Who smokes a pipe here?

Smoked cigarettes for over decade, found something better to smoke than tobacco ;)

Always prefer glass pipes, especially if octopus related.

Nice thread everybody- and some beautiful pipes! I worked in a smoke shop for a couple of years when I was in college- best job I ever had. Picked up a couple of nice pipes, but gave them to my girlfriend's father way back when- (He was a retired Army colonel & pipe lover & used them well.)
I still have a small collection of my grandfather's pipes as well a a long stemmed clay "tavern pipe" still in the box. I miss smoking a pipe- the whole ceremony of it. I just may dust off one in the rack & have another go. I miss the nights when I was blending pipe tobacco in a giant wooden bowl- my girlfriend would put my shirt on the minute I got home. Loved the smell.

Knives, pipes, and liqueur. What more do you need in life?

At this point...I'm inclined to say that life us pretty good.
Got tomorrow off, smoked the first bowl in the cob (different than the meerschaum) with the burley cake.

My wife (who will smoke a cigar with me any day) commented on the cigarette esque aroma of the smoke.
I think it may have just been the initial smoke and char of the inside.

Got some serious condensation in the stem that I'd prefer not to have drip in my mouth again...twangy.
Guess I may be exhaling hack into the stem some.

All in all...enjoying it very much.

Kinda dig my little mini meerschaum...cool little pipe. Will get pics up soon.

Got some serious condensation in the stem that I'd prefer not to have drip in my mouth again...twangy.
Guess I may be exhaling hack into the stem some.

All in all...enjoying it very much.

Kinda dig my little mini meerschaum...cool little pipe. Will get pics up soon.

This is the moisture of the tobacco itself, and is the curse of pipe smokers everywhere.

If you can, the best method is to set-out the tobacco you plan to smoke 30+ minutes beforehand and let it dry out some. It can help with really wet tobaccy.

Once you've lit up, you can either use pipe cleaners during your smoke to remove moisture, or you can grasp the pipe by the bowl and give it a shake to get the moisture out of the stem.

This is also why pipe smokers should own more than one pipe if possible, pipes should be left alone to "dry out" for a few days after a smoking session.

This is the moisture of the tobacco itself, and is the curse of pipe smokers everywhere.

Indeed. Traditional German porcelain pipes have a sort of chamber pot to catch the sludge. Here is one deconstructed.

athena%20third%20XMAS%20031.JPG

The chamber pot is hard to clean. I preferred clay pipes, which incinerate almost anything — but even they need to be cleaned and rotated. Long stems are to keep the sludge out of your mouth.

Charming sentiment on the bowl:

athena%20third%20XMAS%20023.JPG

Das allergrößte Kriegesheer kann ohne uns nichts machen,
die Siegesgöttin lacht nicht eher, als bis Kanonen krachen.

Without our bark, the grandest army can retire;
the Victory Goddess will not smile until the cannon fire.

Evidently owned by an artilleryman.

If you can, the best method is to set-out the tobacco you plan to smoke 30+ minutes beforehand and let it dry out some. It can help with really wet tobaccy.

Once you've lit up, you can either use pipe cleaners during your smoke to remove moisture, or you can grasp the pipe by the bowl and give it a shake to get the moisture out of the stem.

This is also why pipe smokers should own more than one pipe if possible, pipes should be left alone to "dry out" for a few days after a smoking session.

this is what I finally ended up doing..
It was way worse with the cob pipe than with my little meerschaum.

but the cob is straight and the meerschaum is bent

Picked up an old Medico for $1.95 today in an antigue store. It looks unused but will get a thorough cleaning before it's first use.

That's the darkest meerschaum I've seen yet. Well done, sir.

People used to buy a new meerschaum pipe, and hire a ship captain to smoke it to China and back. No quick trip in the age of sail.

By the time it had crossed the line a few times, and perhaps sat in harbor during months of contrary winds, it was well darkened. The owner could smoke it with pride.

I tried. But, being a young guy, (okay, I just look young), iit just doesn't work for me...yet. I smoke cigarettes and cigars. I bought a pipe, but...it's just not the same. It doesn't fill the same niche.

But mad respect to everyone who does.

never thought about this.........

I've picked up a couple of gems in antique stores. In fact my go-to was a rescue that I paid $3 for. On youtube there are some great videos on how to clean up a pipe.

As for the Medico, it's a "Brylon" bowl. A resin based substitute for Briar. It doesn't smoke as well as my others but it's ok.

I tried. But, being a young guy, (okay, I just look young), iit just doesn't work for me...yet. I smoke cigarettes and cigars. I bought a pipe, but...it's just not the same. It doesn't fill the same niche.

But mad respect to everyone who does.

Some day... you will be an old Codger. Or, an Old Codger in training... and you will see the light.

I had my first pipe smoke 2 weeks ago, just a simple corncob pipe (meerschaum) and some Dunhill early morning, and smooth&mellow. Im only 26 but everyone calls me a curmudgeon already. I like smoking a pipe, black coffee and strong whiskey. Age is just a number, Codger is a state of mind.
View attachment 353482

Last edited:
I had my first pipe smoke 2 weeks ago, just a simple corncob pipe (meerschaum) and some Dunhill early morning, and smooth&mellow. Im only 26 but everyone calls me a curmudgeon already. I like smoking a pipe, black coffee and strong whiskey. Age is just a number, Codger is a state of mind.
View attachment 353482

I think I have that same pipe at home.

I may be 40, but I can guarantee that age is just a number...I sure as hell don't act like it. The number of times my wife rolls her eyes can attest to that :D

My Grandfather smoked a pipe. I don’t remember details; I was young when he died.

Looking back they must have been briars. Nothing on the rack looked like a corncob, meerschaum, or clay. There wouldn’t have been synthetics in those days.

I do remember him polishing his pipe with an old sock.

There are some seriously good looking pipes in this thread. Here is my humble contribution. I have a Missouri Meerschaum that I smoked for the first time this evening and my beautiful (at least I think so) Ascorti that I've had for a couple of years. Keep the pics coming!

P1070494_zpsc8ce17ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1070496_zps14387afa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I smoke a pipe on occasion.

My first pipe, purchased a few weeks after I turned 18.

BeckerElements1.jpg

My small collection as of now.

DSC00438_zpsa113bc5e.jpg

Lately, I've been smoking some Ruins of Isengard and Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him.

Back