Who smokes a pipe here?

I debated for a long time (OK.... maybe less than a minute) on where to put this, but... pipes require stuff: lighters/matches, tampers, tobacco pouches, pipe bags etc. So, here is where it ends up.

Who here smokes a pipe? What kind and/or style do you prefer? What are you favorite tobaccos? Where do you smoke? Extra credit to whomever can tell me what "I snorked Old Joe Krantz" is all about.

Let's see some pics... show me your pipes, your tobacco, your related tobacciana.

No pics handy at the moment, but I occasionally smoke a pipe (pipes or cigars, I alternate). Usually on my back porch - depending on weather an mood.

I usually smoke a Savinelli (well textured sandblasted, Punto Oro 603), in a half bent taper.

Tobacco wise, I prefer Latakia based blends - rich and woody. No cased or flavored tobaccos... A good English blend will do as well, toasted cavendish and orientals.

Howdy Mongo!

I recognize your screen name and I saw your post about snorking OJK on another forum. I'm a member there too but I use a different screen name. It means you let some of the smoke drift up into your nostrils from inside your mouth. That's where all the flavor is. I snork with almost every puff. Can't taste much otherwise.

My favorite tobacco for the last couple of months has been Magnum Opus. Can't get enough of it.

My favorite pipes are my Vauens. Here's one of my latest Vauens. Not my exact pipe but mine is just like it. Probably my current favorite:

You might recognize this maker. It's a BST:

I usually smoke a Savinelli (well textured sandblasted, Punto Oro 603), in a half bent taper.

same here!

I'm not a big smoker so I'm not too picky when it comes to tobacco, I'm more into cigars;p
Churchills are the preferred right now

Found an edc pic from February that included my pipe/tobacco pouch, etc.

edc_021312_sm.jpg

I have been entertaining the idea of getting into pipe smoking for almost a year now, just haven't for financial woes and lack of reliable research. The guy/s who taught me the basics of knife-making both smoked pipes in the shop (I don't remember what kind or type of tobacco) I just remember really enjoying the smell. What are some quality brands of pipes(prefer straight, rustic) that are under 100.00, and brands of tobacco that are suitable for beginners? Thanks for any information.

I've been smoking Uhle's #300 Blend from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, since college... that's more than 40 years now. I prefer a briar, saddle-bit bulldog, preferably. Goes well with coffee, or a good Scotch.

I have been entertaining the idea of getting into pipe smoking for almost a year now, just haven't for financial woes and lack of reliable research. The guy/s who taught me the basics of knife-making both smoked pipes in the shop (I don't remember what kind or type of tobacco) I just remember really enjoying the smell. What are some quality brands of pipes(prefer straight, rustic) that are under 100.00, and brands of tobacco that are suitable for beginners? Thanks for any information.

In my opinion. Savinelli is your best bet for pipes in your price range. They are well made and the 5 or 6 Savinelli's that I've owned have all been great smokers. They offer a huge variety to choose from. You're sure to find several models that you like for under $100.

Next up would be Peterson.

Something you need to consider is whether you want a Vulcanite or an Acrylic stem. Vulcanite requires a little more maintenance and Acrylic is virtually maintenance free. Vulvanite is slightly easier on your teeth because it is a type of hard rubber. It's softer than Acrylic but it will inevitably oxidize over time even with proper maintenance. Acrylic will stay nice and shiny with little or maintenance. Kind of like the difference between stainless and carbon steel.

Savinelli seems to offer more models with Acrylic stems. Peterson offers mostly Vulcanite stems.

There are other good brands too but those are a good place to start.

Tobacco is a whole 'nother story. What one smoker loves, another smoker might hate. If it's the smell that you find attractive, I would suggest starting out with some type of Aromatic blend. Keep in mind that not all pipe tobacco smells good to non smokers. Blends with Latakia in them, which I like most of all, can drive your wife right out of the house. Those are commonly referred to as English or Balkan blends and they can be a very satisfying smoke. I would stick with either an Aromatic blend or one of the readily available over-the-counter blends like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Captain Black, etc. for starters.

Some other well known, trusted brands with lots to choose from:

Cornell & Diehl
McClelland's
Hearth and Home
Boswell's
Dunhill

Just to name a few.

Some of you guys want to come over and just smoke around me? I used to smoke and enjoy the smell of good tobacco but not all that interested in starting back up, haha.

Pipe smoking and collecting pipes is exactly like knives. Way too many styles, versions, and prices. Good mixed with bad, with plenty of rumors. Just like knives, you don't need to jump in with all your money to start enjoying this pastime.

You can get a lot of smoking from a corncob pipe made by Missouri Meerschaum. Corncobs are great pipes because they are cheap AND they are ready to smoke NIB without being broken-in. Corncobs can still be bought for ~ $10-15. This is the way to go if you want to see whether you will like pipe smoking but don't want to spend a lot of $$$.

Briar pipes need to be broken-in in order to give a cool smoke. A "cool smoke" is one which doesn't have too much moisture (steam burns the tongue) and affets the taste. The cheaper ones tend not to be good smokers at all and can result in unsatisfying smokes and a burnt tongue. Don't get me wrong, most of my pipes are briar, but this isn't necessary to throw a lot of cash into pipes until you've figured-out what you like. Plenty of bad along with the good out there.
Here's one of my current favorites: made from Morta, or petrified bog oak. It is mineralized to almost pure carbon which makes the entire pipe act as a filter during smoking.
RadiceMorta-1_zpse1e8dd7d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The best thing about pipe smoking (besides the relaxation part) is the hundreds of tobaccos available for smokers nowadays. Personally, I would not recommend smoking those tobaccos in the pouches you get in drug stores as they are loaded with stabilizers and sugars to maintain freshness and give a sweet taste (Captain Black). These are the ones that burn the tongue and can turn many people off before they really get started. There are way too many great tobaccos which come in cans for smokers to try. I would recommend Corniell & Diehl, GL Pease, McClellands as great American brands to investigate.

