What's the worst thing your knife has been used for?

Most of my working time has been spent in machine shops. I've used my knives for everything from cutting open boxes or bags of parts to digging metal slivers out of my hands. Nothing out of the ordinary. Some years ago I made a career change from being a machinist to being a sheriff's deputy. I started carrying one or the other of my Buck 110's on my duty belt and a folder clipped to my back pocket. That setup suits about anything I could run into I believe.

One day at the station, a female deputy asked to borrow one of my knives. I've known her since my first day there and she's very trustworthy so I got the Buck out of it's sheath and handed it to her. She took off to use it for something. Before our shift started she returned it and back into the sheath it went without a thought. Later in the day we were having lunch and somebody had put a bowl of cherries out for dessert. I had already used my Buck for cutting my sandwich and it was laying on the table so it got used as a fork for the handful of cold cherries that I ate. A quick wipe with a napkin and back into the sheath to finish the day.

The next day before our shift started she again asked for my knife and once again I handed her the Buck and she disappeared into an office. After conversing with a few other guys we were about to begin our work day but the girl and my knife were nowhere to be found. I headed into the office she had went into to get my knife back and she had her boot off digging at something in her foot with it :eek:

She explained that on our day off she had got a thorn in her foot because she hates wearing shoes and always goes barefoot at home. She went on to say that she had got half of it out the day before when she'd borrowed the Buck but didn't finish. I explained that I had used the knife the previous day while having lunch, even going so far as using it as a fork. Through her laughter, she said she had wiped the blood off of my blade on her pants leg so not to worry. She got a good laugh out of this needless to say. That is, until I pulled the rest of the thorn out of her foot. Our inside joke is that we're now blood brother and sister. I gifted her a knife of her own after that.

Another time I was asked for my knife so a different coworker could cut open a baggie of drugs. What he didn't say was where exactly on the arrested person the baggie was found. Needless to say after he told me, that knife went into an evidence bag until I could get home and soak it in bleach. Suffice to say, that was not a job for alcohol! One day I was asked for my knife and I had the good sense to ask what it was needed for, and when the reply was "this screw needs tightened up", I told him to go find himself a screwdriver.

I have a Smith&Wesson knife I sometimes carried on the job. I got it used and very cheap, i cleaned it up and sharpened it. At some point I had polished it quite a bit so it looked almost chrome plated. I once used that one to save a guy's life while on duty. I don't know if I'd be permitted to tell the story here so I'll refrain. I haven't carried the knife since and I won't part with it even though the story had a happy ending for all involved. I see it kind of as a good luck charm now and it rides in the glove compartment.

I'm curious what y'alls knives have went through as far as stuff like this goes. I love reading people's knife stories on here.
Hardest thing I ever did with a knife was for coup de gras .

Nor so much hard on the knife as me .

I was at a gun show and bought a CRKT Drifter when they came out. Pretty spiffy little knife and Ike used it a lot. One day I was doing a roof repair and had a helper with me that needed to borrow my knife. I went down to get something out of the truck and when I came back he just about finished ripping out all of the caulk and loose mortar in the chimney (brick) repair area... with my knife. It was really chewed up.

The worst I treated one of my own knives was my Rat 1. I was up on a second-story roof that was so steep I couldn't bear the thought of climbing down to get and utility knife out of my truck. I needed to trim some shingles so I pulled the Rat 1 out, apologized to it and started cutting away on the asphalt shingles along the trim lines. I tore up almost the entire edge and had it covered with asphalt cement by the time I finished. I was so disgusted I threw it off the 2nd story roof and it bounced in the yard and clattered across the sidewalk.

I put it in the back of the truck, took it home and put it in some gas to sit overnight. Wiped it down the next day, sprayed it off with brake cleaner, put a couple of dots of 3n1 on the pivot, and spend some serious time putting an edge back on it.

Good as new when finished!

Robert

Last edited:
I once used a buck 110 as a hammer to fix the door facing of a Sunday school classroom . Used a Kershaw thermite to dig a whole to plant a rose. It went from a spanto tip to no tip. Not intended to stab rocks with lol

I had a Emerson journeyman that I used as a work knife. After a year of ownership I finally learned how to sharpen it properly. I took it to work with pride in hand because of how sharp I had gotten it. I cut the caulking around a window stool and then went to pry it out. Snap!!!my beloved Journeyman broke in two. I grabbed a prybar still couldn’t remove the window stool. I then found the screws that were holding it down.

Back