Who smokes a pipe here?

I used to smoke pipes many years ago when I still smoked. I only have a few left, and this one is my favorite.

One of the "carve it yourself" kits from the 70's.

Bjarne pipe, & VooDoo Queen tobacco !!!!

VooDoo Queen is a very overlooked tobacco but my favorite is its Altadis (now owned by Mac Baren) stablemate Count Pulaski. I smoke dozens of blends on something of a rotating basis but that one stays at the top. As for pipes I follow the same path I do with knives -- good quality at a reasonable price. Petes, Savinellis, and cobs make up the bulk of what I smoke with cobs taking precedence in the hot weather. Stuff some Orlik Golden Sliced (sweet Virginia tobacco) into a Missouri Meerschaum Pride natural cob and you're ready to kick back on the patio for a 45-minute, leisurely smoke. At 5 bucks for the pipe and 7 for the tobacco you're looking at a whole lot of quality smoking -- around 20 pipefuls -- for less than the cost of one decent stogie. Guess that's why I haven't bought any new cigars in close to three years now.

I do..

2012-02-26_13-57-39_443.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That´s a Friedrich Hartkopf, Solingen with ebony covers. It has a clip mainblade, a pen secondary blade and a bottleopener. On the backside there´s a corkscrew.

So - some kind of scout knife.

Friedrich Hartkopf is a great company with a great reputation here in Germany. I love their knives and designs very much.

Unfortunatelly this knife doesn´t seem to be in stock at Hartkopf any more.

I hope this helps.

I have a few cobs, and a few rusticated Savinellis. I agree with the Savinellis being great smokers. I mistakenly bought a system pipe when I was first reaquainting myself with pipe smoking after a long layoff. I guess I enjoyed the filter at the time, but now really don't use it. It does occasionally prevent burble, but so does a well-crafted pipe with proper airflow. My tobaccos tend to stay toward the virginias/burleys, as I consider myself a novice, and have not yet developed a taste for the English blends. I figure it will come, just like an appreciation of fine whiskeys or wines (or knives!). Hearth and Home seems to be my "brand" of choice.

While we're on the topic, does anybody have a preference as to what kind of implements one uses for the crafting of a fine smoke? I mean to say, tampers, tools, and lighters. There are all kinds of fancy and upscale items out there, but I keep it pretty basic myself. I use a zippo with a thunderbird pipe insert. I like it just fine. Haven't had much luck with piezoelectric ignition in pipe lighters. No special tamper, etc for me. I use a czech tool.

I just use a basic czech tool as well - and either wood matches, or a basic bic butane lighter. And I have an adjustable reamer around in case the scale gets out of control.

While we're on the topic, does anybody have a preference as to what kind of implements one uses for the crafting of a fine smoke? I mean to say, tampers, tools, and lighters. There are all kinds of fancy and upscale items out there, but I keep it pretty basic myself. I use a zippo with a thunderbird pipe insert. I like it just fine. Haven't had much luck with piezoelectric ignition in pipe lighters. No special tamper, etc for me. I use a czech tool.

I also use just the standard Czech tool and an adjustable bowl reamer to keep the cake shaped right. Prefer plain wood matches, but I carry a BIC for the sheer convenience of it.

Carl.

I hated the Czech Tool so I carried a Brebbia pipe nail, at least until I ground my own from copper.
DSCN0223.jpg

For a little luxury smoking at home, I sometimes use this carved meerschaum tamper.
DSCN0225.jpg

I have a few cobs, and a few rusticated Savinellis. I agree with the Savinellis being great smokers. I mistakenly bought a system pipe when I was first reaquainting myself with pipe smoking after a long layoff. I guess I enjoyed the filter at the time, but now really don't use it. It does occasionally prevent burble, but so does a well-crafted pipe with proper airflow. My tobaccos tend to stay toward the virginias/burleys, as I consider myself a novice, and have not yet developed a taste for the English blends. I figure it will come, just like an appreciation of fine whiskeys or wines (or knives!). Hearth and Home seems to be my "brand" of choice.

No need to consider yourself a "novice" if you don't care for Latakia in English blends.... I don't think I will ever develop the taste for that. I did not find it enjoyable at all. However.... I loves me some Burleys, Virginias and blends of the two. I found four blends at the recent Chicago Pipe Show that have knocked my socks off: MacBerens HH Old Dark Fired, L.J. Peretti blend no. 333, Cornell and Diehl Old Joe Krantz and Briar Fox (a Virginia blend). Of course, I like Carter Hall, an OTC Burley blend. Have also dabbled in some bulk blends from some local tobacconists that are heavy burley blends, and one Cavendish blend.