Tobaccos come in 4 categories:
1. aromatics: what most people think about when thinking pipes. these are tobaccos which have been processed with additives to impart specific flavors and aromas to them such as vanilla, chocolate, cherry, etc. This also includes the English "lakeland" flavors, which Americans compare to "soap flavored". There are goods as well as bads here. CAO, MacBaren, WO Larsen are examples of aromatic brands.
2. Virginias: pure tobaccos with little or no additives. These are the closest to straight tobacco flavors you will get. Virginia will cure and age over time and the smoking will become smoother. Highest nicotine content, btw.
3. VAPer -which is a blend of Virginia tobacco and a bit of Perique tobacco (specially cured tobacco from St. James Parish, LA). This gives a tangy flavor to the smoke. Rattray's Marlin Flake is a fav of mine.
4. English: this is tobacco blended with Latakia tobacco. latakia is a type of tobacco which has been cured & aged by smoking over certain woods. This gives a strong, leathery smoke flavor. English tends to be the strongest flavored & smelling tobaccos. You will either love them, or hate them. Haters tend to be wives & GFs, who compare the smoke to "old gym socks". Dunhill is the best known for making english blends famous.

You can find out more about each brand & blend by visiting www.tobaccoreviews.com, which is the most extensive tobacco review site online.

If anyone doesn't have a tobacconist nearby to visit, I suggest that they get their first tins of tobacco from JRcigars.com. They have really good prices and now ship for only $5.00.

Love smoking pipes! I have had quite a few pass through my hands and I only retain a few survivors. I alternate between cigars and pipe, just really depends on what is handy. I have not really got into the "gear" around pipes, but I have 2 humidors, numerous cigar cutters etc etc... but with pipes it seems that my main mentality is, Pipe...check... Tobacco... check... flame... check... Ok all set to go! With a pipe I will smoke wherever smoking it is acceptable. Where I come from people generally dip or smoke cigs, and kind of look strangely on someone smoking a pipe. Seems like there is always some bafoon insinuating there is something more sinister in the pipe, a situation that I soon disregard. Honestly though I find other smokers and non smokers enjoy the smell, but I enjoy it for me.

Here is the only pic of a pipe I have. It's a Viking, probably my favorite carry smoker because of the bowl size. Thing just keeps going and going and going!

Yes... Sir! I´m a pipe smoker - but just in summer. I may just smoke outdoor, says my Better Half. So...

I like to smoke the natural unflavored virginia tobacco mixtures and sometimes english blends with latakia and kentucky or maryland tobacco.

Danish flavored tobaccos are just when smoking in a restaurant etc.

I like to smoke with regular briar pipes and when doing work outside during summer, I like to smoke the Kentucky Meerschaum. I even have several real turkish Meerschaum pipes...

I love to smoke pipes... :D

EDIT:

Pipish days in good ol' Croatia last year at vacation...

Last edited:
I dabble. I use a hand made pipe my cousin gave me, pretty simple. The guy at the tobacco store I used to go to said I had a preference (just by what I said I liked or didn't like after buying) but I don't know what it was. Haven't in a while....

Jeez, you guys show pipes that are still brand-new and never smoked.:D

13715576094_531141ae6a_c.jpg

13715626514_42bc268068_c.jpg

13715291705_af9fd8f3be_c.jpg

My humble collection. Mostly old Peterson's, with a few Savinelli's and Ben Wade's tossed in. I've been smoking pipes fr about 50 years now, and love my Meershaum's in the evening with a glass of whiskey. I order my tobacco from J'R. cigars bulk. The prices the tobacco shops charge is criminal. I tend to go with a blend of Virginian and Burley. Smooth but with a little sweet from the Virginia.

Carl.

Last edited:
Carl - your Meerschaums are just great looking. I like the look of the well used Meerschaum pipes... none is like the other...

What I´m interessted in: Do you guys in the US (or overseas generally) prefer filter or no-filter smoking? In Germany it´s a little hard to get pipes without filters.

Carl - your Meerschaums are just great looking. I like the look of the well used Meerschaum pipes... none is like the other...

What I´m interessted in: Do you guys in the US (or overseas generally) prefer filter or no-filter smoking? In Germany it´s a little hard to get pipes without filters.

Ah, oh no, my heart!:eek:

Please Andi, don't mention pipes and filters in the same breath, I don't know if my old heart can take the shock!:D

No, I don't, nor any of my pipe smoking friends (few they may be) have a filter in a pipe. In fact, among real pipe smokers here, a filter is akin to cheap Dr. Graybow pipes that used to be sold in drug stores. It would be like having a gathering of knife afictionado's admiring Bose and other custom's, and somebody pulling out a China made Taylor knife. I may be an old time purist, but to me, putting a filter in a pipe with good tobacco, is kind of like peeing in the punch bowl.
:D

Thank you for the kind comment on my meerschaums. It's taken about 40 or so years to get them real seasoned.

Carl.

Carl, thanks for the replie. I smoke without filters, too.

I don´t wanna shock your heart at all ;)

I´m the only pipe smoker I know here in Germany, so I can´t compare. But the guys I´ve seen just smoke that highly flavored tobaccos, no way for me. I wanna smoke tobacco and no parfume.

I know what you mean - pipe smoking is celebrating and some kind of lifestyle at all.

When I have time, I gonna post a pic of my favorite Meerschaum. I´m just 29 years old and started pipe smoking about 10 years ago, so no chance for me to see my pipes as well used as yours.

Back