Which knife would you choose...

I remember seeing an episode Ray Mears did on islands. He interviewed some of the first survival instructors for the military back in WW2 I believe, that specialized in pacific islands. I may have some of the details wrong, but at the end of the episode he asked the guy the age old question of "what is the one thing you would you bring if you had a choice and were going to be stranded on an island?" The man replied "a brunette". I'm going to have to say that's the best answer I've ever heard to this sort of question.

Well, if I am in the woods, it means I am likely burying a body, or at least parts of one. That also means I have a full sized shovel, hammer, pliers, bone saw, hundreds of pounds of quick lye, and at least one heavy chopper............

Wait, what were we talking about?

Well, if I am in the woods, it means I am likely burying a body, or at least parts of one. That also means I have a full sized shovel, hammer, pliers, bone saw, hundreds of pounds of quick lye, and at least one heavy chopper............

Wait, what were we talking about?

+2 :thumbup::D

If its just forest then as big as practical. A Kukri would be best but OP ruled it out. A BK-9 would be great.
If there are some more adverse conditions than being alone in a forest and I am lacking any kind of firepower I would pick
the KM2000:
Good at penetration, still nice choppy, god balance, safe guard which still allows for the use of the thumb for more control, full tang, "coconut" crusher, non reflective, blade can flex 30 degree before snapping, silent multidirectional sheath with excellent retention.... Used by the German military and designed with guys like me in mind when I was 18 (the age when Germans had to serve in the military until recently) :p So probably quite robust.

Probly go my bk2 or Ontario marine raider . For a folder I'd actually take a leatherman wave

Last edited:
A Scrapyard 7-11. I have been using one as a camp knife since they came out. It does most thign very well. Big enough to chop and baton with. Small enough to skin small game if you have to. Just fine for quartering a deer or elk and busting a pelvis or disjointing them.

It has become my go to blade for most things.

I just got a Dozier Wilderness Guides knife. Liking it a lot. Haven't cut anything with it yet, but it may well become my "one" as the blade length is just slightly longer than I am routinely comfortable using which would allow some larger tasks, and still be pretty portable. The other Dozier would be their Wildnernes knife. I like the blade shape better on the Guides knife, but.... like both and have both. Add my little Dozier modified wharncliffe Personal and it might be a good pair.

PUMA clip point. 4 7/8" blade full tang, sharp as all get out and I've used for 20 years

If you were stranded in the middle of nowhere (heavily forested), and could only have one of your knives (no machetes, swords, kukri's etc) which would you choose and why.

Once the canteen is running low of Orange Dry the situation calls for only the finest survival equipment.

I guess for the situation the OP described, I'd have to pick my Condor Hudson Bay. Is it my favorite? Nope, but of the ones I have it is big and stout enough for fire wood processing and shelter constructing.

If it came down to what's in my pocket right now....it would be a Camillus (Darrell Ralph designed) Dominator in S30V and a Case Peanut. Otherwise, it would be one of about twenty other options.

IM going to cheat and say 2 blades.

MDK-Ti and a small steel knife like a Mora companion or even smaller.

I get to cheat because Mission knives are 40% lighter then a steel blade of equal strength.
and one of them with a mora is like 8.5oz vs what? 18oz of the bk9.

Reasons are simple.
Steel blade gives me cutting ability I lose with the Titanium.
Weight means energy spent... the less weight I carry around the longer I will last without food.
Two knives means if one is lost or breaks I am still have the other.
Ti knife wont corrode no matter what.
Also as my "FIGHT" knife the MDK-Ti has a thicker blade then a steel blade of the same strength.. larger wound channels... and something people seem to forget... sharp cuts cause less bleeding then rougher tearing edges on a knife.

Its two "weaknesses" over steel suddenly become an asset, thickness and edge.

Given the limitations and location I would take my TOPS Fieldcraft knife,easy to sharpen and will do quite a number of things. I would really like to have the usual trio or quartet of tools,or maybe just a saw to do the heavy lifting though. The OP said "heavily forested",but knowing the locale,terrain or weather that is typical makes the question a bit difficult.

Probably if I was stuck on the "castaway" island I'd want a machete and at least a flat rock to sharpen it on. I'd also be wishing for a set of stainless pots to float ashore as well as a good multitool and a scandi blade. Given the amount of man made trash washing up everywhere you should be able to scavenge some plastic bottles and other containers.

Apparently when I get my bk9 next Saturday that'll be an excellent candidate for your farcical one knife scenario

Back