Where's the Shaman buzz?

They aren't the "marquee" steels that everyone thinks of, but B70P or RWS34 would be outstanding candidates for this knife.

They aren't the "marquee" steels that everyone thinks of, but B70P or RWS34 would be outstanding candidates for this knife.

I bought a chipped CPM154 SNG off the exchange last year for a steal.. it’s held up to everything I have needed it to do fairly well. The SNG is thicker behind the edge though.

I just realized that I had commented on another thread a few weeks ago and said that the Shaman resembles the Domino and the Manix 2 more than the native 5 and a member made it sound like I had stolen his eldest child. Some of the people in this forum are pretty nasty and it is always the same ones. Too much time on their hands I think. I also seem to see them on every negative thread piping in with some nasty remarks. I guess there are all kinds.

I purchased a Shaman as soon as we got one in store and have carried it everyday since. I've been really impressed with it, its handled tape, cardboard, food, zip ties, etc and has been a pleasure the whole time. S30v is a good steel and has been fine so far, I do agree though I'd love to see this in something tougher like Elmax, M4, Cru-wear, or even XHP. Sal, maybe we should chat about doing one of these in Micarta sometime.

I'm not a fan of micarta but definitely would be cool for many other folks! Do it!

I'll be waiting for m4 + peel ply cf. Hopefully spyderco or knifeworks will do one.

Man I'd love to be able to get the cf scales from Halperin Titanium, that solve me issue all together.

Last edited:
I think we all know other steels are coming soon, Eric basically said so in the video that introduced it. He says something to the effect of "S30V, for now, and.."...I'm sure Cruwear will be coming as will probably DLC coated blades (I hope).

What would be nice to see "on the Shaman" is the likes of the Military, PM2, and the Manix 2 variants of the Jade translucent green milled 3D handle and M4 blade steel. I too would also like to see the CF S90V spoken of earlier. I am very pleased with my Shaman as is though. I love everything about it. It's right up there on my favorite list next to my PM2's.

I bought one and it had a bit of up and down blade play. Enough that you could hear it clicking under moderate hand pressure. Loosened the pivot out on both sides and it stopped. Then it had side to side play. Snugged it down until it had no side to side and got the clicking up and down play all the way out. Wasn't too hard to do, but maybe Spyderco should tune a 150 dollar knife up a bit better!

It is a lot bigger blade than it seems. I really like the solid feel and compared to a knife I consider really large, like the Strider SmF shows just how deceiving the true size is.
51t5pu.jpg

Hi Jill,

Thanx for the pic.

Sorry about the fine tuning. Though you are probably pickier than most and better at fine tuning than most.

sal

Thanks Sal, I'd just got the knife and I admit I check all new blades out thoroughly. I'm always a bit upset to find anything less than perfection initially. After I got the clicking out, I've steadily been nothing but impressed by the Shaman. Such a solid well made knife! Love everything about it.

I spent a great deal of time developing the design. More than 2 years and many protos, textures, etc. We used S30V to make other more exotic materials available. On the "other" forum, the Shaman discussion thread has requested S90V & Carbon Fiber. Sounds good to me.

sal
This is an ergonomic dream. Can't wait for the Sprints. Great job once again Sal/Spyderco!

IMG_3649.jpg

Back