1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What's your Cold Steel EDC today?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by BMCGear, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    Three great blades! Great picture, love the Demko custom.

2. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    IMG_20201015_185444_714.jpg

3. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    Nothing better than a Deep Blue accompanied by some Cold Steel.

[​IMG]

4. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
  5. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nephron likes this.
  6. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

razorburn, whp, Weiss and 3 others like this.
  7. Chris_Texas

Chris_Texas

Apr 2, 2020
    Today will be a 6" TiLite and a clip point Recon1.

8. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    Hold Out III.

whp likes this.
  9. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

razorburn and nephron like this.
  10. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Nice.
    Understated, useful blade.

nephron likes this.
  11. razorburn

Mar 26, 2007
    [​IMG]

TheBorg, Weiss, nephron and 1 other person like this.
  12. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    It satisfies the sgian-dubh hankering in my smattering of Scottish genes.

13. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    A two-fer
    Clearing some brush today. The Pocket Bushman got more use than the Grik.
    [​IMG]

14. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

oxman198, razorburn and nephron like this.
  15. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

16. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

17. razorburn

Mar 26, 2007
    [​IMG]

TheBorg and Zephyr One/Zero like this.
  18. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

razorburn likes this.
  19. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Nice blade.
    How do you like the 4 Max as compared to the 4 Max Scout. Is the materials difference worth the extra cost? Is the fit and finish on the 4 Max better than that on the Scout?
    I ve been thinking about the 4 Max for some time, but the weight keeps me from buying. Plus, I keep thinking what role will the 4Max fill that isn t already filled by my Recon 1? Or my SR1?
    I not into safe queens anymore. If they weren t so scarce, I wouldn t even be considering one now.

I m carrying my American Lawman today, after deciding between it and the Ultimate Hunter.

20. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    whp:

I would be untruthful, if I said the Scout was in the same league as the 4 Max. One is basically a luxury-version, and I use that term very generally, since the 4 Max is about the toughest blade I own. The upscale materials make it even stronger: G10 scales, titanium-liners, and CPM-20CV alloy steel. That being stated: the Scout is equally-as-strong, at a lower price-point and well thought-out. Its an alternative for people to experience owning a "4 Max" at an affordable price. Since I routinely carry large 'heavier' folders, the weight-aspect is a non-issue to me. Let's face-it; all knives cut things, they are just made in different configs to sell, and please the market. Usually, when Cold Steel retires a model they don't come-back (e.g., Talwar, Hatamoto, and Black Rhino).

Further, I am a user and a collector like most knife-people. Plus, I'm a stickler for high-quality, and value-for-the-dollar. Which is probably unmatched by Cold Steel's Scout. You can find them most places for a shade under a hundred dollars. Both versions of this model will handle any cutting-task I throw at them. As with most Cold Steel blades, you can bet-your-life-on-them too!

As a case-in-point, Benchmade has just 'retired' the Adamas automatic. I have the tan-version, and have always wanted the black G-10 offering. So I snatched one-up last night online. Its the strongest auto-knife I have ever owned! These routinely sell for in-and-around $250 bucks, but I had-to-have-it! I view blades from a weapons first perspective, which is why; I try to get the best. I'm glad I purchased two ZT 0300 'Tigers' when they were available a few years back. Now they've been retired for quite awhile too.

I can't advise you on how to spend your hard-earned cash. Some things just have an esoteric-value to the person that wants it. Are you someone like that? I don't know. All I can say, is when they're gone, they're gone. I have been indecisive in the past about buying certain things, and then kicked myself for not getting it, when I had the chance. Wish I had grabbed a SOG Fatcat when they were out.

In conclusion, I don't prefer one version of the blade over the other. But the mighty 4 Max is in a class by itself. When you handle one, you'll know and feel the difference. If you think it will be an expensive 'pink elephant' then pass-it-by. This is the best counsel I can give on this subject.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    whp likes this.