I have two MM cobs, the most recent being a Country Gentleman with a Walker Forever stem... a great combo! I also picked up three giant Billiards at the show... they give almost a two hour smoke! Two blasted and one smooth... all are lookers! I have one pipe coming in the mail as we speak: it is the 2013 POY for pipesmokersforum. It is a Kaywoodie handmade billiard, blasted with tortoise shell stem... it is gonna be a beautiful pipe.

As far as implements go, I use a Saddleback Leather Cable bag for my pipe bag.... it is perfect! I use the zippo with pipe insert and the good ol' Czech pipe tool. You might also want to find one of those metal windscreens for outdoor smoking.... they come in handy. I'll probably make my own tampers at some point.

The pipe pictured is my favorite smaller pipe... i.e. a 30-45 minute smoke.

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseFruBRNnBii-EQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16VHJHIE9nyseFruBRNnBii-EQ~~60_57.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 11
I used clay pipes in my tobacco-smoking days. They smoke well when broken in — yes, they break in — and they are cheap. I never burned one out, mine lasted until I busted them. They don't travel well, that's why briars were invented. I owned some like these

x1630-50pipes.jpg

and some like these

dawnmist%20admirals%20clay%20pipe.jpg

You need extra long pipe cleaners for the long ones, and straight stems are easier to clean. Their bowls get very hot, the bottom protuberance is to give your fingers a better grip on the stem.

I can't vouch for the quality of her wares, but there is a lot of information here and interesting photographs:

http://www.dawnmist.org/pipesale.htm

I used to smoke Iwan Ries Three Star Blue

Blue.jpg

not for taste but for the smell, like a department store perfume counter. When I didn't need to be sociable, I favored 40–50% Latakia blends.

My grandfather made his own corncob pipes and grew his own tobacco, miserable stuff (you cannot grow good tobacco in Illinois). He was pleased as punch when I gave him this

Prince_Albert_tobacco_advertisement%2C_1913.jpg

25¢ a can in 1953 and way over his budget.

Last edited:
I enjoy a pipe when I have time to sit and enjoy the woods, not much into all the options for baccy but I mix some PA with some finely chopped sumac and mullein leaves to have a mix close to kinnickinnic. I might go weeks or months without it but it is nice to be able to do when there is time and no one there in the woods to be bothered by it. My pipes are handcarved out of dogwood, bowl and stem. They are functional, not much to look at but I am not worried about the aesthetic of it.

I enjoy a pipe when I have time to sit and enjoy the woods, not much into all the options for baccy but I mix some PA with some finely chopped sumac and mullein leaves to have a mix close to kinnickinnic. I might go weeks or months without it but it is nice to be able to do when there is time and no one there in the woods to be bothered by it. My pipes are handcarved out of dogwood, bowl and stem. They are functional, not much to look at but I am not worried about the aesthetic of it.

I'd like to see some pics of your pipes.... I've made a few out of maple. Unfortunately... they look better than they smoke, and they don't look all that great either! I haven't quite gotten down the SUCCESSFUL drilling of stems down yet.

Was kinda thinking about making one of the mountain man rondevous and was wondering how the old clay pipes smoked?

4620-403-010_250x250.jpg

Like was shown above. I guess they do alright? But a bit fragile?

Doc

I occasionally smoke my great grandfather's Soren. Very light, well ballanced, and never gets hot.

Attachments

• photo (45).jpg
    photo (45).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 9
Was kinda thinking about making one of the mountain man rondevous and was wondering how the old clay pipes smoked?

4620-403-010_250x250.jpg

Doc

Doc, I don't have any direct experience with clay pipes, but I hear that they are fragile and the bowl gets real hot when you smoke it... gotta hold it by the stem.

4620-403-010_250x250.jpg

Doc

There's a reason clay pipes died out. Clay pipes are the reason men experimented to find a good wood to make pipes out of. :D

Carl.

When I was deployed to the sandbox I was forced to use a regular bic lighter for my flame, and a .223 casing as my tamper. It made me feel really bad ass :cool:

But all this talk about pipes has made me want to smoke. Sweet oriental in a Beckler Meerschuam.

7A758E84-F1D0-4E32-811C-63AEC6B34820-892-000000C51D1F6F3F_zps357e99fb.jpg

And here is my humble collection.

75246CC7-0C07-435B-91C8-CA50AAB1E366-892-000000C516457E87_zpsf48002ad.jpg

Last edited:
Back