Where did all S35VN CRK knives go?

I think S35 may have been the longest run of blade steels in CRK history, at least the most knives made with it... Try finding ATS -34's!

Here is my rare-ish S35 L31 from the pocket yesterday.

zHU9PZc.jpg

It's funny... I basically bought it (right price at the right time) so I wouldn't have to worry about losing my 21 version lol. Which is dumb because now I carry it less. Lots of people seemed to like the 31 inlays better when they came out, but I really love the bolster-like area the 21 inlays create, and the consistency between the show side and lock side. Oh, and the clip placement is better ;) Still looking for a L21 in Spalted Beech.

0Mbm127.jpg

why do u prefer 30 over 35?

In my very non scientific, anecdotal experience, the S30V holds a finer, less "toothy" edge, for longer than the S35. I find the S30V and Magnacut to very be similar, and superior in performance to S35V. Magnacut maintains its edge the best of the 3, but I have the least experience (and number of knives) with that steel.

I have a few damascus sebenzas as well, and find the S35V performs similarly to the damascus blades, but doesn't look as nice, and therefore, is my least favorite of the 4 steels.

These are, of course, my personal preferences based on my experiences only.

I have two Inkozi's & a 25 in S35VN. I know it's not the newest bestest super steel of the week, but I find it to be just about the right balance of toughness & edge holding. For my purposes, at least. they're easy to maintain an edge on, too. I have a 31 in the S45, and it may hold an edge a bit longer, otherwise it seems about the same. I thought about getting one in Magnacut a couple times, but the ones I have now suit me just fine.

I miss S30V. That said, all my current 21's are S35VN. I bought two 31's in Magnacut as it feels a lot like S30VN to me, and S45VN is too much of a departure from S30VN, at least for sharpening (to me). All of mine are off the market and either in my pocket, or in the very, very back of the safe for future use. Anyhow, I thought I saw a small 31 in S35VN in the last few weeks on the Exchange, so they are out there. I wouldn't call them rare, but you don't see them alot right now.

I just took another 21off the market. Just doin my part to rid the planet of the scourge that is the S35VN Sebenza. I updated my numbers above.

Last edited:
I have one of them with black micarta inlays :)

It was actually supposed to be S45VN according to the store, but the certificate and blade stamp indicated it's not.

Honestly, you don't really want a 31 from that era, almost all if not all of the early 31s had lock rock.

Back