What's with these Youtube knife review videos?

As a newbie to collecting I’ve learned a lot from some of these videos, but far too many Youtubers (makes ‘em sound like potatoes) feel they have to entertain us. They sing, crack jokes, go off on tangents, constantly repeat themselves, and generally waste most of the video on nonsense that doesn’t have anything to do with the subject.

If I wanted to watch that crap, I’d watch Good Morning America, or some other such drivel.

As a newbie to collecting I’ve learned a lot from some of these videos, but far too many Youtubers (makes ‘em sound like potatoes) feel they have to entertain us. They sing, crack jokes, go off on tangents, constantly repeat themselves, and generally waste most of the video on nonsense that doesn’t have anything to do with the subject.

If I wanted to watch that crap, I’d watch Good Morning America, or some other such drivel.

Big part of youtube blogging is entertainment, without that no views, no ads, no money. entertainment sells. If you want it without entertainment then just read an article online...

I'm always amused that everyone thinks there is money in YouTube. If YouTube actually made anyone money, Patreon accounts would not be needed.

As to the quality; Yes, all YouTubers suck, all forums suck, all new knives suck, all heat treats suck, my truck broke down, my dog died and my wife left me...

That would be no problem if it was entertaining, but most of it isn’t.

If I can learn something about the knives I’m interested in, I’ll be entertained. I guess my biggest problem videos are the ones where the guy doesn’t have a script and constantly repeats himself trying to think of something to say.

Just a couple of hours ago I ran across a long video, maybe 1:15 or so, about collecting Spydercos and what made a knife collectible. I was really looking forward to learning something, but after half an hour all I’d learned was that he could stretch 3 minutes of solid info into a half an hour, so I gave up.

But that’s just me.

Agreed, we all suck. :D

BUT, if you find that there's no channel that's doing the things you want to see done, this is your perfect opportunity to start your own, and as Banter247 said, be the change you want to see in the world.
Actually, I haven’t seen Banters channel yet, I’ll have to look for it, but your channel is my favorite. It’s the only one I’m subscribed to so far, and I’ve made some purchases based on your reviews. You actually ARE entertaining, but your reviews are also packed with information and you don’t waste time. It’s obvious you’ve planned out in advance what you want to say. </asskissing> :D

Maybe one day I’ll know enough about knives to talk about them with authority, but until then I depend on you guys to teach me. I just watched some very frustrating videos today so I had to chime in.

Edit: I just found Banter 247’s channel, now I’m subscribed to 2 channels.

Big part of youtube blogging is entertainment, without that no views, no ads, no money. entertainment sells. If you want it without entertainment then just read an article online...

Hmmmm...bags of Youtube knife review channel money, you say...

ouzDK9b.gif

"Mad Science Forge sword and knife reviews." It does have a nice ring to it.

Screw making swords. I'm a knife reviewer now.

Last edited:
I don't mind well organized and descriptive videos since I don't like mail order and return issues. However, I tend to get turned off by some of their opinions which seem to be more of a desk jockey's impressions, and most of all when a reviewer puts down other knives to compare them to but they can't keep their hands off the knives and end up blocking one or the other the entire time they are comparing them.

Agreed, we all suck...

^ This guy has one of the better review channels. He has a system that works and any silliness tends to come as a bonus to the analysis. Speaking of singing reviewers, Nick Shabazz did a song once and it was actually quite good. Sadly, I can't remember the title and can't find a link.

Another reviewer who gets creative while providing solid videos is Pete at Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors.

Agreed, we all suck. :D

BUT, if you find that there's no channel that's doing the things you want to see done, this is your perfect opportunity to start your own, and as Banter247 said, be the change you want to see in the world.

Nick...you should review the 0462...it is giant and murdery. It also is smoother
than the 0452 because they used a steel washer on the Ti side so instead of running
on ti the bearings run on steel. Mine fell shut out of the box! I have a 0470 coming too.
It has the same improvement the 0462 has...both have a lot of milling on the ti
to reduce weight as well.
I really enjoy your channel BTW. Great job!

I think people get confused about the difference between a company's detailed product video that is professionally shot, edited and marketed, and young Johnny's selfie video of himself getting a new toy.

YouTube isn't supposed to be the library of congress cataloging the treasures of humanity, it's mostly about a self obsessed generation that doesn't think the mirror really catches their whole essence and they just need more cowbell. Enjoy these videos or don't, but don't go away feeling hurt or disappointed because the "hot knife girl" video review of the tactical tomahawk didn't have a script...

My problem with youtube knife videos and most youtube videos in general is they take to long to get to the point. You have to suffer thru long intros and fluff before they get to the nitty gritty. Some are better than others but they all seem to do it.

I'm always amused that everyone thinks there is money in YouTube. If YouTube actually made anyone money, Patreon accounts would not be needed.

As to the quality; Yes, all YouTubers suck, all forums suck, all new knives suck, all heat treats suck, my truck broke down, my dog died and my wife left me...
you have a budding career in country & blues music ; )

Advanced Knife Bro channel for the win. As far as long videos, I think they have to be 10+ minutes to get that sweet sweet ad revenue.

Hadn't seen his until this thread mentioned him a couple of times. I really like his videos.

Then...I see that he apparently loves to favorably review Ganzo knives. I'm not interested in supporting someone who promotes companies that harm the industry. So, no Knife Bro for me.

Like I recently said in the thread that I started most of these night reviews are simply a waste of time. A half an hour of blah blah blah, and no good information. I just want them to show me the knife and show me how it works. I want to see it actually doing things and taking a 3 inch blade and chopping down a giant oak tree is not one of them.

Do 75% of people doing yt reviews on anything seem like sad lonely people seeking attention and recognition? Yes.

Are many reviews WAY to lengthy and get completely off topic? Yes.

Do I appreciate many of these stupid vids so I might know a Lil more about what I'm getting or at least can get a better look at it without having to go to store or buying online to find out don't like something when see irl? Yes

I appreciate many yt reviews on things that aren't very interesting in the least, like fans, printers, furniture, ect. Too my surprise, somebody made a review on almost everything, showing it from all angles, which was thankful for. So I say make reviews of anything and everything your Lil heart desires and wanna waste your precious life and time on, reviewers. Appreciate it.

I watch quite a few and the data from all tend to get me the info I was seeking. Would be nice if could find one that would cover the things I am looking for, but sadly not a single one I have found cover all the bases for me. Metal Effort is the closest for me personally.

And I often get more from the comments folks make to the videos than the actual videos themselves.

As for not picks with em, I only get irritated with glaring inconsistencies. In one review they totally pass over something that is very obvious yet trash it on another knife with the exact same issue or feature.

And lastly, they have saved me a lot of money. For instance, was considering the GM Ace Ti Biblio that came out this past week but after finally finding someone who actually covered it I came across one who commented on how the lockbar tension was very strong. Not a fan of that at all, so that one comment save me money.

Back