What's your Cold Steel EDC today?

Goo
whp:

I would be untruthful, if I said the Scout was in the same league as the 4 Max. One is basically a luxury-version, and I use that term very generally, since the 4 Max is about the toughest blade I own. The upscale materials make it even stronger: G10 scales, titanium-liners, and CPM-20CV alloy steel. That being stated: the Scout is equally-as-strong, at a lower price-point and well thought-out. Its an alternative for people to experience owning a "4 Max" at an affordable price. Since I routinely carry large 'heavier' folders, the weight-aspect is a non-issue to me. Let's face-it; all knives cut things, they are just made in different configs to sell, and please the market. Usually, when Cold Steel retires a model they don't come-back (e.g., Talwar, Hatamoto, and Black Rhino).

Further, I am a user and a collector like most knife-people. Plus, I'm a stickler for high-quality, and value-for-the-dollar. Which is probably unmatched by Cold Steel's Scout. You can find them most places for a shade under a hundred dollars. Both versions of this model will handle any cutting-task I throw at them. As with most Cold Steel blades, you can bet-your-life-on-them too!

As a case-in-point, Benchmade has just 'retired' the Adamas automatic. I have the tan-version, and have always wanted the black G-10 offering. So I snatched one-up last night online. Its the strongest auto-knife I have ever owned! These routinely sell for in-and-around $250 bucks, but I had-to-have-it! I view blades from a weapons first perspective, which is why; I try to get the best. I'm glad I purchased two ZT 0300 'Tigers' when they were available a few years back. Now they've been retired for quite awhile too.

I can't advise you on how to spend your hard-earned cash. Some things just have an esoteric-value to the person that wants it. Are you someone like that? I don't know. All I can say, is when they're gone, they're gone. I have been indecisive in the past about buying certain things, and then kicked myself for not getting it, when I had the chance. Wish I had grabbed a SOG Fatcat when they were out.

In conclusion, I don't prefer one version of the blade over the other. But the mighty 4 Max is in a class by itself. When you handle one, you'll know and feel the difference. If you think it will be an expensive 'pink elephant' then pass-it-by. This is the best counsel I can give on this subject.
Good information, and I appreciate your perspective.

When I first saw the introduction of the 4 max Scout I looked at the materials and thought “what does this knife do that I can t do with my large Voyager, and save 4-5 oz of weight?” And the Voyager has been a very strong, durable knife in my experience. Now I m thinking the same thing about the 4 Max and one of my Recon1 s. I suppose I m not so much a collector any more, and now mainly a user. And there is nothing I use a folder for that my Recon 1 can t handle.
I greatly appreciate bargains in knives , which is one thing that attracts me to Cold Steel. And the 4Max is probably the closest I would ever get to owning a custom blade.

I must admit the increasing scarcity of the 4 Max is somewhat alluring. But as of now, I think I ll pass. I think. !!

dMHnRmFh.jpg

I recently picked up a couple o' Cold Steel knives just for kicks: a large Voyager (amazing bang-for-buck folder, IMO) and an American Lawman in S35VN--very happy with both. Carrying the Lawman today.

cslawman.jpg

I am pleasantly surprised by the Lawman. I thought it might be similar to the Spyderco Native, where you're kinda forced to use the choil for a full grip. I'm finding the Lawman equally comfortable choked-up or no. The knife is a lot thinner than I'd imagined; nice and slicey. The only nit-pick I have is the blade coating--no big deal though. Overall, nicer knife than I thought it would be... :cool::thumbsup:

I carried the same Recon 1 today that I posted Friday. Actually I carried it everyday since I've gotten it. It's such a solid knife. I had a Recon 1 a while back that I wish I would have kept so this one is good to have back.

Here's a pic of my Cold Steel daily carry, and how I carry them.

Ti-lite 4 stuck in a section of bicycle inner tube looped on my belt. The grip and stretch of the inner tube holds the knife securely but allows easy access by just grabbing and pulling. I like carrying it this way because I can access it easily with either hand.

The Ti-lite 4 has been modified. Both guard spurs removed, I ditched the thumbstud, replaced the plastic back spacer with an aluminum one, and ground away the back portion on the "fishtail" butt of the knife (my hands didn't like it).

The other knife is a Ti-lite 6 carried in an underarm shoulder rig that I originally made many years ago to carry fixed-blades, but it accommodates a variety of carry options.

The Ti-lite 6 has been modified as well, the rear guard spur has been removed (the one that sticks out when the knife is closed), I ditched the thumbstud, replaced the plastic back spacer with an aluminum one, added 3 3-56 screws and nuts to more tightly compress the liners and back spacer together (they're hidden under the stock handle scales), and I coated the handle with a thick layer of Plastidip for a rubberized grip.

My only mode of transportation are motorcycles, and I always wear a jacket when I go out, so my knives are always concealed from public view.

AmIJGph.jpg

My new to me, Ozark Hunter. Blade had some patina, but still carried the factory edge when I got it. No blade play and solid lockup. Love the Carbon V steel, it's a fantastic slicer!
Bob

My new to me, Ozark Hunter. Blade had some patina, but still carried the factory edge when I got it. No blade play and solid lockup. Love the Carbon V steel, it's a fantastic slicer!
Bob

Recon 1 (with DLC coating), Mini AK - 47, Spartan, Pro Lite Clip Point, American Lawman, Voyager, it varies from day to day, as I rotate my blades, but I usually have is the Recon 1 or Voyager Tanto.

Had the medium and the large Twistmasters on the Lansky today - wow I love that Carbon V steel! Have a Ranch Boss 2 on my belt now, really an excellent knife.
Bob

I've been carrying my new Recon 1 spearpoint since I got it a few days ago. I read where a lot of folks thought the 4 Max Scout was too large for EDC. I thought, "Heck... I'm a big guy. I don't mind carrying a ZT301 so I bet the 4 Max would be OK to carry. I'll give it a try."

Today, the 4 Max Scout showed up in my mailbox. It's freaking huge. And heavy. I love it, but I don't know how often I'll be carrying it! :)

Back