What's your favorite concealed carry gun?

Krav

Gold Member
I was just curious, I'm getting my test done nov, 21st, 22nd. So I've been looking at compact 9mm pistols.

I figured I'd get what I mostly shoot, which is 9mm. I currently own glock 17, H&k vp9, CZ 75 sp01 tactical all 9 mm.

I'm pretty sure I want to carry inside the waist band. I've looked at glock 26, sig p938, ruger lc9

Springfield XDs, M&P shield, H&k usp compact.

I'd like to keep things under $800. I'm 5/8 180# so I was looking for something that wouldn't print much.
I'd love to carry G19 but I think it's a tad big, maybe not? Of course I'd like the magazines to hold as much as possible, but I'd lose out on thinness.

Just wanted to see what your experience is in this subject.

Kind regards
Krav

Last edited:
Kahr P9. Have carried daily for more than a decade now. Still love it.

Glock 26 and 19 are the same width basically. Just difference in barrel and mag length. Imo width makes a bigger difference than length of handle. I'm pretty thin tho. I have an xds and a g19 that rotate carry time. Xds gets carried a lot more because it disappears!

I have a g19, beretta 92fs compact, kel tec pf9 and Kahr cw9. The Kahr is hands down the most comfortable both is size, ease of concealment and still large enough to comfortably hold and shoot well.

Glock 26 and 19 are the same width basically. Just difference in barrel and mag length. Imo width makes a bigger difference than length of handle. I'm pretty thin tho. I have an xds and a g19 that rotate carry time. Xds gets carried a lot more because it disappears!

I am attracted to the XDs but I never fired one. I'm unsure about that saftey mechanism on the back? I may not even notice it?

I have a g19, beretta 92fs compact, kel tec pf9 and Kahr cw9. The Kahr is hands down the most comfortable both is size, ease of concealment and still large enough to comfortably hold and shoot well.

That is a great point. 👍. I plan one keeping it stock, probably won't do any up grade in less I really hate the sites, and using it at the range.

I've seen this pistol at gander mountain I believe but never asked to handle it. Maybe I will next time.

I carried IWB for maybe 15 years, and then got sick of it when I got fat and grumpy.

So I switched to pocket carry 10 years ago, and now I hear Angels singing.

My pocket carry favorites, in approximate order (each in the appropriate size Uncle Mike's pocket holster):

- Glock 43
- S&W 442
- Kel-tec PF9
- Kahr PM9
- Ruger LCP
- Glock 26 (chunky, but doable in baggy pants; the upside is the extra 17 round mag you can bring with it)
- Ruger SP-101 (heavy, but doable in baggy pants)

Were I to do IWB or belt carry again (which is never), it would be a Glock. I own about 11 of them. I have tried Alien Gear belt holsters, which are sorta cool, but now anything on my belt feels like I'm carrying a toaster oven. Pocket carry for me, please. All day, every day.

I am attracted to the XDs but I never fired one. I'm unsure about that saftey mechanism on the back? I may not even notice it?

Most people like it. I'm indifferent to it. I've never had an issue with it no depressing when I grip it. It's an added safety without having to flip a safety switch. I'll never carry a gun that has a manual safety. You won't notice it's on there. It can give you peace of mind while holstering. I carry appendix and it's never bothered me to carry a Glock there but it makes some people nervous. Xds is a fantastic single stack. I can't imagine ever replacing it and I've shot or handled most single stacks out there.

Also Glock stock sights suck. Upgrades are a must.

I go between a VP9 & Glock 43. They're night and day as far as size is concerned but I can carry both easily. You just have to find the right holster/belt/holster position combo for you and you'll be able to carry almost any firearm. I carried a Glock 17 & a Sig P320 FS with zero issues before I got my VP9. All carried IWB 3-4 o'clock.

I carry this. Have you checked out the H&K P30SK ?
FB_IMG_1440894001574_zps5iesa82l.jpg

I carried IWB for maybe 15 years, and then got sick of it when I got fat and grumpy.

So I switched to pocket carry 10 years ago, and now I hear Angels singing.

