What's the point of a sharp pointed knife ?

:oops: I must recognize that there are special purpose knives that benefit from having no sharp point . See recent thread . https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pointless-knives-what-are-they-good-for.1751636/

But the notion that a sharp point is ONLY for stabbing is completely erroneous , IMO .

I consider a sharp point to be extremely useful and I believe that others must share this view .

So please contribute regarding the many functions of a sharp point . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or , of course , demonstrate/ testify the opposite ! :rolleyes:

Zip ties!

So...two people, mostly in jest said something after you brought the topic up? Whew! I was worried there was some scourge of anti-pointy knife people going around bad mouthing the whole "point" of a knife!

Further, how prevalent are all these knives without points you are so critical of? Can't really criticize the purpose driven ones. Seems you want to criticize the fad of cleaver shaped knives, many of which I still see having a very functional point useful in the ways being praised in this thread (or us it the other one on this same topic, difficult to keep them straight since they are so similar).

I seem to recall the Mayor of London declaring there is no reason whatsoever to have a pointy knife.

I hope the Mayor then went home and *removed*(/destroyed) and then replaced any and all "pointy" knives from their household with something more akin to butter knives... though I suspect they did not.

"talk is easy"

Joe.

I hope the Mayor then went home and *removed*(/destroyed) and then replaced any and all "pointy" knives from their household with something more akin to butter knives... though I suspect they did not.

"talk is easy"

Joe.
I think the London knife laws are sort of ridiculous. But honestly, my dominant knife needs are at home and a point is seldom needed. That doesn't change the fact that I prefer a pointy knife to carry and it has nothing to do with stabbing or the possibility of stabbing people. It is about flexibility of function. The butter knife analogy is sort of stupid too as you can sharpen non-pointy knives pretty sharp and they function quite well overall. You can even open "bullet proof" store packaging with them.

I open cardboard packaging all the time with my Vic SAK (spear point)..... truly all the time and they aren't very pointy. A few years ago the sodbuster pattern was popular (fairly inexpensive single blade slip joint) and I got one of the GEC bullnose knives thinking ...... well, everyone likes them, so I'll give one a try. Really didn't care for the blade shape at all for regular use and much prefer a spear or clip point. I got really frustrated trying to open store packaging with that knife when I thought it should work well. Hence, I generally do not purchase slip joints with that blade shape (GEC's drop point) any more. With slip joints, there is a limit to how much pressure I place pushing the point or tip into something as I am always aware that I could fold the blade back onto myself. Hence I want POINT. Yeah I know, that's why they have locking blades now. :D

I like pointy blades very much. For piercing and small exact cuts. Plus , points look cool.

I think a gun is great for self-defense if you have good training and practise realistic scenarios regularly. No training, no practise? Much less valuable.

If you're rolling around on the ground, your knife is as likely to kill you as it is your opponent. At that point you need ground-fighting skills.

Sorry to get us so far off-topic.

-Tyson

I agree with Rambo that the brain is the best weapon. People need to pay attention to what is going on around them - situational awareness. If a person isn't paying attention and a criminal gets the jump on them, it probably won't matter what they are armed with.

I was just using it to make the point. Situational awareness is very important.

I know, and I agree with your point 100%. It's a good quote that makes your point from a cheesy-but-awesome character. It just inspired me to use a good quote that makes my point from a cheesy-but-awesome character too.

-Tyson

speck ? air dried and smoked bacon. Specialty of Tirol in the Alps.

Not just Tirol.
You haven’t tried speck until you’ve tried Croatian speck.

The nice thing about it is that it varies in style as you go from coast upwards and inland, from heavily smoked and dried, through wetter and less smoked, back to heavier smoked, but fatter, so you can easily find your sweet spot.

And i’m not saying this as a Croat, but a speck-a-holic.

I'm pretty entertained by the fact that, on a forum for knife enthusiasts, a discussion about why knives have sharp points (as if five hundred thousand years or so of making almost all knives with sharp points hasn't made it clear yet) has also somehow included side discussions on self-defense theory, 80's movie quotes, and a little bit of debate on which countries make the best speck.

This is a good thread. :D

-Tyson

Well said, it is an Alp thing and not just... wherever there is pork and cold, dry air, maybe some good wood for smoking. There you go. I'd love to try the Croatian speck, really. Still a speck-a-holic after all these years, but I'm getting picky, so there's that.
And... funny thing is nobody said that bold pointy blades are so much more beautiful than strictly working point blades, eh ?
It's like a stallion compared to a gelding. Lots of thrills compared to a reliable workhorse. Don't take me wrong, I like both. But I love my bold up swept blades.

On a knife with a lot of belly I like to have a sharp point because it's helpful for making that initial puncture needed for a good draw cut.

Does it need a "purpose"? I like the way it looks, and if it so happens to prove useful, then hooray.

This line of reasoning is how certain idiots in the UK want all knives to not have sharpened tips. If something I fear doesn't have a purpose that I agree with, we'll use the power of the state to forcefully ban it.

Back