be my choice for Urban EDC.. but I guess it all depends on what ya need it for..

knifeart1853415819144tr.jpg
:eek:

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm just not convinced that this "bit in a holder" is an improvement. I guess to make matters worse, I snapped a phillips head implement on a Craftsman-Pro which seemingly had more on the ball than the new Leatherman Wave. I have considered carrying my new Wave at home and going with the original at work :)

I never find myself needing the use of a plier during a regular day, so I just carry a Victorinox Spartan Lite. So far, the Spartan Lite is able to tackle any task encountered during my average day without much difficulty. I also EDC a Leatherman Squirt P4 just in case I need a plier and a Victorinox Signature Lite for writing stuff. As a backup, I have a Swiss Card Lite in my wallet.

I EDC either a Spirit or Wave, but will be getting a Surge as soon as they're available. I like the compactness and locking tools of the Spirit. I also actually like the blade on the Spirit since I always carry a plain edge folder of some sort. In a lot of Multi-Tool threads, people say they never use the blades on a multi because they are always EDCing something better.

Anyway, no matter which Multi Tool I have with meet, I always have my CyberTool 29 as well. The 29 has the perfect balance for the screwdriver bit holder and a nice long narrow reach. :thumbup:

Back