What's your woods bumming gun

What's your favorite gun to pack when you're camping, hiking or just hanging out in the woods?
I usually pack a 357 Blackhawk or Gsg 1911 in .22

Tough one. I've gone the Glock. 40 route, snubbie Ruger SP101 .357, and .22 Ruger Mark 1 7 inch target barrel. I have a 6.5 inch S&W .357 in stainless but don't woods bum with that gun, because it is my grandpa's gun I inherited.

I've even carried an AMT .30 carbine on a few camping/outdoor adventuers.

Depends upon what I may want to use it for!
RugerGP100 in .357 would be my main sidearm.
If Im just bumming and not hunting anything specific, the longgun is usually a bolt action Marlin rimfire, 780 in .22LR or XT-22M in .22WMR.

We cannot carry guns here in Spain unless you are hunting (and I don't) which means it is either a shotgun or a rifle in the propper caliber. Plinking is out of the question and we don't any amount of dangerous predator that would justify carrying for self defense.

I guess that the gun/s you carry are dicated by the purpose... and unless it is for small game hunting or plinking... I don't get how a .22 could be useful for self defense or hunting anything bigger. Care to elaborate? Legit question!

Mikel

You would be very surprised to find what can be killed with a well placed .22 round. Up to and including whitetail deer size animals.
Lots of people killed every year with a .22. Accidentally and intentionally.-KV

You would be very surprised to find what can be killed with a well placed .22 round. Up to and including whitetail deer size animals.
Lots of people killed every year with a .22. Accidentally and intentionally.-KV

Good to know! I have shot a few .22 guns at the range but never hunted with one. Do you guys have all year round open season for some critters so you haul your hunting guns in case you come across something that is worth it?

Mikel

Good to know! I have shot a few .22 guns at the range but never hunted with one. Do you guys have all year round open season for some critters so you haul your hunting guns in case you come across something that is worth it?

Mikel
Most game has hunting seasons so as not to interfere with mating and raising babies. Some nuisance animals have open season. I very rarely carry a hunting firearm unless hunting or just target shooting.
I usually carry a pistol of some sort when just hiking in the woods. A couple of run ins with rabid raccoons made me realize this is a good idea.--KV

Not allowed handguns here. My favorite for hiking camping is my browning lever in 308. No scope. Slim and easy to carry. Mainly for predators. My favorite hunting rifle is my CZ 12g over 308 w scope.

I’m not a hunter so it’s to protection from 2 & 4 legged predators or plinking/target.. My truck gun is a Charter Arms .38 SP revolver so that’s with use. One of my SKS Rifles 7.62 x 39. Remington 722 .22LR... S&W 66 .357 and or, Springfield 9mm Pistol.. it’s two to three by the time we make camp.

Depends on the time of year and location. If I’m in the woods in my AO I carry a shotgun. Mostly for the snakes.

mid I head north I will bring my AR or lever action .44 just in case I see a pig or two. We don’t have big dangerous man eating animals here.

Here in the Carolinas the most dangerous creature I'm likely to encounter is hornets and yellow jackets, and dangerous people.

RTgB4hB.jpg

Sometimes I swap barrels and shoot 357 Sig instead of .40S&W.

Mikel
22s are pretty versatile. But around here we have bears wolves and cougars. 22 would be not enough. I did get a 410 over 22 as a tree stand and hiking gun. 410 slug has some punch and the 22 for small game

Back