Recommendation? Which outdoor knife is your favourite?

It's a tough choice. I am going back and forth, but need to decide before tomorrow. Really looking forward to make the blade!
Speaking of, how were you planning on making the knife? EDM the profile, milling the bevels? I'm unsure which tools you might have access to.

Speaking of, how were you planning on making the knife? EDM the profile, milling the bevels? I'm unsure which tools you might have access to.
CNC mill everything, harden, and then put on edge with a Lansky diamond set. I have a cnc milling machine and different grinders. But want as good control the first time, and will experiment later on

CNC mill everything, harden, and then put on edge with a Lansky diamond set. I have a cnc milling machine and different grinders. But want as good control the first time, and will experiment later on
That's pretty much how I'm doing all my knives at the moment as well, just finished up a new fixture plate last week actually! I second the notion someone had put forward earlier, you should post some work-in-progress pictures at some point.

No serrations. Serrations are hard to sharpen and don't do anything better than a properly sharpened straight edge.

That's pretty much how I'm doing all my knives at the moment as well, just finished up a new fixture plate last week actually! I second the notion someone had put forward earlier, you should post some work-in-progress pictures at some point.

Do you hava a link to your work? I will post my progress tomorrow. Havent done any cutting yet.
No serrations. Serrations are hard to sharpen and don't do anything better than a properly sharpened straight edge.
You're probably right. And I don't have the right tools for serrated edge, which settles it. Don't want to invest more before making the first blade. Now I should make something and see how it works! Looking forward to tomorrow!

Do you hava a link to your work? I will post my progress tomorrow. Havent done any cutting yet.
I have some stuff put up on Instagram, same name there as here. I haven't been keeping it up to date, but that'll be changing soon.

Getting things done today.. Just roughing
igwvg9y.jpg

That baby looks tough and the tip looks pretty thick too, it's looking good.

That baby looks tough and the tip looks pretty thick too, it's looking good.
Thanks. I hope to do the grind very soon, and then it's time for hardening. Going for like 62 HRC, and then we'll see how it performs. Really looking forward to finish it up and start testing.

Had many favorites over the years but one that has held this spot for a couple of years now is the Terava Jaakaripuukko 110. I find this knife to be everything I look for in an outdoors hiking/camping type knife. It is also great with field dressing deer. Love it!

ocHtZt4.jpg

Next attempt..

I like the top one. Very MUKish. Based on the steel thickness you have I would make it a flat grind. I would put a slight ramp on the spine starting where the handle slab ends, like a hump with some ribbing that can double as a fire steel striker. And I would put a hole in the hum for rip cord if I need it. I would also end the handle material on the lower ricaso choil by half an inch to prevent damage to the handle material. That would make it very distinctive and all yours

soXbtls.jpg

This is the second one I made, i am quite happy with the design. Scales needs work, but overall pretty decent. Getting it hardened and will probably pick it up tomorrow! The bevel is polished to grit 2000!

Back