Who Makes The Best Stockman?

Without doubt, Paul, that 881 is among the elite. If you like a smaller stockman, this 825RB is from the same era and comes in @ 3.58" closed.

2u61Lf8.jpg

I see that both American and Chinese Schrades are being shown. Just so newbies are aware, there are apples and there are oranges.
No doubt I prefer the older USA ones, @el gigantor had asked about 4.5 or bigger stockman knives and at present I only have BTI Chinese made 858's. I thought a comparison with the Case would help. I will say the bone one in particular is actually pretty nice,for an orange its a juicy one;):thumbsup:
Edit: to fix my model number typo

Last edited:
Bluegrass contracted a Case Classic Stockman a few years back that is extra large, makes my 858 OT look small. They are not new manufacture, but can be found on the second hand market for very reasonable prices. The fit, finish, and heat treat on mine is excellent.
Edit: Case Tested XX Produced by Blue Grass Cutlery under license from WR Case
Model 6340

Last edited:
That's odd that they mix materials on the Wharncliffe Trapper? I mean I'd want uniformity because the rest of the knife, bolsters/springs are stainless.

Here's a tip though, you can take a loaded leather strop to that shield and polish it in situ, I went for polished bolsters/shield on my Norfolk with this :cool:

Appreciate the advice! I'll try and polish the SS shield up, but frankly I know it'll never match the nickel's glorious shine... that was why I made the wharncliffe trapper my first case/bose purchase, and I was under the impression all ebony versions would carry the same nickel shield...

live and learn. still love the knife, and appreciate your experience :thumbsup:

I have a 1970s Schrade 895, a Buck 301, and a Camillus "Rough Cut Tobacco". The Camillus is my easy favorite for walk and talk, "stout" and hard-working, while the Schrade is slender, light and pocket-friendly. My particular Buck 301 is recent (2010) and has a sad fit and finish (mismatched wood color on the scales, spey blade tip sits above the liners, etc.). It seem plenty sturdy, though.

Last edited:
Best current production stockman is easily Böker Solingen. It’s between Case and Böker and Böker wins very easily.
Historically it’s hard to say outside of customs. That Ken Erickson stockman is incredible if he was making knives I’d 100% buy one.

The early 1900s Case stockmans look magnificent. The Schrade lineup is my favorite. Something I’ve never gotten to try is the GEC #81 should have traded for one when I had the chance. Probably up there.
Like my Case/Bose even tho it’s not perfect I’ll get it fixed up and recovered one day.

Back