Which Benchmade are you carrying today?

My Valet came in this afternoon! What a beautiful knife and I really like the size, sort of like the Mnandi in that respect.

Unfortunately, my first Benchmade with an uncentered blade. Not rubbing the liner or anything but it's such a thin knife that the 1 mm or so makes a big difference. I have the same complaints as the reviews I read: 1. clip is really nice deep carry but too big for the knife and I don't know why the screws aren't recessed, and 2. the action is the worst of all my Benchmade knives. It flies out with the thumbstud but the Axis lock is a two-handed effort. Almost gritty and just not smooth compared to my other Benchmade knives, pretty surprising.

I hope the action improves but I still am very pleased with this knife, it's a nice office/work knife.

My Valet was my carry for today also. It is my favorite knife of my 2018 purchases. I agree with the pocket clip and screws. would be great if the screws were recessed as it gets stuck too easily as it goes into the pocket. hope your action gets better.

First day back at work after the kids were hospitalized with RSV. Got my 940-2 and my work sharpening equipment
vz7XobZ.jpg

First time sharpening s30v. It didn’t really need it because it still had a phenomenal working edge, but getting it to a hair popping edge was far easier than I though.

My Valet was my carry for today also. It is my favorite knife of my 2018 purchases. I agree with the pocket clip and screws. would be great if the screws were recessed as it gets stuck too easily as it goes into the pocket. hope your action gets better.
Action seems to have improved and/or I've just adapted to it more. It's not a smooth or natural motion, but I can close it one-handed with the axis lock now; however, I'm not sure how much I want to do this as the tip sometimes grazes my palm. Deployment is excellent.

I have to say that I really like this knife: it looks great, is a perfect size for a "gentleman's folder", and has better blade geometry than my Foray (which is basically a wedge).

I sold my first Grip in 2015, but since then I guess my tastes have come full circle. The 551-1 is such a great knife!

BYAwAgH.jpg

Man, I picked up a KW Exclusive in Micarta/M390 and really dug it. Then I bought a sheepsfoot in 154cm before the discontinued knives dried up and after it dominated my pocket I bought a -1 Sheepsfoot. The Griptilian is one of Benchmade's best designs. I don't know why I always sold my Grips in the past.

Yesterday's carry. I'm shocked at how much I love this knife. I never gave the Grip a chance early on.

ckhvxTUDJBAQm-IJZRqEre5_D9XNkAdXtCDWIU5JchYJN9C2rcdA-H2phMzFF7QdIQGidqo0mfP-NtRXN_jNDEFxgvWrm49GqcC2ZxBoNnQ1dttHJc9ehbft2F6RSAC66LOha2x1F58=w2400

Today:

DgaxzR62In8cfu-ZIWIc9IupodrEcQEZKJx5n1RwYMqGp-FwiJC3FPNUl3GHo-a-l2ShrFIwIzIkM3Z8vt41CmKpjhadCLx3m7PX0oibF-a_7ILH6f55qybG4dvPZUmG_RB8vzTouro=w2400

Last edited:
Back