What's up at SDS Knifeworks

It is a difficult balance for sure. I've watched as a few other makers on here have gone through a similar learning curve. I'm a bit slow I guess. I should have paid more attention to their threads on this topic. My kids are a lot more important than these knives.

I got the textured G10 handle idea from Bill Coye, a maker in N.E. Oklahoma. I really like the way it turned out and will likely use it again. It wouldn't be my first choice on a hunting knife but if you knew the guy this knife is for you would understand why I chose it.

The forged blade was fun. I keep thinking of it as a bullnose skinner. I'm going to try to make some a little thinner and keep the forge finish.

I really like the forge finished look and am really excited that I can now do this. I'll have to look for some green hemp, or maybe find some neutral hemp and dye it.

I hope that it doesn't look too much like Rick's knives but I'm sure it's obvious that his knives influenced me a great deal.

I hope to be around for awhile so whenever your ready for a new knife give me a shout.

SDS

Well today was spent shaping handles. I have one scandi ground knife at a friends house getting a piece of allthread welded to the tang. I'll post up more pictures of that one in it's own thread.

Here is what I worked on today. I get one day every other week that is devoted only to knifemaking....well, most of that day anyway. I get about 6-8 hours to spend on knives. I love this day. It's my little escape. I put on earphones and take a thermos of coffee to the shop and don't stop until I have to pick my son up from school.

I'll shut up now so you can take a look..............

029-3.jpg

Group shot

021-3.jpg

Two special orders for a customer. 3/16" D2 to his design.

022-2.jpg

In hand.

026-3.jpg

Maple burl with D2 drop point.

025-2.jpg

Ebony with D2 drop point.

SDS

Here are a couple of small forged knives. I was asked to create a small knife along these lines. Still a bit of work left to do on these.

030-2.jpg

031-2.jpg

Sheepsfoot blade, 1084 steel.

032-3.jpg

More 1084, not sure what you'd call this blade shape.

SDS

What's up, brother?

Let's see some new work. I just got done playing around with the orange handled camp blade from you. I love that knife, man. I got Richard J to put a convex edge on it and that steel holds and edge FOREVER. I scrubbed the blade down a bit with a coarse sponge and it's looking pretty cool. I'll post some more pics. It's looking more and more loved!!!

Got anything new in the works?

Myright, I haven't been taking many pictures lately. I have several that have been mailed/delivered but I am not very good at remembering to take the camera to the shop.

I'll try to do a better job of getting some pictures on here. I have been making knives, I promise..........I just haven't been getting them on here.

SDS

Good to hear you are still in the shop and pumping some blades out!

Well I'm still steadily making steel dust in the shop. Unfortunately I don't often remember to get pictures. Here is one I'm about done with.

It is D2 with a stabilized curly oak handle.

001-5.jpg

002-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

SDS

Nice work! I like the pin placement and the combination of different styles of pins. Nice color choice on the handle as well!

Back