What's your woods bumming gun

Sometimes I do carry my Glock 43 9mm...

hiYQEmU.jpg

Depends on time of the year. Summertime, often a Smith Mod 36 in .38. In cowboy vernacular any snub nose is referred to as a "snake gun".

S7fZVlc.jpg

pKEHpwE.jpg

First round is snake shot. Light compact and out of the way when doing stuff. Here getting ready to head up into the high country to clean up a tweaker/methhead village we found on the ranch.

58izKaG.jpg

Lil Man helped drag it down the mountain till where we could get to it with a quad:

wnGNH25.jpg

VGR29H2.jpg

Other times of the year I switch around. I too am rather fond of a Glock 43:

92lmGhZ.jpg

Same reasons: light, compact and out of the way when active like wrestling calves:

tmcVs5b.jpg

Or working cattle horseback:

k4KAuG4.jpg

The wife recently replaced her Springfield EMP with a Sig 365:

zXeadKk.jpg

EUJIG0C.jpg

I've adopted the EMP and it has become one of my primaries, sweet gun and shoots like a laser.

Going to the back side of the ranch we often take a long gun. We call this area the "Big Country". There are no roads, lots of lions, tigers and bears back there. Ok no tigers, but really big hogs. Here the wife is holding My Guide Gun in .45-70 while I re-adjust my saddle after a very steep climb, we were back there fixing fence:

zrcF6hh.jpg

0ujbSyl.jpg

Lots of big country to cover and the gun varies but there always is one:

Eb7KB3C.jpg

Xp4AF2a.jpg

ulpKGwS.jpg

2vzYu3V.jpg

OYeWuNf.jpg

IZJ9gbx.jpg

BHfoNAm.jpg

Depends on time of the year. Summertime, often a Smith Mod 36 in .38. In cowboy vernacular any snub nose is referred to as a "snake gun".

S7fZVlc.jpg

pKEHpwE.jpg

First round is snake shot. Light compact and out of the way when doing stuff. Here getting ready to head up into the high country to clean up a tweaker/methhead village we found on the ranch.

58izKaG.jpg

Lil Man helped drag it down the mountain till where we could get to it with a quad:

wnGNH25.jpg

VGR29H2.jpg

Other times of the year I switch around. I too am rather fond of a Glock 43:

92lmGhZ.jpg

Same reasons: light, compact and out of the way when active like wrestling calves:

tmcVs5b.jpg

Or working cattle horseback:

k4KAuG4.jpg

The wife recently replaced her Springfield EMP with a Sig 365:

zXeadKk.jpg

EUJIG0C.jpg

I've adopted the EMP and it has become one of my primaries, sweet gun and shoots like a laser.

Going to the back side of the ranch we often take a long gun. We call this area the "Big Country". There are no roads, lots of lions, tigers and bears back there. Ok no tigers, but really big hogs. Here the wife is holding My Guide Gun in .45-70 while I re-adjust my saddle after a very steep climb, we were back there fixing fence:

zrcF6hh.jpg

0ujbSyl.jpg

Lots of big country to cover and the gun varies but there always is one:

Eb7KB3C.jpg

Xp4AF2a.jpg

ulpKGwS.jpg

2vzYu3V.jpg

OYeWuNf.jpg

IZJ9gbx.jpg

BHfoNAm.jpg
Horsewright Horsewright , this is California correct? what area? Not that I know much about California terrain. Looked like near the mountains. The 45-70 is powerful enough to stop anything? I do not know lot about guns, but I remember some reviewer ( the editor of black powder magazine, kind of a big guy) from YouTube had a Rolling block, was in 45-70, and I liked it!

Horsewright Horsewright , this is California correct? what area? Not that I know much about California terrain. Looked like near the mountains. The 45-70 is powerful enough to stop anything? I do not know lot about guns, but I remember some reviewer ( the editor of black powder magazine, kind of a big guy) from YouTube had a Rolling block, was in 45-70, and I liked it!

Yeah our ranch is the southern tip of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Loaded correctly (Buffalo Bore or Garett ammo) a modern .45-70 is powerful to handle anything on the planet and has. Some of the older actions like the Rolling Blocks and the Springfields can't handle the pressures of the hot ammo but even still, they toss a significant chunk of lead. I call that rifle my "bear gun." I use to do a lot of horse packing in some big bear country. It was comforting to have that cannon under your leg. Tell ya one of my favorite bumming around the ranch rifles is my new to me Browning 1895 in.30-06. I've only had it a little less than a year now. But it has made an excellent truck rifle.

shYiyBW.jpg

0APE4GT.jpg

Thanks for the info, I enjoy seeing your posts. And the knives are good too!!!:D

My favorite is a S&W 69 Combat Magnum. I keep her loaded with magnums, but I always have a reload of snakeshot. Might see a predator or hog, but I’ve seen alot more rattlesnakes.

