Who smokes a pipe here?

WRONG STUFF CHARLIE MIKE!

Thanks to JollyTime715 for bringing up the necro-thread. I'll see if I can post up some pics.....

Dangit. guess I can't post pics since I went blue. Have some sweet meers I could have shown ya....

Thread necromancy is discouraged...that is an unattractive pipe, imo.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

So I actually use the search function and I am shunned if I were to start a new pipe thread everyone would gripe because I didn't find an old one so what's the right move?

Last edited:
So I actually use the search function and I am shunned if I were to start a new pipe thread everyone would gripe because I didn't find an old one so what's the right move?

Nobody would shun you for starting a new thread. It would likely be encouraged.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Have been enjoying the Briar since 1969, you do the math! here's a family photo of the pipes & one of the stash on hand for ageing
100_0854.jpg

100_1121.jpg

http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Old_Salt
I had many of the pipes you are showing, unfortunately, after 50 years of smoking pipes I was diagnosed with COPD, and in order to quit for my health, I threw all of them away. I couldn't keep them, you see, I would have went back to them. So I've been smoke free now for two months and am breathing just fine. It could have been worse, and it still may as COPD is a progressive disease..

Congrats on quitting Dave, it's been almost 5 years for me now and I don't miss one bit. The COPD slows way down after you quit smoking almost back to a normal age related lung decline, but other good things start to happen like the risk factors for heart attack and stroke start going down.

How many of you buy in bulk via the internet rather than pipe shops? I generally buy in 5 lb bags and occasionally 1 lb bags to sample something.

5 lbs would cost a small fortune at most pipe shops.

How many of you buy in bulk via the internet rather than pipe shops? I generally buy in 5 lb bags and occasionally 1 lb bags to sample something.

I buy from an online seller and put up three or four pounds of tobacco if there is one I like, in case of impending apocalypse.

Best Regards,

Steven Garsson

The tobaks I enjoy just aren't sold in bulk. Eight ounce packs of Esoterica Penzance is about as bulky as I buy and it has been a few years since I bought any of that. Then I jar and cellar it. I just buy 50gm tins a few at a time and cellar them. Doesn't take long to build a cellared stock, just takes a while for the tobak to age, but if you buy a few tins at a time at a rate faster than you smoke in not too many years, you'll have a working cellar. The tobaks I enjoy just aren't sold in bulk.

For me smoking is all about the quality of the smoke and not the pipe. You can do that with many a cheap pipe as so many are just great smokers. Can't say the same about tobaks. So the tobak is paramount. That said, my best smoking briar pipe is a Savinelli 310 poker basket pipe. It had enough fills Sav ground off it's name/stamp. Bought it from a shop in the nude for a couple of ten dollar bills. Cheapest Briar I've ever owned, but the best smoker once I got it broken in.

Couple of drops of olive oil hand rubbed onto the pipe and a good breaking in resulted in a pipe that will never leave my now tiny collection. I've given away almost all of my briars. Just kept three - the Sav Basket, an Erik Nording, and a Randy Wiley. The Sav 310 basket pipe is my best smoking briar. It's also the cheapest briar I've ever bought.
Savenelli.JPG

Last edited:
Back