Which knife would you choose...

Well, for temporate I suppose I'd take this one.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1089843-Fletcher-Knives-O-575-Initial-Impressions

If tropical, then this one... wouldn't want the steel handle in a frozen environment given a choice.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ler-Hollow-Handled-Survival-Beast-(Photo-Hvy)

DSC_0259.jpg

In both cases because I trust the knives to do what I ask of them.

If I am stranded out in the woods, then I likely did something to choose to be there in the first place. I suppose I might be driving somewhere and get stranded, but would likely have more tools to choose from at that point. I likely would have two knives with me. Lately it would be a Dozier Personal and a SAK or GEC #42. Sometimes take the Kabar Becker BK-16 on walks as a substitute for the Personal. One knife that I can choose, Blackjack 125.

As a young man, it would have been my Buck Special. Later on, it would be my Cold Steel Outdoorsman. Now, it is my Busse BOSS Sating Jack or Badger Attack TAC (which went to Afghanistan with my oldest).

Well, one knife…sort of. I have a few I would choose from, but all are systems built around the main blade.

Most likely I would opt for my Habilis Bush Tool or my close second, the Bushcraft Tactical from Martin Knives:

Habiliis Bush Tool:

Martin Knives Bushcraft Tactical:

Skookum Bush Tool:

Martin Knives SERE model:

Add BCUSA tarp shelter and my water-system along with appropriate clothing and I’m good for a few days…

ROCK6

I would take my Busse Battle Mistress. It's a knife, a hatchet, a prybar, a shovel, a weapon, etc., etc..

But I wouldn't feel undergunned if I had any quality brand of 3"-6" full-tang fixed-blade, or a Vic Farmer....

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I have a cold steel master hunter in carbon v with a custom jute/epoxy handle. I also just picked up a cold steel SRK in carbon v. It's got a mirror polished scandi grind with a little bit of convex going on. While they're both a little big either would work fine. Or my mora companion work work just fine too.

Come to think of it, the knife in my pocket would do just fine too, it's a Cold steel Hold Out II.

Just thinking out loud here, I'm not even going to spell check! so HA
I keep seeing these threads asking which knife if you were stranded on a desert island, or in the deep woods, or whathaveyou. And a lot of folks usually pick their biggest baddest blade. But nobody really talks about what'd they'd actually do with their knife.

Chopping firewood? Ever look around in the woods? the ground is covered with wood out there! Much if it is quite small to begin with. Raining? Look up in the trees, theres lots of dry dead wood up there! There's plenty of wood for many many weeks.

Make weapons/hunting tools? I could see this. A small knife can do this.

Making traps? Again a small knife is easier to use.

Making fire making tools? Once again a small knife is perfect.

Skinning any game that you can scare up? Small knife.

Starting to catch my drift?

Anyway, here's what I'd do. I'd first pick up as much dryish fire wood as possible and stack it up by wherever it is I decided to sleep/camp. I'd make some of it into tinder using my knife, much of the wood will already be kindling sized. Then I'd start a fire either by using my matches, lighter, ferro rod, or by rubbing two sticks together ;)
Then I'd find a log about the right length and diameter, break off or whittle off the branches with my knife and make it into a ridge pole with the help of two handy trees. Or just one if that's all I can find. Then whittle some smaller logs/sticks to hold up my roofing. I'd cover the shelter with pine boughs, leaves, pine needles, moss, lichen whatever is handy until it's wind/water proof and then transfer my fire to a place in front of my house.
Then while I'm sitting by my fire in my dry warm home, waiting for death :D I'd whittle up a spear for fish or a trap for squirrels. And if I caught anything I'd skin it with my sharp little knife.
There's not a ton of work for the knife and pretty much none that requires a large or thick knife.
Now, if I were out to just have some fun, I might bring a saw or axe as to cut down a few saplings and not have to hunt for the right wood on the ground. But then again, a small sharp knife has no trouble push cutting through a wrist thick sapling. Anybody read WoodCraft by Nessmuk? He got along fine in the woods for more than 50 years with a small belt knife and a small 'pocket axe' And could get along fine without the pocket axe.
I know I know, I'm spoiling everyones fun :p

I keep seeing these threads asking which knife if you were stranded on a desert island, or in the deep woods, or whathaveyou. And a lot of folks usually pick their biggest baddest blade. <SNIPPO>
I know I know, I'm spoiling everyones fun :p

Exactly. I mentioned my Battle Mistress, but the fact is, she's never been on a single camping trip. I have a large knife collection but use the same Brian Andrews Off The Map Custom Bushcrafter and Vic Farmer on every camping trip. And I use either the Busse BAD (3 1/4" blade?) or a Randall Model 8 (or a Spyderco Native folder) on every hunting trip. But there's some fantasy involved in the often-mentioned "survival scenario" where you only get to bring one knife. So I fantasize about actually using the Busse Battle Mistress that I paid a stupid amount of money for. :)

Stay sharp,
desmobob

I keep seeing these threads asking which knife if you were stranded on a desert island, or in the deep woods, or whathaveyou. And a lot of folks usually pick their biggest baddest blade. But nobody really talks about what'd they'd actually do with their knife.

That’s a good point. My take is a little different; big knives can be very function, do many different tasks including small-knife chores and are often more efficient with larger knife tasks. As much as I would want a large knife, my issue is that they don’t always fit my needs. They are often too cumbersome and the reason they get left home. Very rarely would I actually care a larger blade on my body (usually the pack) and when I do, I’m limited on some activities. I’ve found for most tasks, I can get by just fine with a smaller fixed blade (add a saw and I’m really set). Additionally, it’s easier for me to always have with and on me.

ROCK6

Rock6, that Martin SERE is a really nice blade. Nice little woods package(s). I prettty much follow in line with Rock6's ideas. I just seldom carry a big knife along with me (big= >6" blade length). There are few things I would likely do that a smaller knife can't handle. The important part is that you choose a knife that you actually carry, not some fantasy piece. For me, that usually means a smaller knife and often that includes a large 111mm SAK.

Esee Izula 2. I went a little over a year where this was the only knife id use when it came to outdoors tasks and I edc'd it quite often. I got to a point where the size wasnt as much of a factor because there are ways around it. (Carving wedges for splitting wood if necessary... ect) I think the best knife to have in a situation like that is one you are familiar with and comfortable using.

I think this starts with a false premise.

If you can only have one.....gun...flashlight...knife....etc.etc.etc is a main stay of the interwebs. That and what if you're attacked by bears. It is a proven fact that more people online are attacked by bears and rattlesnakes than anyplace else.

Way back when, I went through a survival course . I had a Buck 110, pretty popular in the 60's. I could NOT build a shelter or do many chores as "easily" as the other guy could with his 7 " Ka Bar. That big knife really DID have a advantage . the Buck cleaned fish and did many things around the base camp quite well. To this day I believe in a pocket knife and a large blade, khukuri, machete, etc.

This Camillus got the job done 40 something years ago.
20130215_082801_zps19c77198.jpg

That was my first real knife and I still think it's one of the best ever made.
Thanks for bringing back a ton of great memories Tom.

In torn between my bk9 and newly recieved Scandi ground condor sapien.

My initial inclination is to say the sapien but assuming I'm not allowed a saw, then the truly one tool option would be my bk9..

Back