My pocket carry favorites, in approximate order (each in the appropriate size Uncle Mike's pocket holster):

- Glock 43
- S&W 442
- Kel-tec PF9
- Kahr PM9
- Ruger LCP
- Glock 26 (chunky, but doable in baggy pants; the upside is the extra 17 round mag you can bring with it)
- Ruger SP-101 (heavy, but doable in baggy pants)

Were I to do IWB or belt carry again (which is never), it would be a Glock. I own about 11 of them. I have tried Alien Gear belt holsters, which are sorta cool, but now anything on my belt feels like I'm carrying a toaster oven. Pocket carry for me, please. All day, every day.

Pocket carry is a possibility, but I keep my big stupid I phone in my right pocket, money clip in my left pocket.
I don't like wallets in my back pocket??? Or anything for that matter.

Most people like it. I'm indifferent to it. I've never had an issue with it no depressing when I grip it. It's an added safety without having to flip a safety switch. I'll never carry a gun that has a manual safety. You won't notice it's on there. It can give you peace of mind while holstering. I carry appendix and it's never bothered me to carry a Glock there but it makes some people nervous. Xds is a fantastic single stack. I can't imagine ever replacing it and I've shot or handled most single stacks out there.

Also Glock stock sights suck. Upgrades are a must.

Yes they aren't the best. I put meprolights night sites on my 17

I carry this. Have you checked out the H&K P30SK ?
FB_IMG_1440894001574_zps5iesa82l.jpg

I really like H&k, at the range I shoot at he was showing me a h&k not sure which model thou? I was in a rush.lol
I'm using my vp9 for the test👍

I'll probably stay away from anything with a manual saftey since I don't practice with that right at the moment.

Pocket carry is a possibility, but I keep my big stupid I phone in my right pocket, money clip in my left pocket.
I don't like wallets in my back pocket??? Or anything for that matter.

Yeah, with pocket carry you have to dedicate your strong side front pocket to the gun and holster, and nothing else. Ever. Ever.

My prescription:

Smallish pistol or revolver in your strong side front pocket. You'll soon get used to the feeling, and then forget its there. Phone on the belt - Powernoodle style. I use a Maxpedition holster, but whatevs. Keys, etc in left front. Folding knife clipped in left front pocket. Yeah, that's weak side for a righty, but you get totally used to it. Some slight compromises have to be made if you want to carry a gun. Then get a super thin wallet from bigskinny.com, and carry it in a back pocket like a big boy. :) I guess you could try it in the left front (if you are a righty), but that's of course your call. I carry one or two lights as well, but that's again up to you. Just something to consider.

Seriously, it works. And there are many upsides to pocket carry. When hot chicks hug you just out of the blue, they don't get a handful of belt holster. You never have to worry about cover garments or concealment. You never print under a t-shirt, because there is nothing there to print. You can stand there looking all innocent while your hand is on your pistol, and no one knows the diff. On and on.

Every system entails compromise. You lose capacity, grip length and sight radius with pocket guns. But there are some serious upsides too. Rock on.

I switch off between a PM9 and p250 iwb 5:00. I have them both in High Noon holsters, split decision tuckable. With a solid belt and not a skin tight shirt I have no real problems with printing. My spare mag(owb) for the Sig is really the only thing that prints on occasion with a smaller shirt. That's with a fixed blade carried at the small of back for a left hand draw not printing either. Getting out of the car or bending over is really the only time it'll print or my shirt tucks a little behind the handle.

Yeah, with pocket carry you have to dedicate your strong side front pocket to the gun and holster, and nothing else. Ever. Ever.

My prescription:

Smallish pistol or revolver in your strong side front pocket. You'll soon get used to the feeling, and then forget its there. Phone on the belt - Powernoodle style. I use a Maxpedition holster, but whatevs. Keys, etc in left front. Folding knife clipped in left front pocket. Yeah, that's weak side for a righty, but you get totally used to it. Some slight compromises have to be made if you want to carry a gun. Then get a super thin wallet from bigskinny.com, and carry it in a back pocket like a big boy. :) I guess you could try it in the left front (if you are a righty), but that's of course your call. I carry one or two lights as well, but that's again up to you. Just something to consider.

Seriously, it works. And there are many upsides to pocket carry. When hot chicks hug you just out of the blue, they don't get a handful of belt holster. You never have to worry about cover garments or concealment. You never print under a t-shirt, because there is nothing there to print. You can stand there looking all innocent while your hand is on your pistol, and no one knows the diff. On and on.

Every system entails compromise. You lose capacity, grip length and sight radius with pocket guns. But there are some serious upsides too. Rock on.

Exactly why I also like pocket carry.

Back