What's your Cold Steel EDC today?

Nothing better than a Deep Blue accompanied by some Cold Steel.

cxHrKm9h.jpg

Nice blade.
How do you like the 4 Max as compared to the 4 Max Scout. Is the materials difference worth the extra cost? Is the fit and finish on the 4 Max better than that on the Scout?
I ve been thinking about the 4 Max for some time, but the weight keeps me from buying. Plus, I keep thinking what role will the 4Max fill that isn t already filled by my Recon 1? Or my SR1?
I not into safe queens anymore. If they weren t so scarce, I wouldn t even be considering one now.

I m carrying my American Lawman today, after deciding between it and the Ultimate Hunter.

whp:

I would be untruthful, if I said the Scout was in the same league as the 4 Max. One is basically a luxury-version, and I use that term very generally, since the 4 Max is about the toughest blade I own. The upscale materials make it even stronger: G10 scales, titanium-liners, and CPM-20CV alloy steel. That being stated: the Scout is equally-as-strong, at a lower price-point and well thought-out. Its an alternative for people to experience owning a "4 Max" at an affordable price. Since I routinely carry large 'heavier' folders, the weight-aspect is a non-issue to me. Let's face-it; all knives cut things, they are just made in different configs to sell, and please the market. Usually, when Cold Steel retires a model they don't come-back (e.g., Talwar, Hatamoto, and Black Rhino).

Further, I am a user and a collector like most knife-people. Plus, I'm a stickler for high-quality, and value-for-the-dollar. Which is probably unmatched by Cold Steel's Scout. You can find them most places for a shade under a hundred dollars. Both versions of this model will handle any cutting-task I throw at them. As with most Cold Steel blades, you can bet-your-life-on-them too!

As a case-in-point, Benchmade has just 'retired' the Adamas automatic. I have the tan-version, and have always wanted the black G-10 offering. So I snatched one-up last night online. Its the strongest auto-knife I have ever owned! These routinely sell for in-and-around $250 bucks, but I had-to-have-it! I view blades from a weapons first perspective, which is why; I try to get the best. I'm glad I purchased two ZT 0300 'Tigers' when they were available a few years back. Now they've been retired for quite awhile too.

I can't advise you on how to spend your hard-earned cash. Some things just have an esoteric-value to the person that wants it. Are you someone like that? I don't know. All I can say, is when they're gone, they're gone. I have been indecisive in the past about buying certain things, and then kicked myself for not getting it, when I had the chance. Wish I had grabbed a SOG Fatcat when they were out.

In conclusion, I don't prefer one version of the blade over the other. But the mighty 4 Max is in a class by itself. When you handle one, you'll know and feel the difference. If you think it will be an expensive 'pink elephant' then pass-it-by. This is the best counsel I can give on this subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: whp
Back