What's your unicorn!?

Spyderco Slysz Rat

12271480.jpg

1967 Shelby GT 500

Gone in 60 Seconds reference if you don't get it. But in all honesty I would say this last bladeforums knife the buck 301 with 2 blades in cpm-154 the more I think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBW
I don’t have many but a CLOUD CUTTER is up there

This will be remedied very soon though ;)

CPK Shiv! Had one in A2 but during a moment traded it for a CPK Light chopper in antique micarta, I thought I got the better end of the deal. Oh well someday.

This is the kind of dirty trick that Optics Planet is famous for. They advertised a ZT 0452Blu on their website at a dynamite price, with delivery alleged to be in a couple weeks, so I ordered one. They then pushed the estimated delivery time back--first to a few weeks, then to a couple months and then further and further and further--until it was unknown, and then they finally removed the item from their dishonest website. They cancelled out the “on hold” PayPal payment they had in place from me without ever notifying me they’d done so. When I sent them messages via their website, they never responded to me. When I sent them direct email questions, they never responded to me. When I called their 800-504-5897 tel# and asked for an explanation of why they’d treated me the way they had, they jerked me around and never game me a straight answer. When I asked them (by website message, direct email and telephone conversations) for the name and direct mail address of the President or CEO of their company so I could send him/her a letter asking for an explanation, they jerked me around even more and refused to provide the name/address I requested. In my personal experience, Optics Planet is the scum of the earth. They treated me in a fashion that could only be described as dishonest, dishonorable and utterly devoid of any form of integrity or credibility...

This was only the second time I've ever dealt with Optics Planet. Come to think of it, there was an issue with my first order as well. It wasn't a travesty like this time but it took forever and a day to ship. I won't be doing any more business with them.

R.J. Martin Q-36 for me. Since I occasionally get the Kershaw Groove some years back, which is mimics design of this knife. But it’s so rare and expensive (((

For me, it's the large Sebenza. Money is tight so right now I can't afford to drop the coin on one.

Reactions: BBW
Currently, a Brian Efros Hustle or Jam. I'm also pining for a Eustler DUK.

Be careful the ones I have come across have all been quite poorly made. Beautiful awesome design but very much like owning an extremely cool but extremely finnicky foreign gun.

That’s why he never answers anyones emails because the guy probably gets nothing but a mountain of repair requests.

Usually there is one way the knife goes together that it functions well. Things like the rotation of the pivot barrel and standoffs affect the fit because the knife is built by hand and fit by hand. Actually alot of custom knives are like this.

Gareth has improved a lot in the last 2 years, having his brother helping out has made a huge difference.
He doesn't do repairs, at least nobody I know that owns one has bothered to send in, unless it was for a major change. Basically, sending anything to SA is an iffy proposition, I've been told by one maker not to. If you put something in a box, it's a target and will be stolen. So, we always wait until they come out to Blade or the Gathering to get any tweaks or repairs. If they can't do it - then they'll take back and DHL it. That's the other thing, you're looking at $60 easy shipping - more going that way. My dealings with Gareth have always been ok, but TBH, he's rather scattered and doesn't run his shop like a business. I've heard all kinds of stories, hard to separate fact from fiction - but some come from good sources. I think he only makes as many as he feels like to pay be bills TBH. Unless he's selling more directly than I'm aware of, which is possible.

Anyway, the quality of the knives I've gotten are absolutely first rate. I've had "name your price" and am currently considering a trade for some very tempting offers.

I sold one of my Shams to 7redi on YT, it was basically new in box, and I sold it to him for what I paid (he got to eat shipping to Austria or Switzerland or wherever it was). All I can say is if you have a chance to get a 2017 or later model, you won't be sorry. And, you can always turn it for what you paid. In the end, they're still only $600-800 knives though. Anything above that consider how much you want it. He uses CNC so they're not that handmade, but the blades are most definitely pure skill.

shamwari-5252.jpg

BTW, Blade Gallery is an excellent source for SA maker repairs, they're basically the USA source for Thorburn, Van Heerden, JDVD etc repairs. They've got parts directly from the makers.

Gareth has improved a lot in the last 2 years, having his brother helping out has made a huge difference.
He doesn't do repairs, at least nobody I know that owns one has bothered to send in, unless it was for a major change. Basically, sending anything to SA is an iffy proposition, I've been told by one maker not to. If you put something in a box, it's a target and will be stolen. So, we always wait until they come out to Blade or the Gathering to get any tweaks or repairs. If they can't do it - then they'll take back and DHL it. That's the other thing, you're looking at $60 easy shipping - more going that way. My dealings with Gareth have always been ok, but TBH, he's rather scattered and doesn't run his shop like a business. I've heard all kinds of stories, hard to separate fact from fiction - but some come from good sources. I think he only makes as many as he feels like to pay be bills TBH. Unless he's selling more directly than I'm aware of, which is possible.

Anyway, the quality of the knives I've gotten are absolutely first rate. I've had "name your price" and am currently considering a trade for some very tempting offers.

I sold one of my Shams to 7redi on YT, it was basically new in box, and I sold it to him for what I paid (he got to eat shipping to Austria or Switzerland or wherever it was). All I can say is if you have a chance to get a 2017 or later model, you won't be sorry. And, you can always turn it for what you paid. In the end, they're still only $600-800 knives though. Anything above that consider how much you want it. He uses CNC so they're not that handmade, but the blades are most definitely pure skill.

shamwari-5252.jpg

BTW, Blade Gallery is an excellent source for SA maker repairs, they're basically the USA source for Thorburn, Van Heerden, JDVD etc repairs. They've got parts directly from the makers.

So basically I need to score a newer one?

Thank you for the info. I am interested to hear GB uses cnc which I always had suspected.

I will definitely check out blade gallery.

I’m still lusting after a PM2, s30v with digicam scales. An absolute classic.

Unfortunately it’s just not in the budget. Hoping to one day be in a position to pick up a used one from the exchange, in the mean time I just settle for fondling one every time I go to my local brick and mortar knife shop.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
I want a GEC #46 Ironwood Whaler, but I don't want to pay the markup for GEC flipping craziness. It's more of a white whale than a unicorn, but it will have to do.

I snagged one..... and ended up catching an earlier all steel version too...

Fun knives.

I hesitated too long for the 98's. I'd like a camp knife 98 and a whittle 98...

Back