For woods walking I carry a S&W 340 loaded with .38 SPL +P and one CCI Shotshell round for snakes.

During hunting season, my S&W 329 loaded with Buffalo Bore 255 gr. Keith 44 mag. ammo.

I usually pocket carry a little LCP loaded with Speer LE rounds. Then again, sometimes I take a 1911, FNP .45, or my takedown 10/22 on the Magpul backpacker stock. Until I got the LCP, I carried a Beretta 950BS .25. It was my back-up gun when I worked as a deputy sheriff in CA a very long time ago.

For woods walking I carry a S&W 340 loaded with .38 SPL +P and one CCI Shotshell round for snakes.

During hunting season, my S&W 329 loaded with Buffalo Bore 255 gr. Keith 44 mag. ammo.

DANG! That sounds like it would be almost as bad being behind it as being in front of it! Isn't the 329 the ltwt alloy version?

Woods bumming..... generally a M63 Smith or Ruger LCR. Both 22's. If I am in a park (State or National) of some kind, I generally leave the gun in the truck. If I am worried about my safety, I carry a 4" S&W M57 Mountain Gun (41 mag), but it's kind of heavy for just plain woods wandering.

DANG! That sounds like it would be almost as bad being behind it as being in front of it! Isn't the 329 the ltwt alloy version?

Yes, it is. I practice with .44SPL ammo, and the Buffalo Bore 255 gr. Keith is LOWER RECOIL 44 MAG. ammo I carry when hunting, strictly for bear protection at very close range.
I have killed one wild hog (over 200 lb.) close up with it, and the recoil was very stout but manageable.
The 329 is carried a lot but hardly used, it's a backup to my .30-'06 rifle.

When Im out where I wont be around many people I carry a 6.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum. When Im around people I carry concealed, so I carry my Kimber Stainless II 45acp. I need a holster for my S&W model 19, thatd be perfect for me, but I have never found a nice holster.:( Not many people carry revolvers anymore so theres not much in the way of holster choices.

Reactions: 315
When Im out where I wont be around many people I carry a 6.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum. When Im around people I carry concealed, so I carry my Kimber Stainless II 45acp. I need a holster for my S&W model 19, thatd be perfect for me, but I have never found a nice holster.:( Not many people carry revolvers anymore so theres not much in the way of holster choices.

I know a guy.

Little social distancing practice. Some of the ground squirrels in retrospect felt I was too close. Henry lever in .22:

F48ZokO.jpg

I know a guy.

This reminds me.... I need to go to your site and see what kind of revolver holsters you do. I have a 4" 686 that has pretty much never been used, other than range trips right after I got it. The biggest problem with it is holster availability.

You would be very surprised to find what can be killed with a well placed .22 round. Up to and including whitetail deer size animals.
Lots of people killed every year with a .22. Accidentally and intentionally.-KV

Professional Big Game hunter W. D. M .Bell, was a turn of the century (1900) advocate of proper shot placement and used a .22 Savage High Power (similar to a 223) to take down 23 African Forest Buffalo.

He was also known to have taken over 1,000 African Elephants for their Ivory, and liked to use relatively light guns.

You can read about him here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._D._M._Bell

Peter Chapstick also reported an incident in one of his books (perhaps Death in The Long Grass?)where a bird hunter had inadvertently killed several African Elephants with a single .22LR round. The bird hunter had taken a shot at a bird in a tree and had hit an elephant on a hill in the background. The elephant dropped suddenly, either from shock, or from a lucky arterial hit, and fell down the hill, knocking other elephants down along the way and leaving several more dead elephants.

n2s

This reminds me.... I need to go to your site and see what kind of revolver holsters you do. I have a 4" 686 that has pretty much never been used, other than range trips right after I got it. The biggest problem with it is holster availability.

Better to email. The site doesn't show a bunch.

If I’m not hunting or concerned about 2 legged predators I take a S&W M&P22 compact with a Dead Air Mask suppressor or the 10/22TD with the same can. Both are easy to carry, reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot.
When hunting it’s usually one of the 308’s with a Griffin Armament Recce 7 can or if I’m in the limited firearms zone a Ruger 77/44 with a Silencerco Octane 45 can on it.
If I’m hanging out with my buddy on his large piece of land where we can encounter black bear I’ll have a handgun. I’m working on getting a Freedom Arms 45 Colt to carry there instead of the Glock.

Back