Who Does Not Own An M43?

BTW...we're raffling an M43 in the MKK (Midwest Khuk Khonvention)....:eek:

hint, hint, hint...:D

Cyberbeast, I've never fully worked out how best to use the Hanshee. It bunches the material to be cut and pulls and pushes at the same time. I think the wrist is very important. I noticed when things go right it sails through. It's different than all my other khuks.
I thought the modified AK/m43 shown was a great working khuk- not too much curve, enough. It's angle wssn't actually too diferent from a WWll but was curved rather than stepped.

45/70- that's great about your baby.

munk

The M43/AK that I posted is a little more curved than the picture shows, the pic is not from straight above. The handle is definitely curved like a M43 where a WWII or AK is not, and you'll note it is regular tang rather than chiruwa M43 style. A very good knife, one of my favs although the regular M43 doesn't grab me that much.

I have a Bura M43 with a horn handle (which I treat periodically with Hooflex). Incredible knife. Just a wonderful balance between weight and chopping power. I love it.

Bura wood-handled M43. Never used. Feels wrong. This was one that took a hit to the back of the handle, but aside from that, is one of the most beautiful kuks I've seen. (Middle kuk http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1974562 )

This is the kuk I was going to send off to Dale Sandberg at EDMF to rehandle for me, but maybe I should just try another kuk, instead of tampering with this one in hopes that I can make it feel right for me.

So far, WW II's feel really good to me, and my Chitlangi feels good, too. Daddy size GRS is a hell of a blade, though not my first combat choice. Sirupatis and the M43 just feel wrong- I'm thinking it must be a blade angle thing.

M-43...

It is a MKII M-43, hanshee curve. From the AC sell-off. No HI M-43 tho. I'd like to handle one and see what it's like first. What witht he khon coming up...

Keith

Just got my M43 upon my return yesterday, haven't had a chance to do anything but unwrap it yet though...horn Bura, beautiful graceful curve from tip to pommel.

Don't have any M43s. It looks like a giant jungle fond leaning down after a heavy tropical downpour. :D

Not sure where I read it or heard it, but supposedly you are to snap the wrist when cutting with a hanshee, more of a slicing move. Any input from JP? I still like the look, I fell in love with it the first time I saw it.

Hi Folks!

I would guess to take advantage of the Hanshees shape would be to use a pulling peeling type of cut. After all Hanshees are only for live targets not chopping logs!

& O yes I like M43s!

Heres my favorites!

http://www.toratoratora.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26&PN=1&TPN=1

All are M43s & varients.{mkII/m43 & shotened etc.}
And Include 2 of the 3 styles of scabbard frogs.

1, A named mkII Army Traders Dheradon, 1942 with the later m43 style handle & matching dated scabbard & frog.
The precurser of the M43.

2,A Quetta Bros. 1944 m43 with 1944 scabbard & rosewood handle.{Atlanta Cutlery}

3, A very very high quality M43 carried by a named member of US military counter inteligence/Airbourne in Europe 1944,45. with steel chape scabbard. {normaly the steel chapes have been removed.}

4, A short fat officers versian carried by a named member of the US airforce in the CBI theatre, For use as a survival knife.{1944/45/46} No sign of it ever having been used or sharpened! {Thankyou Dorothy & Walter!}

I hope you enjoy!

Cheers,
Spiral

Just looking through this thread. Things look to be pretty even tetween the have's and have not's considering some have two or more. And then there is Daffy Duck with his dozen or so.
I am going to have to check that thing out later. Other things more pressing right now.:)

I must confess, Pappy, I'm not as interested in the M43 as I was- now I've examined the shape carefully, and listened to the reviews about its cutting ability. I like choppers.

Spiral-<<<<.. would guess to take advantage of the Hanshees shape would be to use a pulling peeling type of cut. After all Hanshees are only for live targets not chopping logs!>>>>>

I've had some success with bundles of smaller branches. It seems to bunch them, push and pull and slice them.

munk

I must confess, Pappy, I'm not as interested in the M43 as I was- now I've examined the shape carefully, and listened to the reviews about its cutting ability. I like choppers.

Spiral-<<<<.. would guess to take advantage of the Hanshees shape would be to use a pulling peeling type of cut. After all Hanshees are only for live targets not chopping logs!>>>>>

I've had some success with bundles of smaller branches. It seems to bunch, push and pull and slice them.

munk

Originally posted by munk

I've had some success with bundles of smaller branches. It seems to bunch, push and pull and slice them.

munk

You don't say.

You don't say.

It was my first double post, Thomas. I'm so proud. What's funny is I tried to say that afterwards- but the program butted in and informed me I could not make more than one post every sixty seconds....Oh, really?

munk

Back