Who removes the pocket clip from their EDC?

In 50 plus years of knife use I've broken a few - never felt real smart afterwards. What really frosts me is the number of knives I've lost.
Clips have had the definite virtue of allowing me to slap my right pocket (front or rear) - before I crawl out of some remarkably awkward "spot" - leaving the knife behind.Some hours latter I finally realize that my favourite tool is gone - somewhere ?. This trauma has cost me a lot of money - I keep buying/trading into dupes. So I can loose one and still be OK.
The last 15 /20 years or so - life has been good - haven't lost a knife - thanks to clip and check habits. Here's the problem - some clips are simply painful to cut with. My guess is this is very much a individual "hand" thing-what doesn't bother my hand - burns yours. or vice versa. To way overgeneralise - large folders don't tend to have as much of a problem with hand fit/clip clearance as smaller knives.
One of the things I've really appreciated about the lowrider clips I've had STR put on knives for me is- somehow - he seems to put 'em where the knife is till real comfortable to cut stuff with. Not a small talent.

Case has made a Mid Folding Hunter pattern with a pocket clip. It is
not removable. Someone gave me one as a gift; I have never
carried it.

I carry in the pocket, and for a time I carried clipless, but I found that I liked having a clip when I was using the knife heavily for short amounts of time, so I leave mine on, but carry in the left pocket, vertically, beside my card holder.

Also, a clip is useful for drive-through when driving alone:

67649164888270817014200.jpg

Keeps the bag closed so the food doesn't end up on the floor :p

I carry my EDC in a pocket holster, so I don't need pocket clip. However, I only remove the clip when it's useless (like the clip on the Skyline, too tight) or it snags on my holster.

I have removed the clips on every single knife I have. But I don't generally EDC the knives.

My EDC is A. G. Russell's Ultimate Pen Knife.

http://www.agrussell.com/Articles/a/144/

At 2" in length closed and 0.2 oz. in weight, I don't even feel it in my pocket. In fact, if I take my pants off and hang them over a hanger, with the pocket opening facing downward, it's so light that the knife doesn't fall out of the pocket. Of course, it's too small even to have a clip.

But when I carry a larger knife, it's clipless. I like the ergos better without the clip.

It is mixed for me. My 3" EDC's are carried in pocket with the clip removed. My 3.5" and up blades are clipped to the pocket or IWB. Waved knives are clipped to pocket.

CLIP PROS:

fast, easy access
keeps lint out of pivot and lock
knife is secure when inverted (think crawlspace contortions)
knife can be mounted in places other than a pants pocket, like shirt pocket, briefcase/folio, IWB, etc

CLIP CONS:

can snag on things and pull out, or scratch them
advertises knife to others
degrades ergonomics when cutting stuff
tears up pocket edges
Can make pocket uncomfortable for reaching into for other contents (this is with tip-up carry, knife at rear seam of pocket)

unless I had a holster, I'd never own or carry a knife without a clip.

but then again, I can't STAND stuff in the bottom of my pockets.

I just took the clip off of my small Sebenza for the first time. Wow. It IS liberating. Think they did a nice job forming the clip to your grip, but it really is nice without it.

Anybody buy the insert for when the clip is off? Thought I would need it, but it's not bad. Plus that thing is like $30. Doesn't seem worth it.

I just took the clip off of my small Sebenza for the first time. Wow. It IS liberating. Think they did a nice job forming the clip to your grip, but it really is nice without it.

Anybody buy the insert for when the clip is off? Thought I would need it, but it's not bad. Plus that thing is like $30. Doesn't seem worth it.

Yeah! ... doesn't the insert cost more than a new clip !? :rolleyes:

I took the clip of my MOD CQD Mk1 but only because I was carrying it in a pouch all the time. I don't mind the clip usually.

Hell, I wish they made slip joints with clips too..
Hey, anyone know of any?

Check out the Byrd Wings Slipit. It's not what I would call a traditional slip joint but I have one and it's actually a pretty darn good knife. Probably not what you had in mind but it's worth checking out if you haven't already.

I don't do pocket clips. I like knowing that my knife is safe and sound down inside my pocket. I used clips for a while but they just never really appealed to me.

My first step with a new pocket knife is to remove the clip - and stow it in the box.

Stainz

I tried to carry a folder with no clip and it's no good for me. I have so much other stuff in my pockets, I don't want to have my knife end up sideways at the bottom of my front pocket everytime I take a step.

I, from time to time, remove the clip from my Spyderco Military and carry it in my watch pocket or deep down in the hip pocket with a lanyard attached.

It's ergonomic either way, but sometimes I just feel removing the clip and carrying it that way is aesthetically pleasing and also less conspicuous. If you're going somewhere like a concert or a professional athletic game, then it's the way to go.

I, from time to time, remove the clip from my Spyderco Military and carry it in my watch pocket or deep down in the hip pocket with a lanyard attached.

It's ergonomic either way, but sometimes I just feel removing the clip and carrying it that way is aesthetically pleasing and also less conspicuous. If you're going somewhere like a concert or a professional athletic game, then it's the way to go.

I might be misunderstanding what you mean by "watch pocket" but that would mean you have incredibly large pants.:confused:

Back